Drop-Point Bailout!

Wonder if they ground that with running water or... Yea who knows.

Still don't want one in 56hrc 3v.
I don't need a prybar.

Wonder if they ground that with running water or... Yea who knows.

Still don't want one in 56hrc 3v.
I don't need a prybar.

I don't know how many have been tested, I have heard HRCs ranging from 57-59, that plenty good for production models, who have never done optimal HT, at BM's production volume that's not a new thing. And this is honestly so thin that it was never going to be a pry bar.

It's a Bugout that has a less chip potential steel, a thumb ramp, and a aluminum grommit (I can pop bottles with it so that's a plus), no more no less.

Different knife same steel.

Fairly chippy, less edge retention and bends pretty well. Dunno where you made up those numbers but Benchmade themselves said 56-58hrc.

Also if they grind that tanto without running water... Wonder how burnt that edge could be.

Edit... Added the vid. My bad.

Last edited:
Different knife same steel.

Fairly chippy, less edge retention and bends pretty well. Dunno where you made up those numbers but Benchmade themselves said 56-58hrc.

Also if they grind that tanto without running water... Wonder how burnt that edge could be.

Edit... Added the vid. My bad.

Didn't make em up just what I have seen reported on IG so take it for that it is. I think it was a slow belt with water dips in between, and honestly with my uses, I'm never gonna notice if they burnt the edge, I have the luxury of buying what I like aesthetically, performance ideals impact me very little, but they are nice.

Didn't make em up just what I have seen reported on IG so take it for that it is. I think it was a slow belt with water dips in between, and honestly with my uses, I'm never gonna notice if they burnt the edge, I have the luxury of buying what I like aesthetically, performance ideals impact me very little, but they are nice.

dont see any water, no running water on the belt and no dipping water. look at those sparks.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/04/08/does-sharpening-with-a-grinder-ruin-your-edge/

and of you already didnt know they are already 55-58hrc, wonder what thats going to do to the hrc of the edge.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/benchmade-3v.1661653/

Rivers Edge I’m pretty sure is a supporting member. It’s a really cool shop! Live nearby and go in from time to time. Really nice people in there and they’re really knowledgeable. I am pretty sure they’re the ones doing this. Or one of them.

dont see any water, no running water on the belt and no dipping water. look at those sparks.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/04/08/does-sharpening-with-a-grinder-ruin-your-edge/

and of you already didnt know they are already 55-58hrc, wonder what thats going to do to the hrc of the edge.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/benchmade-3v.1661653/

I appreciate your efforts, again, I'm never going to notice, so I'm not gonna be able to help you on the performance front, I know it's going to do anything I need it to do.

I know what I was getting (more or less) when I ordered it and the risks I took doing, so I will admit I do feel like you are try to derail a thread that was solely started to show that people don't have to get the tanto of a stock Bailout.

I am glad you are trying to, I think, try to improve to over all quality on production knives by being critical of what you believe to be anything other than sub-optimal. Or maybe it just railing against BM marketing speak(?).

Rivers Edge I’m pretty sure is a supporting member. It’s a really cool shop! Live nearby and go in from time to time. Really nice people in there and they’re really knowledgeable. I am pretty sure they’re the ones doing this. Or one of them.

Not from them, but I do think they also offer the service

It's a Bugout that has a less chip potential steel, a thumb ramp, and a aluminum grommit (I can pop bottles with it so that's a plus), no more no less.

Exactly what I thought when I saw the pommel on this. I won't pop open microbrews with the grivory scales on the Bugout, but that aluminum "popper edge" makes a handy addition for a brew enthusiast.

I like the look.

Definitely prefer that profile to the tanto, wonder if BM will end up doing a drop point version as well. Did it take much blade length off?

I was going to probably do the same with an extra course diamond lansky stone, I assumed I would have to fix the factory front anyway lol.

Now the question for me if whether I buy at all, given the hardness story.

Back