Dozier vs GenO Denning

I am thinking of getting an all around knife for backpacking and fishing. I have narrowed down my choice of Knife maker to BoB Dozier or GenO Denning.

I have heard alot about Bob, but do not know much about GenO. Which puts out a better knife overall? Who heat treats there blades better and which maker would you go with?

Don't know anything about GenO but I have two of Bob Dozier's blades.
Bob's blades are excllent cutting tools for the money. If cost might be a
concern I'd look really hard at the Buck Nighthawk for backpacking use.
It's one heck of a knife that will take most any abuse and still cut like
crazy.

Hi backpacker,while I don't own any of Bob Dozier's knives I have heard nothing but good things about them.As far as GenO goes I own one and have another one on order and have to tell you he makes a awesome knife.His prices are very reasonable and his fit and finish is second to none. The deep hollow grind on my GM allows it to cut and slice great.IMHO I don't think you will be disappointed with either maker.:)

Hi Backpacker,

You can't go wrong with either one. I have a GM hunter from
GenO, and three of Bob's knives including the slim outdoorsman,
pro guide, and pro skinner.

GenO's knives are nicer looking by being more finished. But, when
I want a heavy user, I usually carry one of the Doziers. Both
come very sharp.

Stumpy mentioned that GenO's knives have a deep hollow grind
allowing it to cut and slice better. Bob's outdoor knives are
made the same way. He makes them to cut.

Jeff

I'd also add that you won't have any trouble selling a Dozier if you decide you don't like it. I've owned a few, and all sold for about what I paid for them, in a matter of days.

Dozier mades are the best values in high quality no frills, no fancy finish hand made using blades. I have owned and used many of Bobs blades extensively. As already mentioned, the high hollow grind and Bobs use of his own heat treated D2 steel makes for a very sharp, edge holding steel. Bobs own kydex belt sheaths for his small models are comfortable, concealable and quick to access. One of the insdustrys best IME.

I have had one of GenOs blades. But have not used it extensively. I can say though, that his fit and finish are excellent. He offers a high polish finish on his ATS34 blades, uses a taper tang, spacers and a soldered guard. Not bad considering his price range is close to that of the Dozier mades!

Good choices both. But I' ve got to give it to Bob...

Nakano

I will add to the above that GenO's knives are made from ATS-34 stainless and the Dozier knife I have is much heavier.

I would tend to pick up a Dozier Pro-Guide for a non-specific back packing mission given the two makers you have chosen.

For overal fit and finish Geno's work comes out ahead. For general prettiness, Geno's work wins again.

Doziers knives are built to compete in a different arena though. He doesn't spend his time on non-fuctional areas of knifemaking. When you look at them with a very critical eye, you can ding them for subtleties in the grind lines and uneven rounding of the corners but, not for pure function. The Doziers are built for hard use will take it. A fancy Geno knife will perform just fine but, add some scrathes and general hard use, it will show more then a Dozier knife.

It really boils down to whether you have a preference for ATS-34 or D-2, how much value to you place in the "prettiness" category and, what you expect from each knife/knifemaker.

Stay Sharp,
Sid

p.s. I should note that I have 2 knives from Geno Denning and 3 from Bob Dozier for comparison - oops take that back 4 from Dozier (aren't the for sale forums a great place :D .

Back