Doing a Show or...Making a Living with your Leatherwork or........................

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
For 53 years, on a weekend in mid August, there has been the Tehachapi Mountain Rodeo. The rodeo is part of a larger festival that is city wide. Parade's, arts and crafts fairs, car shows, beauty contests, dances, concerts etc. Local events have never been super great for us but we thought we'd give this a try. We'd had a booth at the rodeo a couple of years ago and done a little better than breaking even so we were kinda jaded on the deal. We have several friends on the rodeo comittee and they kept telling us you need to go to the Sponsor dinner too. Thats where the money is we were told. The Sponsor dinner was on Thursday night and the rodeo performances were on Friday and Saturday evenings followed by a dance Saturday. The Sponsor dinner is where the Rodeo comittee thanks the sponsors for all the donations that make this event possible. During the dinner there is a silent auction and a live auction to raise more money. They auction off everything from a horse to a weeklong vacation. Ya have to wonder how nice a dinner could you have in the dirt of a rodeo arena but hats off to these guys they really pulled it off. It was really nice, a great BBQ and open bar.

We were told to set up next to the arena in an area that is normally the box seats during a rodeo performance. At most shows you are limited to a10' by 10' booth space but here were told that we could use as much space as we wanted. There was only one other vendor there that night. As this location was temporary and we'd be moving to the regular vendor's area for Fri and Sat we decided not to set up a whole booth but just to do a couple tables. Our friends were right, the Sponsor dinner was the place to be.

fsLT5GZ.jpg

So this was our area and Nichole is helping a cutomer. We've found that its important to be at a show and set up, ready to go sometime before they open. So not a lot of people here yet but we're ready to go and made some sales befor the dinner opened and the crowd got there. The stuff set up beyond us is the silent auction and the other vendor is behind the camera.

xgh1wZb.jpg

Some of Nichole's purses and a pair of chinks I'd made up. That stand also displays one of Nichole's wool vests that she makes. Its one of my own personal ones that can get dusty from the show. Those that we have for sale we keep wrapped in plastic to keep them nice. we've found it important to have a wide variety of items to sell, you have to try and anticipate your crowd so to speak. At a rodeo you'll have a lot of people that are only "cowboy" for that weekend. So realistically I didn't expect to sell those chinks and didn't. But they will sell the next time we do a cowboy show.

qwygmfg.jpg

The knife table. Again following our idea of having as wide a variety as possible we had knives (all my knves come with sheaths), Leatherman sheaths and a couple of holsters. With the knives we try to have several handle, blade, sheath and price options there . Even had a Santuko as can be seen in the pic. Its also importatn to have lots of business cards to hand out and maybe a brochure which is what is in that box.

0uxJvk1.jpg

The other table and Nichole sporting her beltless sheath. We'd hung those headstalls there on the fence. We'd had them on the table and noticed that nobody was looking at them. Hung them on the fence and everybody started looking at them , from both sides of the fence. Importantly it brought people in from the other side too. I've found it important when trying to sell your stuff how its displayed but also where. So that corner of this table where the tally books and the spurstraps are that was the hot spot. Just the way that traffic flowed by. Sold a handful of those tallybooks and some spur straps. We make two types of the Tallybooks, one at of a soft chap leather and the other tooled out of veggie tan.

SB9HNBY.jpg

Nichole visiting with a friend and customer. Fri we had to be set up by 4:30 as the gates opened at 5 for the 7 performance. This time we took our EZE Up shelter and another table. The EzE up is great because providing shade etc it really defines your booth area particularly like now when you were more limited to the actual 10x10' space.

oNtpqvu.jpg

This shot pretty much shows how we looked Fri and Sat. Doc and Audrey stopped by. More good friends and customers. Doc has one of my belts on andAudrey has one of Nichole's carved ones but ya can't see it cause she has her shirt untucked. Doc is the official Vet for the rodeo so they were working. Our friend Asia is sitting in the chair. Thats our ranch in the background of all these pics. Fri we were able to watch most of the cattle and the 3 retired horses that are out there come down to water. Sat never saw a one.

EXuPa4J.jpg

Sales have been taking a toll on stock but that is ok in fact thats great. Isn't that why we are here? I once read an article by an MBA leathersmith that did alot of shows. He felt that a show was a success if he sold 10 percent of his stock. Tell ya what I don't have an MBA but selling 10 percent of your stock is a terrible failure in my book. We've done shows where we didn't bring 10 percent back home.

Our wide variety tactic paid off. When the show was all said and done Sat evening the only thing we hadn't sold any of was the headstalls and those chinks, we sold one or more of everything else. Only brought home two knives, Nichole sold a lot of her purses. The important thing to remember that a show like this can do for you is to make some contatcts. The local gun store owner got hooked up with Nichole for her to make him a line of CCW purses to carry in his store. A lady that bought a knife and ordered a beltess sheath for it went on line and ordered another knife. Even a guy I knew (roped with him several times at local brandings) said "I knew you made knives but had no idea you made belts too". And while he's looking at one of the bridle leather belts: "you can't find leather this good in a store or this kind of craftsmanship". "Can I pay you now to make me one of these belts, this one is a little big for me". You bet Harvey, took four orders total. Even the local Tractor Supply manager came in. " I know you he said and I see your knives and sheaths come into the store all the time, I never knew it was you making em". Kinda cool. Good weekend. Another thought always use quality stuff. That comment about not being able to find this kind of leather and craftsmanship we heard many times during the weekend. And our friends were right. The Sponsor dinner Thurs was about half the sales and the other two days were the other half.

Last edited:
Neat set up Dave and Nichole. I used a similar set up at Cuttings, Team Pen Events etc. and The National Finals for USTPA and Team Pen America. I did that for several years and it didn't take long until I was getting orders from all over the USA. While it's very nice to sell a bunch at the show, the real value come for weeks and weeks after a show in the form of orders generated by the exposure.

Paul

Dave thanks for pictures it was really interesting like I was there. Its great when you can cash in your hard work. Whats those thongs and strap like leather on fourth picture?:thumbup:

Thanks guys. Macan those thongs are "stampede strings". They have beads made out of my excess handle materials. They are used to hold your hat on in real windy conditions. They work really good. The straps are my folding knife pouches. The strap end goes around your belt loop and the knife pouch goes down in your pocket. Need your folder and pull on the strap. There's your knife. Let the pouch hang until you need to put the knife away. Handy deal.

Very professional, neat tidy and well laid out, couldn't ask for a better presentation right there!
G2

Nice layout, great pics too. Looks like the weather was pretty nice - number of folks in long sleeves and I don't see anyone pouring sweat... Left California in 2005, I miss those rolling hills.

thank you for sharing, always great to see your stuff!
oh, and something i have been wondering about, what boots do real cowboys/ranchers wear? i know, this probably sounds funny, but i've always eyed cowboy boots for a long time, but couldn't get myself to buy some as they seemed to be not my thing, and frankly, for a long time people were making fun of guys wearing them. a friend of mine recommended sendras, but that is about the only recommendation i got.

Last edited:
Thats a tough one to answer VP. We have different boots for different purposes. For riding right now I'm wearing a pair of Twisted X (the brand name) tall top boots. These however will probably be my next pair of riding boots. Nichole has a pair of these in brown with turqouise tops and I've been very impressed with the quality and workmanship:

https://www.solanoswesternwear.com/men/boots/tall_top/8504-WN_Solano_Buckaroo

For just kicking around, working in the shop etc something more like this:

https://www.solanoswesternwear.com/men/boots/traditional/10010925_Ariat_Hotshot

Brands that I've worn and been happy with have been Twisted X, Justin, Nocona, Tony Lama, Ariat and White's (they make a whole sub species of boot that lace up called a Packer and they are kings of the packers for sure).

Thanks guys!

Ken, no we didn't sell another pair of the roughout spurstraps although we did get those other two built in time to take back to the show Fri. However we did take an order for a roughout pair of a type we'd never seen before. Guy ordered them for his daughter and showed us pics of them on his phone. Basically a straight strap, like a belt 1.5" wide with a 1.5" wide buckle. Pretty simple to do. Guess thats what all the barrel racing girls are wearing these days. Something like this:

http://www.grahamequine.com/catalog.php?item=23

Course we don't do the bling. Not who we are and not what we make. But we can certainly cover a roughout version of this.

Terrorbl, yeah the rodeo grounds is at 4,000 ft in elevation, our ranch behind in the pics (to the north of the rodeo grounds) goes up to about 7,000 to 7,500. We are actually the southern end of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. Long sleeve shirts are the norm in the cowboy world anyways. The only short sleeve shirts I have I refer too as "shop" shirts. We let the Doc slide on the short sleeve shirt for two reasons. 1) He lives about 20 miles due south in the Mojave desert. 2) As a large animal vet he's likely to be shoulder deep in either a horse or a cow, in places most folks don't want to be, at any time. Short sleeve shirts work pretty good for that. It got cool enough Sat evening that Nichole put on her wool vest.

Last edited:
I like the variety and getting items off the table and on some kind of vertical display makes a big difference as you saw by putting stuff on the fence.

Prior to working at DLT I did tradeshows in other markets and found just what you did. The other thing I think would help is to find some fitted table clothes for your tables or to get some made. The fitted ones are nice because they won't blow around in the wind like normal table clothes and they sit all the way to the ground. It will hide inventory and stuff under the tables and really clean the whole area up. I like the throws you have on top and would still use those, just get the bottom covered up. My $.02.

My boss also thinks your beltless sheath is awesome. He's a minimalist and never wears a belt, that is right up his ally. I'd have to see what edc blade he'd like and see if your sheath would fit.

Thanks for the input Eric that is a good idea, fitting those so they don't blow around and hiding all the stuff under the table. Actually a very goood idea. The table clothes are cheap saddle blankets we found at a truck stop. Unfolded they fit these 6 foot tables just about right. The saddle blanket theme works for us of course and the color was just right to highlight our leather. Sticking some sheeting onto the sides to come down to the ground is a great idea and about 6" down run some elastic so it is fitted around the table. Tehachapi is windy and we'd taken all our weights from our workbenchs and brought them to hold things down. You can see one upper left here in this pic:

sKUEMYw.jpg

Funny thing was folks kept picking them up and asking about them, probably could of sold em several times.

I've made that beltless sheaths for a few knives up to 7" oal. Seems like 6.5" is better and some of my small knives like my Gordo or Vaquero Ultralight just go away in that sheath.

Oops Macan I just saw those rein connectors and was wondering if that was what you were asking about in pic 4 when you asked about the straps. They are here in this pic. 8/10 oz veg tan oiled. with a Sam Browne stud, these connect the rein to the chains on our bridle bits. There are lots of other designs out there for this deal but this is my own twist on it and they work great. Sold a couple of pair here at this show.

Last edited:
Beautiful work Dave, very very nice.

See, I am not the only one wondering about the weights.
Oh and I remember those turquoise boots, that's partially why I was asking.

weights: I've got a bunch of old dive weights I've been meaning to do this with. They're 2, 4, and 6 lb bags of lead shot. I've got one that's neoprene but the others are a nylon mesh and I'm worried they'll mark leather. Was also thinking they'd make good door stops (perhaps a sales pitch for your next show?). I'm guessing yours are filled with shot?

Terence

Yeah Terrorbl we use these weights to hold down the leather on the workbench while cutting, tooling etc. They are filled with lead shot. Perfect for that, hold things still and don't mar the leather.

Thanks kaizo!

Back