Dye first, then stich or vice versa? *Update!*

Hello. I'm about to start a small leather working project. Adding a belt loop to my RC-6 sheath. I am a complete noob when it comes to leather craft but I have my pattern pretty much sorted out. To form part of the belt loop I will be running two short lines of stiching with a Speedy Sticher. I also have some dye to color the leather black. Should I do all of the cutting of the pattern, piercing, stiching first, then dye the leather or dye it, let it dry, then cut, pierce, stich etc.? Any help is appreciated. I'll throw up some pics when I'm done.

Last edited:
You really can go either way with it. But, unless you are wanting to dye the sheath too, I would dye it before hand, then stitch. Otherwise, you're going to have extra work protecting the sheath from the dye. Then, before you stitch, soak your thread in the dye to make it black too (if it's not already).

Also, I would cut the piece and get it ready to stitch before dying. That way you don't dye a piece, cut it and have to redye the edges. Get your loop ready to the point where all it needs is stitching and go from there.

My order of business in making a sheath.

1. Cut out the pattern.

2. Dye the pattern. Dye before you glue. If you get glue on the un-dyed piece it won't take the dye afterwards.

3. Glue up the pieces together. You are going to glue it together, right?

4. Shape the sheath on sander/grinder.

5. Make holes for stitching.

6. Stitch it all together.

Ken's got it down pat! :D

Might have to do a little spot coloring after stitching, its inevitable.

Thanks Ken! Good point about the glue. I was going to do that, but didn't know what order to do it. This will not be a full sheath, but an add-on to my RC-6 sheath. Essentially a leather plate with a belt loop that I can bolt to the sheath and remove if needed.

Thanks for all the responses. I had a feeling it was get everything ready, dye then stich. Kind of like getting all your holes drilled before a heat treat:p
:)
got it in one!
and don't forget to post pictures when it's done - I'm curious to see how it comes out.

Hey. Here is the finished project I was working on. I want to thank everyone for their imput. This is my first ever leather project but it won't be my last. This sheath back looks pretty crude but it gets the job done. It carries very well and holds my RC-6 at the height I like. It is also both cemented and stiched, so it is very strong. I was sort of limited by the amount and type of leather I had. I went to Tandy Leather, while I was in Winnipeg visiting family, to buy dye, tools and chicago screws. and the manager gave me a few scraps of veggie tanned leather to practice with. When I got back home (700 km away in Thunder Bay:D) I found the bolts were a little short and the leather scraps not quite the right size. So, I had to get a little creative, hence the patchwork appearence of the backing. It has got me really interested in improving my skills and I have a profound respect for all the leather artisans out there and the work they do. Thanks again!

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

Last edited:
Back