Drill press question

Joseph Bandeko

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey y’all! The motor on my drill press is going bad and I’ve got to do something about it fast!
First I’m gonna contact the manufacturer and see if I can get a new motor, but if I can‘t I’m gonna have to get a new one.

So question, I found a Craftsman 137.229201 used drill press for sale and it looks to be a good machine... but it’s got almost 300 hours run time on it! Is that enough hours that I shouldn’t waste my time with it?

Also while I’m at it, what are y’all’s opinions on Delta drill presses?

Delta drill presses , if you can find an American made one in good shape will work well in a small shop. When shopping used extend quill all the way down. Grab chuck and try to wiggle back and forth to feel for bearing play. (while not running) . Set to slowest speed and leave it there for most drilling. WB

Buy a 3 phase motor and a Chinese VFD. Switch out the motor on the drill press and you now have a VS press. You can also do it with a DC motor and controller if you find a good deal on one.

I would think 300 hours on a Craftsman 137.229201 was only 1/3 of the way through a set of brushes on that industrial press. That is a great press if the price is good.

Buy a 3 phase motor and a Chinese VFD. Switch out the motor on the drill press and you now have a VS press. You can also do it with a DC motor and controller if you find a good deal on one.

I would think 300 hours on a Craftsman 137.229201 was only 1/3 of the way through a set of brushes on that industrial press. That is a great press if the price is good.
Thank you fo your time sir!
Although that would be nice to have a VFD, I don’t think it’s necessary for my operation.

There asking $275 for it, that seems like a good deal, but I don’t know what they originally would cost. (Actually they have it for sale on two different sites, one site says $400, the other says $275... HAHAHAHA)

Back