Early Commander questions

A couple of questions for you Emerson experts. First - Are the current Commanders serial numbered? If not, how many Commanders were numered? What (if any) value add is there to a serial #'d Commander. I have been collecting hand forged fixed hunters for a while and have a couple of tactical folders that I picked up mainly to carry, and have not paid much attention to any collector concerns on these knives. I do however have a very early Commander Ser # 254 Black T coated blade, that I bought directly from Emerson right after they were announced. It is mint NIB. I never carried it due to the pocket clip on the wrong (??? for me anyway) end. The longer I hold it, the more I wonder about leaving it NIB. After reading some of the posts here, I got it back out and checked the lock up........ tight, locks with a snap like my Microtech and Elishewitz, just a tad sitcky on the unlock.

So, whadayathink? Should I stick it back in the safe and buy another if I decided to carry upside down?

Thanks folks,

BloodyThumb

Don't know much about the value, but it should be higher than the others. I think that there were only 1000 of each made. I might be wrong.

As for the clip being on the "wrong" end, that was intentional. Notice the little "hook" by the thumb disk? Emerson calls it the "wave".

It may have originally been intended as a blade catcher as cited in a 1997 Tactical Knives magazine article, but has another more useful purpose.

The clip is designed that when the knife is pulled from it's static location on your person, the wave catches on some part of your clothing and assists in opening the blade. That way the blade is opened as it is drawn, significantly reducing lag time in trying to get the indexing right.

Great knife! Don't get rid of it. I've got two now and am looking for a satin one(s).

Ed

------------------
AKTI Member A000360

Back