E&E kit contest

Hey y'all, Andy made me a sweet Three Finger Joe and my BLJ is now a bit redundant.

In turn, and in the holiday spirit, I thought I'd do a contest to give away my BLJ:

1130578330_ppYdS-L.jpg

1130577897_LeJ7B-L.jpg

(sorry for the poor pics, had dim lighting.)

Here is the contest:

Background: I'm deploying to South West Asia (SWA) in a few weeks and am putting some gear together in preparation. In addition to the usual snivel gear and creature comforts, I'm taking some survival and E&E type gear. One of my kits will be housed in a nondescript, civilian lookin' case as pictured below. This is a last ditch E&E kit and I don't want it to look particularly military in case I'm trying to blend in to a civilian crowd (have to consider both urban and rural ops). It can fit into a pocket, be affixed to MOLLE gear, or hang from a neck cord.

Case (closed):

1130578693_2Ddya-L.jpg

Case (open):

1130577420_iVjY5-L.jpg

Objective: design a small E&E kit that will fit into the case pictured. (The Altoids tin is NOT part of the kit and is used for comparison only.)

Rules:

1. Participants must be legally able to own this knife.

2. One entry per day per participant. The winning entry will be the kit list that I like the best and will actually take to SWA. If two identical lists are submitted, the first one entered will be declared winner.

3. A valid entry consists of a list of items to be included in the kit. Items listed must be able to fit into the kit. I'll try to provide feedback as entries are submitted.

4. The contest will run through Dec 31 to allow for follow-up entries. If a winning entry has not been submitted by then, I'll extend the contest or select the entry that closest meets my idea of a solid kit.

5. I will use the winning entry to actually build said kit to validate the winning entry. I may use a different case to build the final kit at my discretion. The case pictured above is for reference only (although it is the case I currently plan to use).

6. Winning entry will receive the above pictured BLJ as a prize.

7. You must have fun with this and not take it too seriously. Anyone not having fun will be disqualified. I will take it seriously as I'm taking the kit for my use. :D

Game on!

1)A couple of condoms. I have found that magnums are kind of hard to find in Asia.
2)Exotac Nano Striker
3)alcohol pads
4)Sport ban-Aids
5)some of those small travel toothbrushes
5)Paracord
6)Signal Mirror
7)emergency Whistle
8)Fenix EO1 flashlight
9)TOPS folding survival saw
10)Packable poncho
11)Energy source such as Gatoraid Packets
12)ESEE Izula
13)small multi tool like the Leatherman Juice S2
14)Tylenol
15)Neosporin
16)Water purification tablets
17)Emergency money
18)Duct tape
19)waterproof writing pad and pen
20)http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/1 Qt. Emergency Water Bag.htm

If you put all of this is a plastic pouch and vacuum seal it that will help save on bulk.

Last edited:
Okay ill play (seriously of course) I'm assuming the new knife you just got will be the main knife in the kit.

Secondary knife- sac of your liking.

First aid- band aids- alcohol preps-antibiotic ointment-trauma bandage- sewing kit-personal medication- tylenol,aspirin,benedryl,- malaria tablets- insect repellent-(if your going during colder month's substitute repellent for hand warmers).

Water storage&purification- iodine or purification tablets-gerber milk bags-

Shelter&fire- mini BIC( with zip tie to keep it from leaking)- esee fire starter-(it has a button compass under the lilid&a decent storage compartment )-tinderquik-adventure medical kits (AMK)-heat sheet blanket-20' 550 para cord-

Find way back/signal friendlies -signal mirror-spair button compass-photon freedom keychain light-
Essential gear eQ2 led head lamp-

Find/catch food-snare wire-(SMALL FISH) fishing kit-iodized salt-

Well not knowing what you may encounter but this is a list of what I believe are must haves that will fit perfectly in your carry all.

1.White Bic Lighter
2.While it may be difficult to come by the fire steel included with the ESEE Izula Kit would be prefect if not then a GG Squirrel fire steel (Not wanting to take someone else's item but I just looked up that Exotac Nano Striker and WOW)
3.SAK Farmer
4.ESEE arrow head wrapped aluminum foil wrapped in duct tape
5.4 inches of a new hacksaw blade for the fire steel and cutting if you need it
6.20 feet of paracord made into a lanyard
7.8 feet of paracord loose in the pack
8.Bobbin of county comms kevlar thread
9.Signal mirror
10.fox 40 whistle
11. automatic center punch
12.CountyComm/ Uncle Bills tweezers
13.alcohol prep pads
14.Antibiotic cream I like Bacitracin with Zinc Ointment
15.Brand and type specific: Band-Aid Extra Wide Sport Strips the best band-aid I have used yet.
16.small tube of superglue
17.safety pins
18.sewing needles
19. tru-nord Button Compass
20.various 1/4" screwdriver bits (Work well with the wrench)
21. 4 inch Craftsman adjustable wrench
22. Mini Sharpie Marker
23.Water purification tablets
24.Local currency
25.Small pry bar
26.Small Travel Pen (Fishers always write) with two business cards to write on
27.photon type light with an extra set of batteries. I think the ones with the constant on/off switch are best
28.Fenix EO1 light and an extra battery
29.DMT fine card sharpener
30.One zip lock bag (A good one with everything above stored inside to protect it from getting wet)
31. Not sure how I forgot these... A few Zip Ties.
32. Slept on it a bit and can't for the life of me remember why I forgot one travel sized super tampon. Makes a great dressing in a small package. Now laugh a little but think about it. If its sterile enough for woman to carry around in her purse then use it for its intended purpose then why wouldn't it work for a med kit?
33. Thought about his all day today(12/21/2010) after thinking of the things you may need in an E&E kit... Non-magnetic handcuff key.
34. Adding back the Lifesavers but not essential.

I am pretty sure this will all fit in that particular camera case. Being a soft case it is easier to get a bit more into smaller space. I apologize for some things being so specific but they are the items I feel are better than others. Good luck on your deployment and thank you for the GAW. This should be an interesting thread.

Just thinking out loud here but have you considered a wide mouth steel water bottle as your container. Such as a Klean Kanteen 12oz. It will look so inconspicuous it wouldn't be funny. Just a bit of a pain to get stuff in and out if you needed something in a hurry. But it would give you a water vessel if you need one.

UPDATED with to more items.

Last edited:
Great lists so far. Don't think the TOPS folding saw would fit in the case, unless it is different from what I was thinking of. Remember that this is a pocket/neck case.

I really like those Photon lights--keep one on a necklace made from gutted 550 cord so I can find stuff in the middle of the night. I prefer the red LED, but I've heard some bases only allow blue. There will be at least one of those in the kit.

I'm not sure how much emphasis I'll put on fire making tools. Keeping a low profile will be a priority. Not freezing to death is another priority, but fire is extremely risky in an E&E scenario. Otherwise I have some "fire straws" that definitely work well.

In re a knife: the aforementioned Three Finger Joe will not be in the kit (doesn't fit for starters). I'm not sure which, if any, knife will end up in the kit. ESEE arrow head might be a good idea. Small SAK seems worth the size/space/weight.

I will of course have a couple of decent blades on my person at all times. :D

I agree about the SAK. I like the Farmer as it is not huge and you can not break the scales. I have had many SAKs and have yet to break the standard scales but it could happen. Also the Farmer seems that have the best over all tools for me without over doing it.

Good luck on your trip... stay safe and don't take too many chances. I've been over there both as military and as a contractor and would go back in a heart beat.

Have fun but remember that complacency is a killer...

Ski

That was one of my best BLJ's to date.

Neato thread, and thanks for all your support over the years Jack!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Leatherman Wave
Bit Kit (for Leatherman)
Local Money
Some sort of ID with Gorilla duct tape wrapped around it.
Wrist compass
Maps
photon light
mini bic
aqua pura tablets

Thanks for the opportunity and your service.

For E&E (Escape and Evasion)?

Here you go...

1. GSM Prepaid international cell phone.
2. $100 US in 20's.
3. Debit or credit card.
4. Handcuff key (plastic one preferred).
5. Kevlar cord (for cutting zip-ties).
6. Small multitool.
7. Mini pry bar (County Comm).
8. Small ferro rod.
9. Small First Aid kit (band-aids, alcohol wipes and so forth).

Andy, it's a great utility piece and very easy to carry. The Three finger is a bit more bulky in the pocket, but I love the extra handle length.

Joe, nice call on the Kevlar cordage, I've got some on order. ;) (550 cord bootlaces will work as well.) I plan on getting a local cell phone, but won't carry it in the kit.

I'll have various E&E bits on my person in different spots, e.g. Leatherman Charge, Surefire, full size Bics. The kit will end up having some redundant elements, e.g. mini-Bic or button compass.

The various lists posted above have most of what I was planning on, but there are still a couple of items I'm thinking of missing. And no one list has pulled all the components together. Part of the idea of this is to gather some ideas that I might be overlooking as well, so keep the ideas coming! Thanks guys!

OK, Rotte, Here's my take on your E&E kit. Although, you chose something expandable/soft-sided, jamming it so full of "stuff" that you can't find anything without taking it all out just doesn't make much sense. So, IMHO, stick with the basics:

1. Leatherman Squirt PS4
2. SAK Rescue Tool
3. Sony NW-E005 2GB Flash Drive MP3 Player
4. 4Sevens Quark Mini AA with extra lithium battery
5. Small FAK with bandaids, ibuprophen, alcohol swabs, neosporin and couple of condoms
6. 2 - 8" zip ties
7. Bandana
8. 10' paracord
9. Packagble Pancho
10. Emergency cash
11. Aqua Pure tabs
12. Gum/mints (w/sugar)
13. Mini bic lighter
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Additions:
Lock picking tools/tension tools
Epi pen

Best of luck and God speed! And, come back to us with some great stories!!:)

Last edited:
HAK, you've got a good list going. I like the additions. What is an "automatic center punch" and why do I need one?

I had a Suunto compass in the kit, but I'm changing to a Tru-Nord. Thanks guys!

Back