Recommendation? Easy to close blade for bartender girlfriend

So when my girlfriend asked if I could suggest a knife to help her open beer boxes at work, obviously I got excited being a bit of a knife nut. Obvious choice was a Spyderco Ladybug...

Wrong.

The ladybug is too small and she has a hard time using the lockback on such a small blade with wet hands and long-ish fingernails.

I've been thinking about what to get her next but I'm stumped (obviously I'm keeping the ladybug for myself lol). So... fellow blade-heads.... here's the want list of features:

Lightweight
Slim design (needs to fit in her yoga pants with the bar-blade)
2.5-3" blade
Button lock or some sort of easy to close lock
Easy opening blade (spydie hole or flipper)
<$500

When I hear button lock, I think of Hogue. The X1 Microflip fits the bill. I like the Wharncliffe blade myself.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Hogue-X1-Microflip-Plunge-Lock--82723

Hogue also makes a Sig Sauer X1 microflip knife with G10 handles. I'd pick G10 over Aluminum in a bar environment.

You could always go BM and the axis lock. I'm not sure how you feel about BM lately tho.

MiniGrip + opening hole (easier to open) + sheepsfoot. She might even find the Noryl handles more comfortable too.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Mini-Griptilian-AXIS-Lock--33665

Last edited:
Tempted to give this to my bartender friend.

Xu5PRFU.jpg

So when my girlfriend asked if I could suggest a knife to help her open beer boxes at work, obviously I got excited being a bit of a knife nut. Obvious choice was a Spyderco Ladybug...

Wrong.

The ladybug is too small and she has a hard time using the lockback on such a small blade with wet hands and long-ish fingernails.

I've been thinking about what to get her next but I'm stumped (obviously I'm keeping the ladybug for myself lol). So... fellow blade-heads.... here's the want list of features:

Lightweight
Slim design (needs to fit in her yoga pants with the bar-blade)
2.5-3" blade
Button lock or some sort of easy to close lock
Easy opening blade (spydie hole or flipper)
<$500
C64FPBLE_Both__58842.1547238345.jpg

Spyderco Rhino or lil Native Comp. Lock

Edit: If autos are legal a UTX 85 or 70

Last edited:
If a lock is not a must feature, friction folders might fit.
You should be able to get a really nice custom piece below $500.

Microtech OTF (UTX-70 or UTX-85) would be great, IF she can work the action (I've known a lot of women not able to do so).
not my photo:
B8FMyvp.jpg

But the BEST option for her: a box cutter.

Seriously, she doesn't need a 3" blade for opening a box of beer, it's actually detrimental. You can get one of the slim snap-off blade designs that are the size of a pen, you can get her a Gerber EAB fold-out style, or you can spend the big bucks and get her one of the slim multitool styles that have a bottle-opener on them:
51DbbRwTBgL._SL1000_.jpg

Ditto for the UKPK or Urban. I own an Urban and it’s a great modern slipjoint. Easy action with opening and closing. All she’d have to do is keep her fingers clear of the blade’s path and close it on her thigh. There’s an recent AEB-L sprint that’s still available at some sites and an older K390 model, but the standard N690 is a good steel choice too. It’s close to VG10, though I personally like N690 a bit more.

eJRaDEE.jpg

Last edited:
you had the right idea, but it seems like you just need a larger one, the perfect solution imho is the dragonfly2

the wharn should be the best box cutter period
C28FPWCBK2_Both.png

Protech Godson?

Lots of colors, easy to open, easy to close, built to last, fits women’s hands well. Can’t go wrong with a Protech.

When I hear button lock, I think of Hogue. The X1 Microflip fits the bill. I like the Wharncliffe blade myself.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Hogue-X1-Microflip-Plunge-Lock--82723

Hogue also makes a Sig Sauer X1 microflip knife with G10 handles. I'd pick G10 over Aluminum in a bar environment.

You could always go BM and the axis lock. I'm not sure how you feel about BM lately tho.

MiniGrip + opening hole (easier to open) + sheepsfoot. She might even find the Noryl handles more comfortable too.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Mini-Griptilian-AXIS-Lock--33665

I'm not a huge Axis lock fan but I do like the look of that microflip. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was not aware of this model - will research for sure!

Microtech OTF (UTX-70 or UTX-85) would be great, IF she can work the action (I've known a lot of women not able to do so).
not my photo:
B8FMyvp.jpg

But the BEST option for her: a box cutter.

Seriously, she doesn't need a 3" blade for opening a box of beer, it's actually detrimental. You can get one of the slim snap-off blade designs that are the size of a pen, you can get her a Gerber EAB fold-out style, or you can spend the big bucks and get her one of the slim multitool styles that have a bottle-opener on them:

I'm nervous about her having a small handle + razor blade in a hectic bar environment. And the larger ones are too bulky. Plus then I can't steal it on her days off and EDC it.

Protech Godson?

Lots of colors, easy to open, easy to close, built to last, fits women’s hands well. Can’t go wrong with a Protech.

Not sure she'll love the idea of the automatic but maybe worth a try.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. If anyone has anything else please mention it. I don't want to do a friction folder or slippie... I'm just trying to think of hectic bar on a friday night I want to eliminate any potential for accidents. She's capable, but at the same time... better safe than sorry.

kershaw leek or OSO sweet?

My wife carries a Delica most of the time but she really likes the axis lock. Easy to use and keeps her fingers out of the blade path when closing. Mini grip or mini freek.

For what it’s worth, my significant other said she’s likes axis locks and the compression lock. She carries a Bugout but also likes the CQI Kapara a good bit. Btw she bartends and serves

Back