EDC- 110 vs 112

Hi all,
I'm going to buy a buck knife this week but i'm having a hard time deciding between the 110 and 112. I've only recently started carrying a knife, a kershaw leek, which i like and am even using for various little cutting jobs.
Which of the two bucks would be more comfortable to carry around in the pocket as an EDC and as my first buck purchase?
Maybe there is another buck that would suit me better for light cutting duties and carrying comfort?
Thanks
Andre

I like the size and heft of a 110FG. But I carry mine in a sheath on my belt. My brother prefers the 112. I say it's a win/win but your milage may vary. :)

big hands =110 smaller hands=112
if a large knife that fits in the pocket or sheath
go for the discountuned
Duke 500!
i bought a 112 when they first came out,,
i am 6'2" and it felt small
but i could have been too used to the 110 by then
my dream knife is a 110 with a 112 hook
now that would make a hell of a club fund raser knife!

Welcome to Bladeforums.com andy66!!! :D Please take a moment or two to visit our benefactors, Buck Knives http://www.buckknives.com/ and One Stop Knife Shop http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/ (Kevin owns this Forum!) ;) Please consider upgrading your membership and keep BladeForums.com open!!!

Buck has a very interesting Virtual Plant Tour at http://www.buckknives.com/plant_tour.php , a guide to Tang Stamp Codes at http://www.buckknives.com/collectors_vintage.php , a discussion of Steels used in Buck Knives at http://www.buckknives.com/technical_steel.php, you can order a Custom-Built Buck Knife at http://www.buckknives.com/custom_knife_shoppe.php, and there is a brief introduction to the Buck Collectors Club at http://www.buckknives.com/collectors_club.php. The Buck Collectors Club commissions special and unique versions of Buck knives for member sales only, so you might want to consider joining to gain access to some of these truly awesome knives!!! :)

* If you have a problem posting pictures, there is a Quick & Dirty tutorial at Photobucket For Dummies. If you don't have a digital camera, but do have a scanner, lay your knife on the glass and throw a light colored towel/t-shirt/cloth over it and scan it. Save the pic, and follow the above instructions for posting pics.

**Please be considerate of those who must pay for bandwidth - post thumbnails of your pics. Instructions are in the Photobucket For Dummies tutorial.

*** If you are getting a blank screen (no hits) when using the Search function, follow these instructions courtesy of Cougar Allen [paraphrased] -

Click on "Search This Forum" (in the Forum you want searched); then click "Advanced Search"; select "Search Titles Only"; and put your subject in the keyword field. If you search all of Bladeforums for every occurrence of the subject that will overload the search function and you'll get no results, but if you follow these directions you'll find what you want.

**** If you are planning on posting links to live eBay auctions, read these two Moderator comments first -

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4008838&postcount=71

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4008919&postcount=75

***** If you are trying to contact Buck Knives by email for warranty/repair questions, email -

Joe Houser
Director of Consumer Relations, Buck Knives Inc.
Buck Collectors Club Administrator
JHouser@buckknives.com

And Mr. Houser should be able to help you with your warranty/repair questions.

chickentrax,

What is up with the "canned" responses you always give? I understand you are trying to help out but I would be really annoyed with that kind of answer if I was a newbie. I would be really annoyed because it seems as you are treating him like he doesn't have the intelligence to look for stuff on his own. It would be different if you posted this and he had a question that was answered in the canned response.

Andy66,

I have been carrying a Buck 112 for a while now. I just recently put a 110 back in my pocket and found it too large and heavy. I really like the 112 much better than the 110. :)

The 110 is a dang hefty knife, which might be good if you are a "workin' man" out on the tractor all day, chopping up dead cattle to throw in the sink hole, and working in the lumber mill at night for giggles. For city slickers and desk jockies, something a little smaller (which could still be big) might work better for EDC. So it just depends on your needs.

At only $30 from Walmart, you need a 110 either way. The only question is whether to carry it.

cheers

Andy: I have a Kershaw Leek and, for a non-Buck it's not too bad :p I'd go with a 112 for daily pocket carry over a 110, although both of them will feel huge in your pocket compared to the Leek.

Two other Bucks that are great for pocket carry are the Alpha Dorado and the Odyssey.

If you want something to carry in your pocket, check out the Sirus or the Mayo TNT. Both make excellent EDC and fit nicely in your pocket with a clip. I carry the TNT everyday to the office. I would not leave home without it. :thumbup:

Hey Andy...
That is a tough call. Ginger or Mary Ann?

I started cutting myself with Buck 110 knives back in the mid-70's. And, up until last year, I never had a 112. I always dismissed it as kine like a oddity.
That is until the guys here convinced me to get one (112).

Since then, I would go with a 112 for EDC...BUT that is only if I had one with upgraded steel. My 112 knives are stock steel. And no, I am not a steel snob. I'm just f'n lazy. The other steels don't need to be sharpened as often.

The 112 feels more comfortable to me.

So, that is a long way to say, both knives with the same steel, I would EDC a 112.

I do have the BCCI 112 S30V but it's a trophy wife.
Given that, my EDC du jour is a 110NS BG-42 jigged Oriental Buff.

Now that I read what I wrote, my advice is for you to get one of each and report back what your preference is :)

And, I like Trax's greeting. But that's just me. Maybe he should e-mail the data to newbies?

...my dream knife is a 110 with a 112 hook...

If you're talking about the little hook on the handle near the pivot I'm with you there, I love that about the 112.:thumbup:

Andy66, if you're happy with the size of the Leek, the 112 will be very similar. If it's too small, then obviously the 110 is front runner. I've carried a 112 in my back pocket along side my wallet for years and I'm quite used to the weight now. Lately I've found switching to a 110 is not that big a change but it's pushing the limits of pocket carry, a belt sheath is better.

As an alternate to either, take a look at the Buck Rush. It's a little smaller than the 112/Leek, lightweight and has a clip. People I know who have them like them. The Sirus is a little bigger than the 112/Leek/Rush, not as big as the 110.

Hi Andy66,

Welcome to the buck forum. When at home...away from work I carry a Buck 110 in a sheath and a Buck Tempest in my pocket. When at work only the Tempest in my pocket. I find that both the 110 and 112 are a bit thick and heavy for front pocket carry. I recommend the Tempest for pocket carry; it's a sweet knife and large enough to tackle most odd jobs. However, You should buy one of all three and EDC them and pick the one that fits your needs best.

Oh, Trax keep sending your info packet to the new folks.....no other site give the new fish the time of day!!!!

jb4570

Thinking outside the box, how about the half-size 110, the 55? (don't think anyone's mentioned it yet) I suggest this because, for me, my 110 is a big knife to lugg around in a pocket, but I don't like the blade shape of the 112, at least in pictures of it, and the difference in weight is prob too small to be significant. That said, I don't know how the 55 handles or how it holds up as a workhorse or anything, but from the info i've seen on it, it looks like a good compromise on the 110's size while keeping its basic look.

Hey Andy!

I collect 110s but for EDC I just bought a Sirrus and REALLY like that knife.:D
The blade geometry is mesermising to me for some reason.:confused: Its thin, light weight, has the clip. I will carry in my hip pocket or in my boot.
Trax, when was that vote taken? :confused: :confused: I've seen nothing to discourage your Newbie greeting. Please carry on.;)

Hi all,
I'm going to buy a buck knife this week but i'm having a hard time deciding between the 110 and 112. I've only recently started carrying a knife, a kershaw leek, which i like and am even using for various little cutting jobs.
Which of the two bucks would be more comfortable to carry around in the pocket as an EDC and as my first buck purchase?
Maybe there is another buck that would suit me better for light cutting duties and carrying comfort?
Thanks
Andre

Welcome to the forun Andy, and you other new guys.

When I know I might be doing some work, I have the 110 Alaskan Guide on my belt in one of the Horizontal carry nylon sheaths that ChickenTrax set me up with. It carries like it is almost not there and eliminated the drag, as I get in and out of the truck.

I am not a large person but I am in great shape (round is a shape :eek: ) and I still prefer the 110 over the 112 when I am working it. I want a handle that completely fills my hand and maybe a little more. The 112 is just a little shy of that.

For that same reason, after I picked up a 174 in a "need" situation one time. A while later I got the matching 179 that is longer. Check those out on the Buck site. Might be something you would be interested in for EDC.

Oh yeah,,,,you can get tarpaper droppings off of a 179 with WD40 :D :D

Welcome to the forun Andy, and you other new guys.

Thank you, Pack Rat! I've been here a few weeks, but you're the first to give me a welcome, and I appreciate it! :)

...I have the 110 Alaskan Guide on my belt in one of the Horizontal carry nylon sheaths that ChickenTrax set me up with.

I don't really know any sheath makers...maybe it was Buckaholic that set you up??? :confused:

Trax,,,,,remember that 2005 wally tin you sent me?? Just the tin and lesser grade nylon sheath that came in them......

Those sheaths are both vertical and horizontal carry sheaths.

I usually carry EDC in my front pocket, and as much as I love 110's, after getting my first 112 I hardly ever carry a 110 EDC.

I think my favorite knife for pocket carry is the 532. It isn’t much shorter than the 110 but it is much skinnier and I find it more comfortable. Mine is BG-42 and is with me today. On the days when I am not wearing jeans I usually carry a slip joint of some kind, easier on the sheeple.

Trax, I really like your greeting. I think you should use it and not take to heart any comment that is not positive.

Well that is an endless debate ....does size matter?

A 110 or a 112 are heavy and somewhat large knives. I would consider the common use and ask if that is too big or is it what you need. If a smaller thinner knife would work then you have so many to select from just in the Buck line up alone.

I collect 110's only have a couple of 112 which are nice but I like the little extra blade on the 110.

Back