Easiest and most reliable fire source

I want to know what everyone packs for starting fires in the woods. I have experience, I was just looking for some new ideas.
Thanks!!!

We like to use the "metal match". A piece of Ferrocerium 1/8 inch by 2 inches @ 1 gram in weight and one cotton ball soaked in vaseline and stored in a ball of foil.

As an alternative to the cotton ball one of the little military fuel blocks is a great firestarter.

Ron

Hi all. I like to carry my sparker (4" long by 3/8" diameter) and as many cotton balls (saturated in vaseline) as I can cram into a small 35 mm film container. Note: I always collect natural tinder the first day (and beyond) and make sure it dries by the fire I make that night...with my cotton balls.

------------------
Greg Davenport http://www.ssurvival.com Are You Ready For The Challenge?

Just this past weekend my daughter and I experimented with a variety of sources for starting fires. She likes chopping kindling and lighting our camp fires when we go camping, but sometimes has trouble getting it to go. So I thought some practice at home was a good idea. I ALWAYS carry a lighter with me even though I don't smoke. My vehicles also have lighters, matches and candles in them as well as my packs. Kind of like having more than one knife at hand. Something that surprised us the most in our test was using dryer lint. It starts very easy with a flint/steel type striker. Drizzel a little wax on it and it works even better. This can be done ahead of time and kept in your kit with hardly any mess. Dryer lint mixed with vaseline and kept in a film can produces a lasting flame that will start poor or damp fuel, but needs a match or similar to ignite. Any other ideas out there?

------------------

I carry a lighter, lifeboat matches, and magenisum firestarter in a kit. The lighter is in my pocket. I also carry cottonballs soaked in vaseline ( don't over saturate them) in the film canisters. I've heard the dryer lint is good with magensium filings as the filings will blow away if any wind, but if mixed with lint the filings will stay intact. I also have some of those trick birthday candles that reignite when blown out.

Magnifying glass. I know the drawbacks, but the advantage is you never run out of it (as long as you don't lose or break it). For wet weather you'd better have some trioxane to start that wet wood going. Also, a jet type lighter to start a fire in high winds.

------------------
"If they do these things in a green tree, what will they do in a dry?"

For wet weather, I like birch bark and pitch wood (some people call it fat wood). If prepared properly it will even light when wet! When the wind is blowing I use a wind block (a v made from two peices of large wood...I have the point facing the wind) or just find a site that has limited impact from the wind. In either case...I always use my metal match. :>)

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?

Also how are the new metal matches like the Blast Match and Strike Force?

I get mixed up on which one is which. My buds who are still active duty Survival Instructors have used both. In fact, the one that can be used with one hand was designed by a former USAF survival instructor. With that said...most of the feed back on it (that I have received) has been very poor!! The other has recieved fairly good reviews. It has a short metal match (I think it is 2") glued in a handle and a cover that can hold a tinder. A good idea.

I use a 4" by 3/8" metal match without any gimicks--just the sparker. It has a hole that allows me to attach a lanyard. I will probalby lose it before I use it all (and I use it all the time). I have these specially made for myself, our students, and others that just want the large sparker without the plastic.

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?

I found out that the hand sanitizer purell works as a fire starter.
It's alcohol, glycerin,fragrence and a few other things, but it burns quite well.

------------------

~~TOM~~
Spyderco Starmate winner! Thanks Sal Glesser!!!

The large metal matches (4" x 3/8") are available here in Sweden
Sweden in many stores. As Greg said, they last
for ever and are large enough to use even
with gloves or mittens on, something
that is important every now and then.

For tinder I generally use birch-bark, with
fat wood as the second stage.

/Par

by soaking rolled and tied newspapers in melted was and then slicing into 1 inch lengths you have effective fire starters in wet weather. The strings act as a wick and they burn in the rain and a few don't take up much room.

Ok, maybe I'm just dumb, but what exactly is a metal match?

------------------
Taylor

Taylor, It is a piece of artificial flint, for generating sparks by scraping it, to start a fire. Doc Ron referred to its elemental makeup in his post. I also recall, perhaps incorectly, seeing the compounds at www.equipped.com.

Greg, I confess I have not used the BlastMatch except to practice with. I do not see how one could not like it though. It throws a hot, large spark. I figure if the gimmick fails, use the butt of your Battle Mistress
wink.gif
, rock, or something else to smash it open. Then just use the large piece of artificial flint that is inside. Pictures of it are on the above mentioned site. The artificial flint inside is 1/2" inch in diameter and just over 2.5 inches in length. It is somewhat heavy because of the size of the flint, but it will last a long time.
The only negative I can think of is that if I did not already have this large rod of artificial flint, I would have bought the one I recall Greg selling at his site.
wink.gif
Plus, I already had one from Ron. Sorry Greg...I'll have to get one later. I always have the sparker from Ron on my keychain. I'll post how I did this later if anyone is interested.

Does anyone know if the composition of artificial flints, such as the one Greg uses, varies enough to make a difference?

P.S. I went and looked later in the day. The composition of artificial flint can be found at http://www.equipped.com./devices28.htm#Sparks
According to that page, these are the constituents: a mixture of metals and rare earth elements, by weight approximately 20% Iron (Fe) with trace amounts, less than 3% each, of Zinc (Zn) and Magnesium (Mg) and the remainder a combination of rare earth elements, 50% of which is Cerium (Ce), the remainder primarily Lanthanum (LLa) and Neodymium (Nd) and trace amounts of some other rare earth elements. An interesting fact mentioned there is that apparently any sharp edged scaper will work, even a glass fragment. (I use my Leatherman Wave file, if not using the Blast Match one-handed method.) This differs from natural flint which requires iron or steel...as also described there.

An animated demonstration of the BlastMatch and Spark-Lite can be found here: http://www.equipped.com./firestrt.htm
I note that if you want to use the BlastMatch manually without the built in carbide scraper, the rod sticks out just over 1 3/4." For you nitpickers the actual amount on mine, if you pull it out fully is 1 13/16", which is a little less than the 1 7/8" mentioned on www.equipped.com. That site mentioned some modifications to beef up the case so perhaps different models are being measured. Perhaps the case breaking is why Greg heard of some complaints, but even if the case breaks, it still works manually. From the pictures, it looks like I have the old model
frown.gif
, but www.equipped.com mentions they are guaranteed, so with that and manual operation for emergencies, I won't worry.

[This message has been edited by Donald (edited 30 November 1999).]

I know that Vaseline is Petroleum Jelly, stupid question, does it burn? ha ha ha, I have never ignited it to find out! How do you guys prepare the cotton balls with it?

As for me, I have always carried a few 35mm film cans with packed cotton balls in them.

I use them a lot, a couple of them form a fishing kit as well.

Trioxane Fuel Tabs are great, I carry them.

British Lifeboat Matches in the O.D. green surplus match containers...the kind with threaded cap and O Ring seal.

Gerber Strike Force works well.

Standard Magnesium Bar with Flint Rod on the other side...great!

Fire is so important, that is why I carry so much to start fires...it takes up minimal space in the smallest of packs.

I was reading in a past issue of Tactical Knives that someone was cutting a slot in one of the plastic grips to their Swiss Army Knife and gluing a Flint Rod in there...if you have a striker other than the SAK, this looks like a great idea although I have not done it yet.

I like el cheapo pocket knives for strikers...finally! A use for the almost worthless Pakistan lockbacks. Take the point off it and you have quite a safe striker.

The ultimate pocket knife, in my opinion, is the Swiss Champ, it has a magnifying glass in it for a cold but sunny day...it has a great little saw in it for preparing tinder from dry wood...it has a good file in it that makes great sized little flakes to powder out of Magnesium Bars...and the ever present blades. I love the SAK Champ.

Did I miss anything?

Mini trivia question: Guess why I have this address.
2633 E. Lake Avenue East, Suite 103
Seatle, Washington 98102

OK, a hint, put Ultimate Survival at the top.

Answer next week....just kidding
wink.gif
but with all those trivia questions.....

My BlastMatch worked fine for me....but I let someone else try it. The clip which holds the scraper and the unit closed, fractured, either from more use, or because someone else was a little too vigorous. It did not break all the way through, but would soon. In the wilderness, used manually, it would be as good as any other flint, but since I am at home, the address is to return it for replacement under the lifetime guarantee. So now I am out a little postage, but hopefully the new model will eliminate any future problems. I was told the clip had been beefed up.

Pitch wood, whether rain or shine for a natural tinder. Cotton balls and vaseline are cheap, easy to make, and last forever. Typical "bugeater"(Greg), using a metal match above all else. I am right there with you brother. BTW, I have found pitchwood anywhere from Alaska to 26 degrees Lat. here in Okinawa. Gotta love it. Take care.
Greg I got your book a couple of days ago, drop me a line.

------------------
Yol bolsun,
Jamie

I never have carried tinder with me, maybe I had better get in the habit! I have a Strike Force in my butt pack, and pack a metal match in my pocket. I am working on incorporating a metal match in the handles of the survival knives I make.

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

Back