Dying and how to make black edge leather shiny?

Ok, when I finish my black leather it is kinda dull. I have purchased some that have a high sheen and also some edges that look really shiny. Is this a special product that does that or a process? I have made 20 or so leather sheaths but most of them have just been natural color or dk brown. I am new to the whole dying process. Any tutorial or links to help with this would be helpful as well as to include actual products that you use. Thanks

Edge kote works well, but don't forget to really burnish the edges as that is what gives the edges a good shine!

And how does one burnish exactly?

Edit: did a search, used an antler, turned out pretty good. Need to get some Edge kote now.

Last edited:
You can also burnish with beeswax which fills in the gaps in the leather and can make a mirror finish. Gum Tragacanth also can finish the edge to a mirror finish if done properly. I use beeswax and very seldom resort to Edge Kote, though it does work well. Burnish the Edge Kote with burlap or old denim for a high sheen.

I burnish my edges using a heavy canvas material rubbed very quickly over the edges with a little beeswax.

Edit: did a search, used an antler, turned out pretty good. Need to get some Edge kote now.

I've made some 'rub sticks' using various sized dowel rods. I put them in a drill and using sandpaper take them up to 1500 grit, which makes them vary smooth.

Using dowel rods allows me to get a vary wide selection of sizes to fit most of the projects I've done.

I burnish my edges using tragacanth gum (allow to dry) and a bone folder I made out of camel bone.

A cheap and easy way is also to just use your normal leather glue, sand your leather flat, and wipe on a thin coat. It dries clear and shiny and flexible.

I'd go with burnishing and edge coat if you want to do it "right" though....

You can get products from places such as Tandy Leather or the Leather Factory that will make your leather shiny (Neat - Lac etc.). The edges can be burnished with Gum Tragacanth and you can use an edger or even an old piece of antler and rub the edges. Beeswax will work on the edges also. A black permanent marker works well on edges also.

Hope this helps.

Back