Dog soldier questions

View attachment 1052743 View attachment 1052744

Here’s a few bad pictures of the attachment point. It’s a Mashed cat adjustable belt loop. Fairly simple, extremely effective. That particular sheath was made to perfection by David Brown.

Thanks for sharing that. The webbing is easy but that plastic piece, not sure if I just lay a heated piece on top of the sheath and clamp it in the press to form or if there is another way it's done.

Thanks again!

That plastic piece is just a bar of kydex spaced to fit the width of the sheath.

I’ll take a few pics when I get home. The belt loop itself has slots sewn into it to accommodate the kydex bar. It’s genius in its simplicity, Eric from Mashed cat makes them.

The sheath is a Buy Brown .. it’s about as close to perfect as it gets.

That plastic piece is just a bar of kydex spaced to fit the width of the sheath.

I’ll take a few pics when I get home. The belt loop itself has slots sewn into it to accommodate the kydex bar. It’s genius in its simplicity, Eric from Mashed cat makes them.

The sheath is a Buy Brown .. it’s about as close to perfect as it gets.

Thanks, I'd appreciate the pic.

I only have thick kydex and a piece that small wouldn't flex very well. So I need to mold it somehow I think.

Thanks!

FWIW, I have a DS6, BGTG, and some other Bussekin.

There are 2 I'd replace immediately should I lose them, almost regardless of cost. My DS6 and my rodent 6. Those 2 knives are indispensable to me. I like my BGTG, TGSE, 511, hog badger, basic 4 quite a lot....don't get me wrong. But those are the 2 knives I'd grab if I had to go out into nature not knowing what I'd encounter. I have countless hours behind the rodent 6 and it fits exactly my usage for a woods blade, and my DS6 is great in the winter in the same role due to being ResC.

Well I'll definitely be stripping my DS6. Tonight I made a sheath for it but I forgot to block the fuller and the indentations took the paint off toward the tip.

co556guy- I can understand what you mean. So far I've got a Boss Jack, TGLB, Park Ranger, Regulator and now a Flak Jack and the DS6. While I don't think I'm allowed to sell or trade it on this forum, I the Flak Jack is going to be swapped for other INFI or maybe something else of interest. However, the DS6 has all the attributes of a perfect design. Strong tip/point, flat/thick spine, excellent belly, a handle that just feels so comfortable and natural in the hand, and it's INFI!!! Only real gripe I have about it is the choil. Who actually uses it?? I'm also happy that it (and the Flak Jack) arrived and took the hair off my arm. This is something I haven't experienced with any other Busse's so that was a great improvement.

One day when we have all gone to the bacon factory, the next generation will be talking about what a sleeper the DS line is. It is such a great versatile no nonsense design !!

One day when we have all gone to the bacon factory, the next generation will be talking about what a sleeper the DS line is. It is such a great versatile no nonsense design !!

I'll be honest, prior to getting it in my grab bag, I didn't really know about it. And I definitely did not know any SYKCO's were made from Infi! What actually happened when I unwrapped it was I saw the SYKCO stamp and set it aside. It was nice but I was hunting for Infi. Then I unwrapped the Flak Jack. Woohoo...Infi!! Then I was admiring the Dog Soldier's design and utility and saw the little "INFI" stamp.... I yelled in celebration and had to stop myself as not to wake my wife up.

I didn't have a chance to get to the hardware store to buy alligator clips and citristip but I will this week.

The DS6 & 8 are just about perfect ( in my opinion). Definitely a lot of bang for the buck. The only “improvement” I’d make would be a choil-less option.

... However, the DS6 has all the attributes of a perfect design. Strong tip/point, flat/thick spine, excellent belly, a handle that just feels so comfortable and natural in the hand, and it's INFI!!! Only real gripe I have about it is the choil. ...
I rarely use a choil, and feel they are mostly a waste of space. This is just one reason why I especially like the crinkle-coated Basic 3, B5 & B7 - the choil is only 1/4" across measured at the cutting edge (it's a little larger on the B9).

Down thru the years I have been a big fan of the Basics, especially the B3, B5, B7 & B9, and they are still some of my favorites - I find the handle design (shape/size) and material to be very comfortable.

I rarely use a choil, and feel they are mostly a waste of space. This is just one reason why I especially like the crinkle-coated Basic 3, B5 & B7 - the choil is only 1/4" across measured at the cutting edge (it's a little larger on the B9).

Down thru the years I have been a big fan of the Basics, especially the B3, B5, B7 & B9, and they are still some of my favorites - I find the handle design (shape/size) and material to be very comfortable.

But on the basics you still have about an inch of waste real-estate from the hilt to the cutting edge...no? It's just not cut into a choil.

.......The over-wide ricasso on recent Basics (since 2010), causes the index and middle finger to splay when using the choil to choke up. Some find the DS design in that area more comfy, because it keeps your fingers closer together when choking up.
Agreed. The DS being birthed in the Scrap Yard was a big plus. I don't care for the larger ricasso that is needed on the Basics in order to put a talon hole in front of the res handle.

View attachment 1054249

The only particular knife I like enough to have 4. I actually sold all my TG variants in favor of the DS6 & DS8 ( I do have serious sellers remorse if I think about it though ).

We need a DS4 , 10 and 12....

I know I'll be paying closer attention to DS offerings. But are they announced here or do I need to check the SYKCO page every day?

I love my DS6 but I would definitely buy a longer version if offered.

Your best bet would be the knife exchange here on blade forums. They pop up every once in a while. The prices lately have been really decent as well.

The dog soldiers were sold on the Busse sight. Long gone at this point though.

Unless there’s something coming we don’t know about yet (hopefully).

Last edited:
Your best bet would be the knife exchange here blade forums. They pop up every once in a while. The prices lately have been really decent as well.

The dog soldiers were sold on the Busse sight. Long gone at this point though.

Unless there’s something coming we don’t know about yet (hopefully).

No, what I meant was, I'm not sure if the Sykco knives are announced here when they are going to be offered like the Busse's are.

Oh, ok. Yes , they have been announced in the Busse thread as the new models come out.

Yep there are at least a couple off the top of my head the SS-4 and an INFI Scrapper 5.

I'll be paying closer attention to the forum then, assuming future INFI offering are announced there. That's the best combo of specs for me. Usually practical and highly utilitarian blades and if we throw in res c and INFI....win!

Back