EDC AMERICAN LAWMAN or ?

I'm retired now and have never owned a CS. I was thinking about getting an AMERICAN LAWMAN for general EDC use or is there a better choice for light duty use?

The lawman is perfect for general EDC and just a beautiful design. Get one! :thumbup:

You can find the AUS 8 version for a low price right now. If you love it, you can grab the XHP version later when they become available everywhere.

@jonnyfgroove You talked me into it. The price is great and I like the overall design. Thanks for your answer.

I ve never had a Cold Steel knife, but I was able to handle a Lawman at a local store a couple of weeks ago. Good fit and finish and did appear strong. A little stiff to unlock. Just the size I like for edc. I wish they would be available in uncoated blades. Will also look at the Code 4. Waiting for the new steel.

That coating on the AUS8 lawman comes off easy and there is a very nice looking stone washed blade hiding underneath. I also took the coating off the lock bar and clip. Very, very happy with the knife.
Bob

The new Ultimate Hunter folder looks like a great edc to me. I know that many people are like "a hunting knife?" I find the qualities that make a good hunter also make for good edc.

The new Ultimate Hunter folder looks like a great edc to me. I know that many people are like "a hunting knife?" I find the qualities that make a good hunter also make for good edc.

There are a lot of people who carried Buck 110s for a lot of years that agree with you. ;)

The Ultimate Hunter has me intrigued. Handle looks much more rounded and comfortable than the Lawman.

One thing to keep in mind is that the new American Lawman models in CTS-XHP are going to be slimmer in the pocket, lighter, and more comfortable for EDC. I am getting one for certain.

I just recently bought a cold steel hold out 3 for less than $30.00 shipped. It makes a great edc full flat grind 3" blade 2.5 ounces. The lock was stiff at first but over time has worn in nicely.

I have the 07 or 08 model-the one with steel liners-complete perfection. I prefer it to the current Lawman, because the action is much more buttery, and the pivot for the lockbar is more forward, giving more leverage on the press, and making for a smooth press to unlock the knife. I don't know why it is closer on the newer models, as the lockup on mine is vault tight, with absolutely zero play in any direction. My name is not Nutnfancy, so I do not care about the extra ounce of weight that the liners give. IMHO that particular run of the American Lawman, is the toughest hard use folder ever made.

Another knife that I adore is the Mackinac Hunter. You should take a look at that one as well. The increased weight is offset my how much less space it takes in the pocket. And the satin finished AUS8a, is more resistant to spotting and staining than the stonewashed blade of the AL.

With that said, I prefer the 07/08 American Lawman to any hard use folder on the market, but I prefer the Mackinac Hunter to the current Lawman.

I think I'm getting the Lawman to start and save for the Ultimate Hunter.

If they had given the recon 1 the less aggressive g-10 I would be all over it. I do like the design better than the lawman, but that g-10 wreaks havoc on pants.

I like the Hold Out 2 for EDC. I'm awaiting the new XHP version.

Back