EDC Pliers In Addition to SAK?

Hi all,

I EDC a Vic Farmer, and have for years now. I used to be a bike mechanic back in the day, and then worked in a warehouse throughout high school and college. This required me to carry a full size multi-tool in addition. I used to get tired of the weight riding around on my belt, and also the fact that it would constantly smack into things around me as I was walking through isles or working on something in the shop. To remedy this I started carrying a dedicated pair of crappy Stanley needle nose pliers in the back pocket. The Farmer I carry has the perfect tool set for what my daily life requires - except pliers. Do any of you carry a dedicated set of pliers in addition to your SAK? If so what Pliers do y'all recommend?

- Toph

No, I do not carry a set of pliers, but this is exactly what I am thinking about.
Thinking about some knipex pliers.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

No, I do not carry a set of pliers, but this is exactly what I am thinking about.
Thinking about some knipex pliers.

I have been pretty extensively looking at Knipex tools. Their 08 21 145 6" Needle Nose Combination Pliers look really good as well as the 125 Mini Pliers Wrench.

A very nice solution it's a SAK with pliers (for precise grabbing and pinching, those are quite capable of small jobs) and this:

20170312_150344_zpsxkdraeep.jpg

Knipex makes really nice tools of all kinds

A very nice solution it's a SAK with pliers (for precise grabbing and pinching, those are quite capable of small jobs) and this

That's a good looking collection! Those Cobras look well loved. I have considered getting the Handyman, but I cant give up my Farmer. The minimalist tool set is just what I need in all aspects of my daily life - Except for some pocketable heavy duty Pliers.

I carry channel lock brand needle nose or some irwin brand channel locks both are good for me and not super expensive.

Rough Rider makes a nice small knife with pliers, screw driver and blade.
Rich

I did have a cyber tool with the small victorinox pliers, and they are okay as described above for small things.
But I would rather go with dedicated needle nosed pliers or a cobra in the future because you can exert quite some force if necessary where I found the victorinox ones lacking in that department.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

I do not carry pliers on my person, just a Pioneer X and a Spyderco. But I do like the Knipex Cobra 5 inch pliers, carry one in an EDC organizer in my bag. Useful and capable little bugger.

DSC_0410-small_zpsohkrc4qg.jpg

DSC_0416-small_zpsys6fkdty.jpg

DSC_0425-small_zpsy643rpaf.jpg

Last edited:
I carry a backpack daily for my laptop. On weekends, I carry a smaller pack. I carry a full sized MT in those packs.

On my person, I don't need pliers. I carry a knife and a Leatherman Micra.

80bc31c42fd192572c088903d264f44c_zpsmhq3omyq.jpg

I gave up on plier based multi-tools several years ago. These old Cee Tees are my favorite pliers and i add a celidor sak and im good to go.

I carry a leatherman fuse , but if I was to carry just pliers I think I'd go with a 6" pair of channellock slipjoint pliers.
Their tools are of great quality which I trust and are very affordable.

I would carry a set of Robogrip pliers, myself. Keep a set in the car, because they can adjust very quickly. Easy to use with one hand.

I've been known to carry a small pair of vice-grips, but parrot beak channel locks are also very handy. Both are pretty heavy for an edc tool.

The Knipex 5" cobra pliers (87 01 125) are truly remarkable. They're tiny, but they do the job of full-size tools.

I carrry them in my bag, and they have proven to be lifesavers on more than one occasion.

Knipex pliers are great. :thumbup:

Before Victorinox produced the SwissTool and before Vise-Grip/Schrade produced the Vise-Grip Toolbox, Victorinox and Vise-Grip teamed up to make a "Legends" set. It contained a Victorinox Swiss army knife, a Vise-Grip pliers, and a belt sheath to hold both.

IMG_0085_zpszbvxyk0l.jpg

IMG_0087_zpszdrsrg1o.jpg

Knipex pliers are great. :thumbup:

Before Victorinox produced the SwissTool and before Vise-Grip/Schrade produced the Vise-Grip Toolbox, Victorinox and Vise-Grip teamed up to make a "Legends" set. It contained a Victorinox Swiss army knife, a Vise-Grip pliers, and a belt sheath to hold both.

IMG_0085_zpszbvxyk0l.jpg

IMG_0087_zpszdrsrg1o.jpg

I never had an original of those, i guess the needed "compensations" after those years was getting all the Vise Grip multitools from the major brands out there (Kershaw, Leatherman, Schrade, still missing the Gerber Grappler though!)

CAM02959_zpscmh6krjm.jpg

Back