Drilling 2nd hole in ATC VTAC LaGana for cordwrap?

I got an ATC VTAC today. Really neat tomahawk!

Never used one before -- kind of like a hatchet, but without the curved handle. A little more head-heavy too.

Now, I know it's designed for throwing, but... I want a bit more grip retention and have been thinking about how to add a paracord wrap.

It seems like the right way to do it would require a second hole drilled in the handle, perhaps near the head, or at the least, a third of the way up the handle to just cover the lowest part of the grip.

Is this a bad idea?

Would it overly weaken the handle?

Thanks for any thoughts.

-j

I think it would weaken the handle ! When I got my first one I wrapped the handle with hockey stick tape, it works. But after a while I found I liked the handle just the way it is. Or you could use a lanyard ?

I would use either grip tape a lanyard or both. That being said I just got mine and don't know enough about the handle to say whether it would be weaker or not.

If you really want the cord wrap, try taping the handle first, then wrapping over the tape. I think the tape will give the cord something to "bite" into and help keep it in place. Wrap the cord as tight as possible. I've heard that wetting the cord first will let it stretch a little and then it will shrink and tighten up even more as it dries.

Back