EDC Knife comparison

Fallbrook Forge

Gold Member
I'm ready to get myself some of Scott's knives and would really appreciate it if anyone could post up comparison pics of any combination of Tusker companion, 5" Tusker no choil, Deer Creek, and Polaris. I'll be getting one of these to accompany one if his upcoming BBTs.

Also, any thoughts on which you prefer as an EDC blade would be great as well. I'm thinking the Polaris or Tusker companion will make a better EDC due to size, and I prefer the look of the Tusker companion.

My current EDC switches between a Mora Companion and a Becker necker. I like the point on the Mora a lot, I have found a sharp, pointy point to be very useful. But like the belly and overall blade shape of the becker a bit more, if it had a pointier point it would be great. And definitely prefer the full size handle of the mora.

I'm an AD Marine that would use this for daily cutting chores to include, but certainly not limited to: food prep, rope, canvas, wood(pointers for briefs, camouflage, traps etc) gardening, teaching my kids, camping and hunting.

I am not a veteran, have never been active duty, but bear with me. For the civilian in south Cali, presumably around THE Marine base out there, I would say that either the UNK or PSK would be the best model for EDC use. However, you are AD on THE base out there. I think that the UNK or PSK would be easiest to carry around on your everyday gear (not the "full battle rattle"). If you are cleared to carry a fixed blade, and comfortable carrying a large fixed blade, I think the Polaris would be your best bet. The Deer Creek is a great knife, but may be too big for daily carry. I am a big guy, fat and tall. I have big hands. I prefer carrying a micro Kephart, in between the size of the UNK and PSK, made by Scott. Sometimes I carry my UNK instead, but it's usually the micro Kephart. The Tusker companion is another option similar to the Polaris, maybe a little bigger. The 5" Tusker is like the Polaris, too big for EDC in my opinion.

There are plenty of active duty and veteran members that come by here, they should be able to give you a better idea. My money would be on the Polaris or UNK. It may come down to length and style of blade. Scott does make a larger Polaris, and he makes a 4" version of the UNK. UFK/Utility field knife.

It's easy to spend your money ;), but I would think a great start would be the Polaris, UNK and BBT.

When you say THE Marine base, you mean 29 Palms right;) that's where I "grew up", but I'm not currently stationed there unfortunately.

I live in a much more rural area, a belt knife is very much normal where I'm at. The dang brown canvas Polaris that I was eye balling got snatched up. Fess up whoever you are!

So I'm going to wait for the Tusker companions in the hopes that one has brown canvas, and there's a matching BBT.

Last edited:
Yep, after missing out on the 2" wide S7 I wanted I scored that 8" BBT! I'm stoked!

Now I'm just waking for a Tusker companion or Polaris for an EDC to go with it!

Yep, after missing out on the 2" wide S7 I wanted I scored that 8" BBT! I'm stoked!

Now I'm just waking for a Tusker companion or Polaris for an EDC to go with it!

Just posted two Tusker Companions A2 steel in the online store. Black canvas and black/green canvas.
Scott

I appreciate the heads up Scott, but I'm going to hold out for a brown handle. Although there's a rosewood handled one for sale that's quite attractive...

Back