Double Bit ID help

Hello, longtime forum lurker, and antique axe appreciater.
I was recently metal detecting an old homesite near my home and found a double bit I cleaned up. It’s in decent shape for spending the better part of the last century underground. I can’t figure out the maker and would love to know.
Not computer literate enough to post a picture, and I don’t know that it would help.
It has an oval logo with a decipherable “OUR” on the left inside oval.
Below the oval logo, reads; “THE BLUE LABEL INSURES YOUR SATISFACTION”

Also, aside from the oval is a “3” which I assume indicates weight and a “9M” or “6W”. No other stampings.

Thank you for any help or ideas

Hello, longtime forum lurker, and antique axe appreciater.
I was recently metal detecting an old homesite near my home and found a double bit I cleaned up. It’s in decent shape for spending the better part of the last century underground. I can’t figure out the maker and would love to know.
Not computer literate enough to post a picture, and I don’t know that it would help.
It has an oval logo with a decipherable “OUR” on the left inside oval.
Below the oval logo, reads; “THE BLUE LABEL INSURES YOUR SATISFACTION”

Also, aside from the oval is a “3” which I assume indicates weight and a “9M” or “6W”. No other stampings. Thank you for any help or ideas

6W mark: maybe Warren ....hard to say without seeing a picture

Hall Hardware Company
OUR OWN HARDWARE COMPANY (MINNEAPOLIS, MINN.):

An Inventory of Its Records at the Minnesota Historical Society
Manuscripts Collection
Creator: Our Own Hardware Company (Minneapolis, Minn.), creator.
Title: Our Own Hardware Company records.
Dates: 1913-1988.
Abstract: Records of a Minneapolis-based hardware wholesaler that sold merchandise to member retailers in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Montana.
Quantity: 3.8 cubic feet (4 boxes).
Location: See Detailed Description section for shelf locations.

DownArrowBlue.png
HISTORICAL NOTE

The Northwestern Hardware Company was organized on February 8, 1913 in Minneapolis by and for retail hardware dealers of the Northwestern states, to buy and sell hardware and related products wholesale to retail hardware and general store merchants.

The directors of the Northwestern Hardware Company met with several prominent Minnesota hardware men on May 15, 1913, and agreed to organize a wholesale hardware company. On June 9, 1913 it was decided to incorporate the company under the name of Hall Hardware Company, and it was agreed that all subscriptions of hardware dealers taken under the name of the Northwestern Hardware Company would be received into the Hall Hardware Company. Incorporators included George E. Hall, of Fargo, North Dakota, and G. H. Reeves and Fred N. Furber, both of Minneapolis. Subscriptions for the capital stock of the corporation were invited from persons engaged in the retail hardware business in the Northwest. By 1933 Hall Hardware supplied 450 retail hardware stores in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Montana. In 1949 the name of the firm was changed to Our Own Hardware Company.

The Hall Building Company was incorporated in 1918 as a holding company to finance, construct, and operate a building in Minneapolis under lease to the Hall Hardware Company. Securities were offered for sale to members of the Hall Hardware Company, their clerks, relatives, and a few other individuals. The directors of the Hall Building Company were the same as those of the Hall Hardware Company.
http://www2.mnhs.org/library/findaids/00440.xml
vintage-embossed-own-hardware-double_1_c1ba81c8f5db3837ef40a92e4b950fe0.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-embossed-own-hardware-double-1942835753
own-hardware-double-bit-axe-head_1_0f900ee65d0948c716f977108b85fdf4.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/own-hardware-double-bit-axe-head-1797378810

Last edited:
That is exactly it! I really don't think the one I have probably ever read "ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED" across the top, but otherwise a match. Thank you for finding that. We have a Do It Best Hardware in town (originally 'Our Own'). I wonder if it was purchased there years ago? A neat little piece of local history. Its a little worn down, but I cleaned it up and hung it. I'm guessing its glad to be put back to work.
Thank you kindly for the info

Back