Dremel 4000 or 4200?

About to go pick up my first Dremel! Super excited.
Anyhow, I was headed out the door to grab a 4000 6/50 kit, but just noticed they recently released the 4200 with "EZ Change."
Still planning to grab that 4000-- I like that it comes with a Flex Shaft attachment.
But, are there any major reasons to consider the 4200 instead? Thanks all!

Whichever one you buy just don't get one that's rechargeable. I've had bad luck with those.

I have a 4000. It has worked great for me. Just the other day I put a finger choil on my SOG visionary 2 blade. Not sure how the two are different, never had the need to research.

I've been looking into these as well. For one thing, the 4000 is 1.6 amps, where the 4200 is 6 amps. That makes it almost 4 times more powerful? Do I need that much more power?
Also the 4200 has the quick release collet. Still looking while trying to make a decision. :)
-Bruce

I looked up the specs on both, they are both 1.6A .

I personally get the 4000. The flex shaft is nice to have. I don't know if the quick release collet handles different sized shafts. The I have a few different collet inserts that let me use different sized shafts. There is also less mechanism to break or malfunction with the 4000.

My 2 cents worth.

Ric

I looked up the specs on both, they are both 1.6A .

I personally get the 4000. The flex shaft is nice to have. I don't know if the quick release collet handles different sized shafts. The I have a few different collet inserts that let me use different sized shafts. There is also less mechanism to break or malfunction with the 4000.

My 2 cents worth.

Ric
Hi Ric, Everywhere I looked they said 6 amps. http://www.cporotarytools.com/dremel-4200-6-40-120v-high-performance-rotary-tool/drln4200-6-40,default,pd.html?cgid=dremel-rotary-tools
I even called a friend that has one and he verified. He said it was both bigger, and used 6 amps.
However, I looked at Dremel dot com and they say 1.6 amps? I'm thinking typo maybe? :confused:
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=4200&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content={K_CREATIVE_HEADLINE}&utm_campaign=Rotary+Branded&WT.srch=1&utm_term=%2Bdremel%20rotary%20%2Btool
PS, It's billed as the most powerful Dremel Tool yet, so it has to have more amperage?
-Bruce

FWIW, I ended up going with a 4000 kit largely because of the included Flex Shaft.

Most of the sites I have looked at say the 4200 is 1.6 amps also? Anybody have one in their hand that can look at the specs on the plate? I was looking at one on the big auction site that gave good closeup images of everything "but" the spec plate. I "did" see the made in China on the bottom though. :grumpy:
Maybe that's why there is so much conflicting information?
FWIW, I ended up going with a 4000 kit largely because of the included Flex Shaft.
I have read that you can use the flex shaft with either, but I'm now thinking of just getting the 4000 also as I've now found the kit that includes the flex shaft.
-Bruce

Back