DOVO Straight Razor Ivory Micarta Handle Model 105

Anyone have this razor I think it looks great however spending $150 on a razor is alot. I found three reviews online and they were split regarding the sharpness out of the box and how well it performed but all raved on the looks. I don't want to spend alot of money on an average razor.

I have some experience with straights, I have shaved with them for about 4 or 5 years. I haven't used that particular Dovo but I have heard that the Micarta scales are a bit handle heavy. I have the DOVO brushed SS scales, and while it is a bit heavier than regular plastic scaled razors, it is well balanced. The DOVO Renaissance model is nice too.

Have you used straight before? How much experience do you have with them?

I have been using an old Henckels straight razor for about 3 months now and have just purchased an old Boker. The Boker is heavier than the Henchels and feels better in my hand having shaved with it only once I can't say which is better shave.

I was thinking about a new razor and saw the Dovo and fell in love with the looks of that razor and I was wondering if it performs as good as it looks. I don't know alot about razors but Dovo seems to have good reputation.

Dove and TI are the only reputable sr manufacturers left. The Paki and Chinese companies don't sell razors you can shave with. As long as you are familiar with honing and stropping, I say go for it and enjoy the razor!

Thanks
After reading some of my posts I appears I have already disided I just needed someone to give me a little push.

I'll tell you one thing: Rarely does a production (Dovo, TI) straight come "shave-ready" out of the box. It's a shame, but they really don't have good edges on them when you first buy them unless you get them pre-honed by someone who knows what they're doing.

I'm mostly just into straight razors rather than knives. Getting into making custom straights is what brought me to join bladeforums and although I'm on razor forums I still gravitate toward the shaving section here lol.

The Dovo Micarta is a fine razor. Is it worth the money? Well is a $1000 custom worth the money? They'll both shave well but at some point the aesthetics come into play. If you know how to hone razors or have someone to do it for you, the Micarta will be a great razor. Most guys who I've heard talk about them love them.

We have one at the shop I work at, and it is handle heavy, but not too horribly. I would have liked thinner scales, though. From what everybody seems to say it's potentially one of the sharpest razors out there, but some folks have experienced a little pulling even after a fresh re-honing which may mean that it's prone towards microchipping so be careful with the method you use to hone it.

I purchased it and I do love the looks of the razor and with the micarta I know it will last a long time however it was not as sharp as I expected, it is sharp enough to shave with just not what I expected for a new $150 razor. I don’t have any experience with straight razors other than old ones I have purchase from e-bay and honed myself over the past several months so I guessed this one would be far better than the $20 - $30 razors I had been using.
Fortytwoblades thanks for the heads up on the micochippig issue I am currently using an old stone I have had for years it is a fine grit and a strop I purchased of few months ago however I need to get some conditioner for it.

As I've recently learned to hone razors (as in last weekend), I have some idea of what it takes to get a razor sharp. The razor that I learned to sharpen was a Dovo 300 - with the note that it was factory sharpened and "shave ready."

I'd like to reiterate what Philadelph about shave ready - they don't or rarely do...

When I was honing my Dovo, it already had a bevel set, so I started on a 4K Norton. After quite a few passes - to make sure it started popping hairs, I then changed to honing on a 8K Norton. When that was sticky sharp, I started polishing the bevel on a 16K Shapton. After 8 or 10 passes, I stropped on a felt pad treated with .5 micron diamond, followed by stropping on a leather strop.

Last night I shaved with that Dovo and it was "scary sharp."

Thanks Byron I have been looking at the 4 & 8k Norton stones just have to pull the trigger

Back