Early Randall Model 13-6 Arkansas Toothpick W/Elephant Ivory Handle

I have some questions about a Randall Knife that I just came across.It is a 13-6 Small Arkansas Toothpick with a Elephant Ivory Handle and Nickel Silver lugged hilt,Coolie Cap,Nickel Silver Escutcheon and Scalloped spacer.The Escutcheon is engraved "Randall Made Knives 1958".My research shows me the small Toothpick was not released until 1960.The Blade grind is also different with a much more needle like tip and no choil cuts.The Blade is not stamped with a "S" for Stainless so I take it to be 01 Tool Steel.The interesting thing is that I tested it with a small drop Gun cold blue and it did not turn blue.The Handle is Elephant Ivory with a Leather Washer at each end.I have included several pictures,I would love to hear some opinions on this Knife.
15278455880_db9a5964df_b.jpg

15278456000_fb3601444f_b.jpg

15278456090_2cf8415064_b.jpg

15278456190_5ac1abcab7_b.jpg

15278456270_66c58ce556_b.jpg

15278456400_1443e028b6_b.jpg

Bob Gaddis had the advantage of being able to do his research in the shop with complete access to all the Randall files. On page 164 of his book, he says "The Small Arkansas Toothpick was a special order version of the latter years of the 50's, which went on to become a standard catalog model in the early 1960's. The first notation of it in the journal was dated 5 November 1958 and stated simply #13-5 from 3/16"stock, plus the name of the person ordering this knife. Eleven months later, on 6 October 1959, the records showed the next small toothpick order from a dealer who requested a very fancy model with 6-inch blade, nickel silver lugged hilt, ivory handle, plus nickel silver collar and butt cap."

It "seems" the knife you ran across is the 2nd one made in 1959 given the matching description. It's hard to say why the escutcheon plate is engraved 1958. The leather spacers are another "tell" that this is indeed the 2nd small toothpick ever made. On another Randall forum, a gentleman did some rather in depth research on dating old bowies. At one point he receives a communication from Tom Clinton stating that the very early bowies had leather spacers. I am posing a link as there is a lot of good information contained in it. Note to Sheldon: Please feel free to delete the link if it conflicts with the forum etiquette - thanks:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63508

Best,

Wow , great knife! It's been my experience that Randall will put any date you request on a knife. A lot of Viet Nam guys bought later knives with their date of service that can be misconstrued by newbies. Great info Ron, keep it coming… the civility here is refreshing! Bart

That one takes the wow factor off the scale!

Ron, we're all here to learn; thank you!

Very interesting,I had a feeling that this Knife was something special.Do You think that there is a chance that Bo Randall himself made this Knife? I am also curious about the Blade,Was this before they started stamping the Stainless Blades? I also read that some Blades on display type Knives where Chrome Plated,Is it possible they plated this One?

Bart: Thanks! Good info.

Shel: Much appreciated! I had a feeling that the general welfare of the Randall community was trump in your book.

OP,

You mentioned that you "ran across" this knife. In the same post you say you tested it to see if it was stainless. I'm curious: Do you own this knife?

Bo made very few knives himself after the early WWII years. IMO the chances that Bo made this knife are pretty slim.

About your stainless question:
Here is an article that goes into detail about stainless markings on Randall knives:
http://www.rmkcollector.com/archive...ping-and-etching-of-stainless-randall-blades/

The guy who wrote this article also clued me in on the same method you that you employed to test for stainless. He has a late 50's 1-7 with no stainless marking, yet liquid bluing has no effect on it. He therefore believes it is stainless. I tried this technique on a 50's Model 3 that I "thought" might be stainless. The bluing "took" to it like stink on you-know-what. I tried it on one of my stainless stamped blades. No effect!

I've seen a number of chrome plated Randalls (Mostly bowies, but some field knives as well). It's hard to tell from your photographs, but chrome "looks" a lot shinier than what I am seeing from you.

We lost a really good Randall guy at the end of July this year by the name of Perry Miller. Perry was the shop's "authenticator" (i.e. you could send Perry a knife and for a fee and he would "authenticate" it with the shop's blessing to include a photograph and certificate. On August 21st there was a public announcement on another forum that Joe Dorsky was appointed the shop's new authenticator. If this 13-6 was mine, I'd send it to Joe and see if he could get Gary to agree it is indeed the 2nd 13-6 ever made. I'd also ask to have it tested for stainless composition (if this is something the shop would do). You can send Joe an e-mail at dorsalfin@tampabay.rr.com

Best,

Thank You very much for the info Ron,I really appreciate it.I am proud to say that I do in fact own this Knife.The amout of time and skill that went into this piece is very evident.It balances perfectly in your Hand and the hunk of Ivory used is jaw dropping.I tried the cold blue test numerous times on different parts of the Blade and it would not take so I am pretty sure it is indeed Stainless.I will be contacting Joe as soon as I am done typing here to start the process of getting the Knife authenticated.I have a good feeling that this is in fact the 2nd small Arkansas Toothpick ever made,How cool is that?
Are the whereabouts of the first small Toothpick known at this point? With such a sparse description in the Journal it would be hard to authenticate with no mention of options.

It's very cool! I have a good feeling about it as well. The journal description may be sparse, but some of the options are pretty rare such as the nickel silver fluted collar and coolie cap. These are usually brass. Also, the journal should reveal who the dealer is, and that dealer may still be alive or his records still accessible. Good luck to you and thanks for sharing.

Best,

Sorry for the confusion Ron,I was talking about the first small Arkansas Toothpick.The Journal did not have much info on it so it would be harder to authenticate that Knife.I have not seen very many Randall's with the lugged Nickel Silver Hilt,Was this is special order item? Once again thanks for your time and info.

It was too early in the AM for me not to have some kind of confusion :) Regarding the 1st one: My guess is it's the only one made from 3/16th stock (All others from 1/4" stock). A lugged nickel silver hilt was an option for a number of models, but it just wasn't that popular based on the few that you see.

Back