Recommendation? EDC / Beefy Folder Recs?

A strong ergonomic edc knife with plenty of potential for outdoor use is the Cold
Steel Ultimate Hunter. Great tough steel treated for edge retention (xhp). Flat ground. Light and strong.
I used to carry my 551 daily and really liked it. I think you ll like the Ultimate Hunter as well or better. And the price makes it a steal.
For a larger knife, look at the Recon 1. Now flat ground.
One of my two most carried edc s today is the American Lawman. Also flat ground now. A bit lighter than the 551, but probably stronger. With equal or better steel.

I only comment on knives I own. Not sure if you will like any of these but I'm happy with them:

- Benchmade Adamas (D2)
- Buck/Tops CSAR-T Folder (154CM) made in USA
- Cold Steel SR1 (CPM-S35VN)
- FOX SpecWOG (N690Co)
- Kizer Bolt (VG-10)

Also the Cold Steel Spartan and Pocket Bushman are tough as nails but I'm not really fans of either one. That said, I see a lot of rave reviews for both of them so obviously many others like them.

If you want something "different" the Camillus Dominator Carbonitride may be worth looking at. It's an inversion style so the blade doesn't technically fold. The bottom portion of the handle rotates forward to enclose the blade.

I suggest BM Contegos in M4 and S390. Also, Ritter Grip and Manix 2 XL.

The finest heavy-duty knife I've ever owned (I had two) was the Spyderco TUFF. This can be found on the Exchange from time to time. The 3V bladesteel and the entire folder is just an outstanding knife... Look around for one...it's worth looking at.

The finest heavy-duty knife I've ever owned (I had two) was the Spyderco TUFF. This can be found on the Exchange from time to time. The 3V bladesteel and the entire folder is just an outstanding knife... Look around for one...it's worth looking at.
I recommend a zt 0620 in elmax if you're into tantos. Its easily my favorite knife and i chopped through a 2x4 with it and it would still shave. It has a titanium frame lock and the coating holds up well. I personally think the recon 1 is good too, it's light for its size. I had a bad experience with the cts-xhp steel but it was just bad look. I would recommend it though

The 0550 is one of the few knives I have two of... love em. Also have a few other Hinderers (0560, 0562, 0392, XM18) and for my money the 0550 and 0560 are my favorites. The 0562 would be a good choice. Also check out the discounted 0801 if you like a nice solid knife with some weight like the 0550.

That said, something about the ergos of the Spyderco Native 5 actually reminds me of the 0550... Be sure to hold one if you have the chance. If it's too small check out the Manix2.

Lots of steels out there, but I'd find the right knife first, steel second.

My next knife will likely be a Lion Steel SR11. Not a fancy steel in Sleipner but a beefy knife with a 3 5/8" blade and great looking style.

sr11a-rb_1.jpg

ZT 0620 is a good one and still available.

Not exiting steel, but Emerson CQC-15 is my go to hard use EDC and it really takes a beating. I'd trust it with my life in any situation.

If I understand your original post, you are looking for info on steels, not specific knives. I don't make folders, so I can't make any recommendations about specific manufacturers. I can, however, speak to steels. S35VN is an excellent steel - good toughness, easy to sharpen, holds an edge very well. Can be hardened to Rc 61 if you don't try to pound it through a piece of pipe. My only complaint is that quite a bit of what I have gotten is not very clean. By the time I get it ground down (FFF) there are quite a few inclusions on the surface. By the time they are all gone, I may have gone from .100 to .0902. Maybe doesn't make a lot of difference in the real world but it is a lot of wasted time and very irritating.

Elmax has the same 3% vanadium as does S35VN, but it has 18% chrome, while S35VN has only 14%. It will be a little bit tougher and more rust resistant than S35VN and it can be hardened to Rc 62. IMHO, it is no harder to sharpen than S35VN and, again IMHO, a little bit better steel than S35VN.

M390 has 4% vanadium and 20% chrome, which is a considerable step up from the previous two steels. Edge holding and rust resistance will be quite a bit better, although the hardness should be kept to Rc 60 to maintain it's toughness. I don't think it is any harder to sharpen than the other steels.

I suspect that most of the folder manufacturers have gone to S35VN because it is an excellent steel and quite a bit less expensive than Elmax or M390.

Just my opinion.

ZT 0620 is a good one and still available.

Not exiting steel, but Emerson CQC-15 is my go to hard use EDC and it really takes a beating. I'd trust it with my life in any situation.
I could lightly spine whack my 620 on my knee and get it to close. I’ve had several ZT knives like this. Something about their build or design that doesn’t sit right with me.

My own (amateur) experience with S35VN has lead me to feel it's different and more forgiving than S30V, including to sharpen. I would buy S35VN with confidence.
I do prefer Elmax though, seems to hold an edge better and only takes a little more patience to sharpen.

My 0562 is Elmax and it's a great work folder but as stated above ZT has stopped using Elmax and gone to S35VN. Still think an 0562 would be a good choice.

My other work knife is a Manix 2 XL, had it since 2012, most carried knife at work since then. For a workhorse I unhesitatingly recommend the every strong, highly ergonomic XL, (needs a deep carry clip though) and much as I wish Spyderco would do a Manix XL run in Elmax, I have no real complaint about the XL's S30V.

Benchmade 551-1 griptilian cpm-20cv $178
Axis lock is very strong much stronger than a frame lock and it has g10 handles

Spyderco sprint run manix 2 with cpm-s90v blade and carbon fiber handles $240 it has the ball bearing lock very strong probably still stronger than a frame lock

Zero tolerance 0920 large cpm-20cv (more or less M390) blade and titanium frame lock with internal milling so it carry’s very nice for such a big knife

Hate on this post all you want, but frame locks are not the best choice for hard serious work, sure they cut and won't close on your that easy but they aren't for tool-like use IMO. Your grip when torquing, twisting or making sudden movements both positive and negative are realistic in a tough work situation. Blows my mind that people suggest pocket jewelry for hard outdoor use. Just because it has thick blade stock and weighs a ton doesn't take away the fact that the blade is being held open by a little bit of tension on a lock bar that you hope has a good face to face tang/lock bar geometry that wont slip under work conditions. I own locks of all kinds and like them all, but for actual serious work outdoors and to have the knife function and lock up the same after years of it, the tri-ad lock is the one that will take it and keep on smiling while keeping your fingers in tact.

I would think the worst part in hard use frame lock would be your fingers or grip disengaging the frame lock. Well if it did disengage and lop your fingers off you could just use your other hand. A fixed blade and your spare hand should work.

Back