Easy storage for Chinese Cleaver

kimsalls

Gold Member
I bought a Shun DM0712 Chinese Cleaver and realized I had no good way to store. I came up with a down and dirty solution using hobby basswood from the hardware store and Elmer’s glue. See below for pictures of how I added to my knife block.

Hopefully this is a just a proof of concept, and I will come back and do a nicer version.
7n44Mhp.jpg

hAmABOz.jpg

nuaOppG.jpg

75H2mOl.jpg

Last edited:
Brilant! My cleaver usually sits at the bottom of the draw sliding around getting dull.

Nice. Another option is some magnets on one side, so you have a (or perhaps 2 parallel) knife strip on one side.

That's a great knife. I bought one a while back because it was the least expensive Chinese-style knife I could find in a nice steel. My wife uses it every day, and I sharpen it about once every couple months. When it's still pretty sharp I hone it on a polished steel and strop it every couple days and when it starts to get a little dull I hone on an Idahone fine ceramic stone. When that stops working it's time to sharpen again. The grooved honing rod that comes with most knife sets shouldn't really ever touch this, but you probably know that.

We keep the knives most used on a strip, but I cut some slots in a board to make a knife holder in a one of the kitchen drawers for the other ones.

Back