dogwood interview from blade

Looking good Dan. I have been thinking about how most blades are way to thick. I do knifemaking as well Dan , I think by going with the thinner stock is the way to go. I just recieved a custom Puukko that I had made for me and the thing cuts like a laser and nice and light. So I went to the anvil and I banged one out myself. I have not completed the knife yet but I have finished the blade and I am rather pleased. So keep up the good work. I have watched your work progress and your doing great.

Take care. Mark

I have noticed a few makers are advocates for the thinner stock knives, especially Koyote knives, and I see a lot of comments on JK handmade forum.

I think thick blades are combination of a good idea gone to far and marketing run amuck. Before the industrial revolution knives had to be made from as little steel as posable to make them affordable. After the industrial revolution the man power cost more then the steel so blade could be made to the best specks possible, but the thicker is better idea had no completion point. The marketing point is because the easiest way for a maker to set his work apart from other is to say mine is stronger, and the easiest way to make a blade stronger is to make it thicker. Unfortunately this has led to 1/4" thick pry bars with a sharp edge. This is my concern, The edge of a knife is a wedge (incline plain) and the lower the angel of a wedge the more efficient it is, the wider the spine of a knife the steeper the angle for the wedge. It is my thoughts that the first job of a knife is to cut and the lower the angle of the blade the better it will cut so a blade should be only as thick as it NEEDS to be. Also the thinner the blade the lighter the knife and as someone who has carried tools on a belt for most of my life I have learned that the lighter the tool the better. I have an article that I am writing for equip 2 endure on the subject as a follow up to my "stainless vs. Carbon steel for survival knives" article.

thank you for checking in if I can answer any question pleas let me know

Last edited:
Back