Don Hanson/1086M

Congratulations Don for your inclusion in the 'Hamon: Mark of a Premier Blade' article in the November Blade Magazine. A very nice, informative article by Mike Haskew. Good information from differential hardening experiences with hamons.
I thought it was interesting to see Don's knife picture posted and Don Fogg's sword picture both featured 1086M blades (I am assuming Don Fogg's is from Howard Clark's stock, also?). I know 1086M isn't that widely used, but I do know Howard likes to forge it and L6 for his sword blades.
Since I just received Don's first attempt at 1086M back from Coop, I thought this would be a good place to share it. This was a wonderful result for his first shot with it.
Thanks Don for your great work, and thanks Coop for bringing it all out in the image.

Omimibowie1.jpg

Don mentions in the Blade article that he personally likes the more active hamon with wispy lines falling within the hamon toward the cutting edge (ashi). He achieved it here with the modified 1086 steel.
This bowie was made over two years ago, so Don has a lot of this steel out there now. If any others would like to share their 1086 blades, would like to see them. Thanks.

-

That's a beautiful bowie. Don doesn't make them any other way.

Roger

32longleanbowie.jpg

Canineforge,
Hope ya' don't mind me sticking this in your thread,it's Don's first forged.
Don't know what the steel is,furniture is brass and handle is nice black antelope horn,Don graciously replaced sheath in pic with a new one.

Doug :)

Great looking knife and photo :thumbup:
Here is another one from Don in 1086M. This one is mine :D

Doug, no problem. Glad to see that one. I would want to post it, also.

Flava, thanks for your picture. I have seen that on his website. Glad to know where it belongs. It has a great hamon and is very nice! Here is one more 1086M walnut bowie picture I got from Don:

Walnut1086Bowie.jpg

Don says the added 0.25% vanadium in 1086M makes it very similar to W2.

Back to the hamon article in 'Blade', it states that 'hamon' literally translated from the Japanese, means 'signature of the edge'. I have also heard it called 'the badge of the blade'. Both work for me.

Here's a 1086 blade unfinished but the hamon shows promise.:D

Since we get this 1086M from Howard Clark, does anyone have or can find a photo or two of something he's made from this steel.

Attachments

• 1086-hamon-06.jpg
    1086-hamon-06.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 53
Flava,
Congrats on your Hanson :thumbup: ,the blade looks like it was struck by lightning :eek: ,it was probably just Don though. :D

Love the hamon. :cool:

Doug :)

sunfishman said:
Since we get this 1086M from Howard Clark, does anyone have or can find a photo or two of something he's made from this steel.
The best place for that is Keith Larman's site, www.summerchild.com . Keith polishes a lot of Howard's stuff.

Joss - Thanks for posting the Larman site. It is very informative. Since Howard's main interest has shifted over to swords, I haven't seen much of his work. He remains at the top of his game.

Ari - Thanks for sharing more of Don's work. The walrus fighter is the photo of Don's work featured in the hamon article in this month's Blade.

It is always interesting, when there is a post on the forums about new Blade Magazine articles, the varied differences in subscribers receiving their issue. This is the issue that will have 20,000 additional copies published to go out to all the Wal-Mart stores. Should be able to get one then. :)

Back