• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

eBay flippers

DrubieG__MimicKnives

Tinkering, modding, knives and edc items
Gold Member
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I’ve been wondering for awhile now what people here on the forum think of eBay flippers. I’ve avoided asking this cus it could be a source for sour expression. I don’t mean to incite anything… I’ve just observed some members swoop up the majority of the good deals on the exchange, I assume to flip for a buck on eBay. I know cus I’ve sold the good deals and seen the knife the next day on eBay, as well as seeing others knives there. I also don’t see the flippers selling on here to other members.

Obviously everyone has a right to do what they want with what they buy and own fair and square. I’ve flipped a few, but never with that intention before hand and I don’t make a habit of it. I look for stuff I really want to try and use and enjoy. Also, I see lots of members express their disappointment that they didn’t react quick enough on a listing of a knife they were looking for, and maybe an eBay flipper got there first.

Is it in line with the spirit of the forum? Are they contributing to and participating in the forum according to its intention? I wonder. (Only cus it bothers me a little) sorry

giphy.gif

I personally hate them with every fiber of my being. I regularly tout how amazing the knife community is to people that aren't involved. If it weren't for the scalpers and scammers, I wouldn't need to throw that obligatory "but for . . ." into the conversation. I don't doubt they've been the reason some people have avoided collecting knives. I can absolutely see someone new seeing a knife they love, finding it sold out everywhere, then seeing dozens of scalpers selling them for double or triple the price and just giving up interest all together. They're a pox on an otherwise wonderful community.

If I'm selling a knife for a really good deal, it's with the hopes that it goes to a good home.

I think the action of buying here only to flip on EBay sucks.

And believe me, I see it from several members of BladeForums.

Peakbagger...
If this member buys your knife you should have asked more for it.
Just ridiculous but there is a level of transparency I suppose.
Has the same handle on Ebay, just follow the purchases here and the sales there.

I’ve got a list in my head of BF usernames mapped to eBay sellers. I watch Sebenzas. I avoid buying from them either place, and won’t sell to them either. YMMV

Peakbagger...
If this member buys your knife you should have asked more for it.
Just ridiculous but there is a level of transparency I suppose.
Has the same handle on Ebay, just follow the purchases here and the sales there.

Yep, that’s one for sure.

I think the flippers have been detrimental to the Exchange. Used to be able to find things posted for good prices...then people started taking advantage of those good prices by buying to sell, so people started raising their own prices.

If you have evidence of people (routinely) buying here and selling on eBay, report them to the moderation team. If they confirm, the person will at least have to pop for a dealer membership to continue.

Last edited:
I once wrote some thoughts on this….

I think the flippers have been detrimental to the Exchange. Used to be able to find things posted for good prices...then people started taking advantage of those good prices by buying to sell, so people started reading their own prices.

If you have evidence of people (routinely) buying here and selling on eBay, report them to the moderation team. If they confirm, the person will at least have to pop for a dealer membership to continue.
That sir would be incorrect.

I’ve been wondering for awhile now what people here on the forum think of eBay flippers. I’ve avoided asking this cus it could be a source for sour expression. I don’t mean to incite anything… I’ve just observed some members swoop up the majority of the good deals on the exchange, I assume to flip for a buck on eBay. I know cus I’ve sold the good deals and seen the knife the next day on eBay, as well as seeing others knives there. I also don’t see the flippers selling on here to other members.

Obviously everyone has a right to do what they want with what they buy and own fair and square. I’ve flipped a few, but never with that intention before hand and I don’t make a habit of it. I look for stuff I really want to try and use and enjoy. Also, I see lots of members express their disappointment that they didn’t react quick enough on a listing of a knife they were looking for, and maybe an eBay flipper got there first.

Is it in line with the spirit of the forum? Are they contributing to and participating in the forum according to its intention? I wonder. (Only cus it bothers me a little) sorry
Hey I am always looking for good deals on quality products like the next guy. I buy what I like and feature the value and craftsmanship of my purchase on my YouTube channel to share what I have found - good or bad. People with intentions only to make a profit take those savings and value away by being a “FLIPPER”.

That sir would be incorrect.
It's been done before; though I think more people end up leaving than upping their membership level.
That said, results may vary...and I don't doubt that a blind eye gets turned for some.

It's been done before; though I think more people end up leaving than upping their membership level.
That said, results may vary...and I don't doubt that a blind eye gets turned for some.
I shouldnt have said it was incorrect. I should have said I disagree.

I detest the flippers.
Do my best to vet my sales w/ what info I can glean (here and other hobby forums) to avoid that sort of thing. I've turned down a few suspect buyers in the past.
Sure, maybe I read them wrong, but the best way not to be mistaken for a flipper is to be active in the community.

Hell, I've met some great folks through sales (and purchases). This is a hobby for enthusiasts, not a flea market or swap meet.

If I'm selling a knife for a really good deal, it's with the hopes that it goes to a good home.

+ 1

If someone buys a knife, they can do whatever with it. The one thing that really piss me off are the members who scalp other members here. eBay is one thing, Blade Forums is another. When people want to charge a 100, 200, 300% increase on the exchange , F___ them. Keep the scalping elsewhere please

I’m also just a random person drunk on coffee spewing opinions.

I do love the community here though. There are quite a few members with integrity and values - some are just shit birds though.

This is my only social online presence for selling and buying. I miss the old days when we helped each other out in the exchange because of the love of knives.

Honestly, I don’t sell much anymore because I don’t like to jack the price to be inline with “what they go for these days,” and I also don’t want to sell to a flipper again.

There are a few here.

I have not seen anything, that interests, me cheap on the Exchange for a long time. I just buy from regular/online shops these days.

Back