Doom and gloom for the new year?

Is it just me, or is it a particularly bad day for the world today? I've been listening to the news while cleaning up this morning...

13 Trapped Miners in W. VA.
Roof collapse in a skating rink in Germany
Massive flooding in CA
Massive fires in OK and TX (you okay Yvsa?)
Mike Tice fired from coaching the Vikings (sorry...had to throw that one in)

I hope this doesn't indicate what kind of year 2006 is going to be... I was kind of looking forward to a good one for a change.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

ACStudios said:
Is it just me, or is it a particularly bad day for the world today?

Massive fires in OK and TX (you okay Yvsa?)

I hope this doesn't indicate what kind of year 2006 is going to be... I was kind of looking forward to a good one for a change.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

We're fine, so far. Everyone is really keeping an eye out for potential fire threats.
Wish we had some of the 2"-4" of rain that's falling on the Rose Parade.
Methinks this year will be largely what we make it to be.
It's nice to have a choice of how we act or react.:thumbup: :cool: :D

All I've got to say is that I really hope that 2006 is alot better than 2005 in every way or I QUIT! :mad:

Can't recall where I ran across this saying, maybe here, but I keep it stuck to the front of my refrigerator to help me keep perspective;
"Today is the tomorrow I was worried about yesterday". . . .translation: no matter how bad things get, we somehow keep plugging along, and things are seldom as bad as we imagine them. 2006 will be good for some, bad for others, you play the cards you're dealt. Bon chance mes amis. ;)

Sarge

Maybe Kings or Gods get to sprint, but the rest of us just plug along.

munk

ACStudios said:
Is it just me, or is it a particularly bad day for the world today? I've been listening to the news while cleaning up this morning...

There's the problem: you were listening to the news. ;)

No, seriously -- ever notice that every other commercial during the news is for some prescription antidepressant? The format ends up being five minutes of "here's everything that went wrong in the world today", followed by five minutes of "depressed? ask your doctor if Diskonnekt® is right for you"... Man, if I watched the news all the time I'd never leave my apartment.

The Vikings stink. Tice deserved to go as much as the others who got the Axe today. "Coaches Mike Martz of the St. Louis Rams, Mike Sherman of the Green Bay Packers, Dom Capers of the Houston Texans and Jim Haslett of the New Orleans Saints were all fired today." Tice had the best tallent of them all.

I don't see doom and gloom. I leave that for someone else. Challenges are what I try to face. When I watched that damn Toyota pickup get sideways on the interstate three weeks ago I looked at my Dad sitting across from me. Then I hit that son of a gun with my side of the truck. The challenge for me was to keep my Dad alive. I never hit the brakes. Just ajusted the angle of impact so my side was F'ed and tried to keep the truck straight. Life is all challenges. Now the illegal immigrant in the Toyota still has a working truck and I've got a new payment. '05 wasn't my best year, but i'm still here and I hope I'm ready for the challenges of '06. My family requires it of me.

For me I hope to never see my children suffer and die. I may not grow old with them. They can have my liver, both my kidneys, all my blood, and everything else I have to give. If I'm lucky I will grow old with them. My wife and I plan to try for another one this year. Send us some smoke.

ACS, Shann, and Kumar I will send smoke for you tonight!

So Denzel Washington goes to the Brooks Army Medical Center - stateside destination for the wounded sent from Iraq to Germany.

He is shown the Fisher Housing where the families of the wounded can stay. Noticing that the housing is full, he asks what one of the buildings costs.

Then he writes out a check on the spot.

Don't wait for this to appear on CBS, ABS, or NBS. That would be, like, good news.

Good journalism dictates that the news organizations run their stories past John Kerry and Hillary before airing. I mean these journalists have to have some ethics too.

'Nuff said.
Winter always brings out a little meloncholy in all of us. As the days get longer and we get more sun on our pasty, white, skins things will be so much more agreeable than they seem now. When spring arrives with the gals doing their best to bring that glorious sun to their pale bodies(praise the genius that invented the mini-skirt, hot pants and any other item of clothing that bares more skin than the previous generation)I'd be willing to bet that everybody will sit down, under an umbrella, at a cafe or tavern and have a beverage of their choice and drink deeply of life, and all it's beautiful scenery.

Here's to another day of winter under our belts.
Anticipation is a great thing!

Back