Dude, I got an SMF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a Strider SMF today. OMFG is it BADASS. If you don't own a Strider, get one. I am done with folders. Seriously. There is no other folder I am going to buy. I have indeed found "The Knife".

Seriously. :cool:

EasEWryder said:
I am done with folders. There is no other folder I am going to buy.

I've heard this before. What I think is that in about three months you're going to realize that you absolutely have to have an AR. Or a Sebenza. Or both an AR and a Sebenza. ;)

Tell you what Nathan S, If I decide I need another folder, not counting duplicates, I will on my honor GIVE you my SERE 2000. On the real. :) Mark it on your calendar. :cool:

EasEWryder said:
Tell you what Nathan S, If I decide I need another folder, not counting duplicates, I will on my honor GIVE you my SERE 2000. On the real. Mark it on your calendar.

Nahh, keep your stuff. I felt the same way when I got my first Sebenza. What that basically led to, though, was buying more Sebenzas. I bought some other folders, too, of course, but nothing that I couldn't live without. In fact, I'd have no problem getting rid of all my non CRK folders (except for my SAKs, which I love :) ).

This is the type of stuff that keeps the knife industry rolling along. I cannot count the number of times I have said that I have "found the ultimate knife".

What I learned is that I never want to find the only knife I need. If I do find "the only one I will ever need" I will no longer be a knife collector or interested in knives. I would become simply a single knife owner. How boring.

I just sold my limited run civilian numbered SMF and it's enroute to England.

Solid knife, a little too big for general duty carry daily for me.

Congrats on your purchase.

Brownie

I haven't carried anything but my SMF since January. I used to carry two or sometimes 3 knives at a time, now just one. :p

I still want a new Kershaw Bump though and of course MORE STRIDERS. :D

The "Bump" is an incredible knife...you will love it.
I felt the same way when I got my first Strider, an AR. But it is a little too big , to me, for EDC around the office.
I have an SnG Gen5 comming on Monday...the madness continues...but it's all good:)

Okay, so what's the deal with the SMF..... Is it all hype, or is there actually a big difference between it and the SnG? I know there's a huge difference in cost!!!!!!!!!1 :eek:

Dif is only $75.00. The higher cost ones ($550.00) sold out, which were the numbered civilian versions.

I haven't handled an SnG, but I thought the only difference was in the size. My EDC has been whittled down to My MPC, SMF and 710. The plan was just to have the SMF and MPC, but DAMMIT my 710 will have to be PRYED FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS. Three knives is overkill IMO, but I am really freaked out about the next 'big quake', zombies and bipedal fish-monsters :eek: . Oh yeah, BIG SHOUT OUT for TADGear! Those guys are some of the NICEST people I have met in the BAY AREA. If you ever have a chance to visit the store, DO IT.
As far as "the knife" issue goes, I don't have any 'safe queens' or other form of collection type knives, all my blades I have acquired are for putting together my "perfect paranoia BOB/EDC set". While at TADGear, I turned down a ti and CF recurve CK&T folder at a price that I WILL NOT make public for the benefit of all ;) because I am set for folders... Man I still dream about that knife...
Nathan S, that's cool I'll find a good home for it then. :)

The last knives on my list are a CS Kukri, Airkat Apache ?, and a Big Strider!!! I just have gear to get now...

Congrats on the SMF bro! I got an AR first and sad that was it. Then I got a GB, then 2 SnG's (tanto and spear), then an SmF....it will never end! You will not be dissappointed. I also have an MPC and a Sebbie, but they have taken a backseat to my Striders for EDC, unless I am having to dress-up and that is when my sebbie comes out.

Enjoy that SmF bro!

Walking Man wrote: Okay, so what's the deal with the SMF..... Is it all hype, or is there actually a big difference between it and the SnG? I know there's a huge difference in cost!!!!!!!!!1

If you look at the specs the SnG is only a 1/4 " smaller than the SmF which would lead people to believe that there isn't much difference, this assumption is incorrect. I do not own a SnG but have handled many of them since before they were made available (one of the first ones was auctioned off) and found it to be small in blade length and size. When I received my numbered version of the SmF I was pleasantly surprised by how much of a difference 1/4" in blade length can make. Overall the SmF is larger in all aspects from height, length and girth. My SmF is hand filling and is just about the proper blade length and size for the average hand. It is the knife I turn to when I need to do some cutting. Some people like the Spenza and some like the SERE, I like the SmF.

Mac

Mac

For me it came down to the size difference, the SMF just fits my hand better, and is easier for me to operate with the way my hand positions on it due to its size. I would compare it to how some people will only use large Sebenzas and not the small.

Attachments

• 1.1.JPG
    1.1.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 1.2.JPG
    1.2.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 90
Can anyone comment, from a practical standpoint, how a John Greco compares to these extremely expensive "super knives"? I've heard the Greco folders are incredibly tough.

I'm really impressed with the ergonomics of the SMF; it is secure in every grip I can think of. I love how you can choke up on the blade itself for fine work! The only thing I am a little bothered by is how how tight the pocket clip is. I cannot draw it quickly, but it also is nice to know how secure it is ;)

I haven't handled any of the Greco folders, and would also like to know how they compare to other "super-knives". Based on the Grecos(fixed blades only) that have been through my house, I would expect they are pretty tough. :)

Back