Dreamknife, does it exist ?

Hey people I'm looking for something like described below but I've no idea where to find it... money is no object

Tanto shaped blade between 3.5 and 4 inches no chisel grind
S30V blade
AXIS/ARC type lock with full liners
opening HOLE no studs (hmmm maybe studs) certainly no disk, a flipper/wave thingy would be to much to ask I assume
G-10 handle material
adjustable pocket clip for lefty/righty
plain edge (maybe combo)

If anyone could tell me where to get something like this in Belgium I swear I put in my last will that after my death he gets all my knives
;)

thanx

I don't think you'll find anything like that with an axis/arc lock even if you went the custom route.

A metal handle, heh? The really nice stuff I've seen along that line was built by Darrel Ralph. Heck, I've seen knives of his that have a rainbow of metal colors. The 'axis lock' thingie might be a patented locking feature, however, I've recently received a Cold Steel catalog with their version of a similar lock.

I hate to say this, but I just read a lot, google the 'net and chat with friends--in other words, I do it the old fashioned way with shoe leather. When it comes to guns, I have a custom guy who has boat payments to make.

or would anyone know a custom maker who would rise up to the challenge of making me one ? As I said money is no object

The Benchmade models that come closest to your specification are the 722 (3.25" 154CM tanto blade and G10 handles) and some versions of the 94X (the 940TI has a 3.4" reverse tanto S30V blade, but titanium handles and the 940D2CF has a D2 blade and carbon fiber handles).

If price is really no object and an AXIS lock is important enough to you, maybe you can get someone to make you an S30V tanto blade that will fit in the BM710 or BM806D2 handle.

a mix of a BM Ares handle with a sog vision type of blade in S30V with a hole like the spydy Lum that's what I'm looking for actually

I've taken apart my 806D2 to remove the BT2. If you bought an Ares, I bet a decent custom bladesmith could use the original blade as a template and make what you want. He'd have to reproduce the dimensions of the pivot and locking surfaces and make sure the edge and point of the new blade fit in the handle when closed. Aside from that, he could do what you want (sog vision type of blade in S30V with a hole like the spydy Lum).

If money is no object, the answer is easy. If you must have the Axis lock, contact McHenry and Williams and get them to make you the custom knife you want, they invented the lock.

I know you said money is no object... but does anyone know about how much a custom knife like that would cost? I'm guessing a lot. :rolleyes:

Thanx for the info guys,

yeah I really need the axis lock 'cause I'm a lefty myself. I just like the AXIS so much better than a lockback my second favorite. If anyone knows about another fully ambidexterous lock comparable in strength with the AXIS and that you can't disengage with a tight grip like a lockback, please let me know

I too am a lefty and spent a while trying to find the perfect knife for a left hander. I bought a left handed Sebenza. I haven't got it yet because CRK has a 4 week backorder. Have you considered a Sebbie, or is it not to your liking?

Dylan_D

the thing is that I really would need a tanto shape. I carry my SOG X-ray vision a lot and for 99% of the stuff I do the acute angle change near the tip of my tanto is fantastic. But after purchasing my BM-730S is was struck with awe about the great handle I kinda found the thumbstuds a bit hard to get a quick opening as I'm used to the spyderco hole. The S30V is thrown in 'cause I'm not the best sharpener around and I'd really love to experiment with this steel. So it's not a question of not liking a sebbie it's just that's it's a different thing then what I want.

hmmm really nice knife but I would really like the tip to be more acute somewhat like the Jerry Hossom retribution series of fixed blades

To get exactly what you want it will have to be a custom. McHenry and Williams are the ones who invented the axis lock, and consequently are the only one who would be able or willing to make you a custom with the axis system.
That said, the axis lock is just a new twist on the old bolt action lock designed by blackie collins. Its used in meyerco knives,as well as gerber. I don't think there's any patent going on it, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, the idea of wedging something between the tang and the handle/a pin, is nothing new. If you find the right knifemaker, with the right milling equipment you should be able to have something made to your liking. It will cost though.
Unfortunately I only know other knifemakers through discussion here, and the ones I can think of, that I know have the capabilites for a project like this are either backlogged to far for new orders, or don't seem to be into making knives designed by customers, they have their own lineup and ideas. So I can't help you with finding a maker.

I think my dream knife would have to be an outragous "art auto" B/C as far as users, there are some folders in the $500 range that can't really be beat

Back