EDC whistle

I do, not necessarily on purpose but because it's part of my paracord bracelet buckle

Last edited:
I've been eyeing on whistle for dog walks but I haven't quite found one yet that has "sold on me". If anyone has ideas, let me know!

I carry one in my backpack. So, not on my person and thus not at all times, but close enough whenever I'm going someplace more significant.

I always carried one as a scout leader. We had it arranged with the kids that if they hear 2 blasts, they were to return to camp. Our guys really took to that, always came right back when whistled, and consequently always had a lot more freedom than the other troops.

Now there's one on the band of my headlamp, so the one in my pocket has been retired.

I have a whistle on my keyring, similar to what tiguy has. Mine is aluminum, and about 1/2" in diameter, 2.5" long. His is a little nicer and sleeker, so I might switch one like that.

Good to have if you're hiking and need to signal for help. Also, our dog could hear it from quite a distance too. It was a good way to call her back to us if needed.

~Chris

Last edited:
I don't carry a whistle but I'm seriously looking into getting a nice one like the titanium one shown here. It just seems like such a good thing to have in case of an emergency fro signalling purposes or for just communicating over long distances when out in the woods.

I carry a couple, a cheap one with a thin single note for teaching archery (I run my line with a whistle) and also carry a fox-40 on the ribz-pack-o-doom for the unlikely need of a SAR type situation, and the more likely need of absolutely getting the attention of a bunch of kids. I can make myself heard with just my voice, but it tends to trash me for a few days afterwords. Also, I like to keep well ahead of Mr. Murphy. As far as normal urban wanderings, no, but I can see if I did any park walking or similar it would be worth while, any place where you might need to call out for help, you should have a whistle, they beat a voice by a long way, and its unusual enough that you can break into people's zoned out-ness.

IMG_2052.jpg Sometimes you can make a whistle out of your flashlight by blowing across the open end. Test for volume and clarity of sound.

Used to carry an orange plastic Perry Whistle on my key ring. Took it off in the interest of bulk.

Zieg

I keep one in my car. And whenever I go hiking I carry one in case I need to signal an SOS. It's also good when on the beach since the loud surf drowns out one's voice should you need a lifeguard's attention.

I have a JetScream whistle on a separate keying (without keys) that also holds a mini prybar and a tiny light. The JetScream is pealess and is very loud and extremely lightweight. I've read some reviews of people who said theirs weren't loud enough. Theirs were obviously defective. I've been carrying mine for years and never had any problems. I don't use it often, but it's better to have and not need it than vice versa.

I've heard of people who were in accidents that went off the road, and they couldn't get help by getting heard/noticed. A good whistle may have helped them to be rescued sooner.

Jim

I carry one when I work outside on location with others. If there is a coworker that is very far away (say on a beach or walking back to the car in a field), you can get their attention instantly. The very small titanium bar ones that a bunch of companies make now are weightless but very loud!

IMG_3110.JPG

Last edited:
When I'm outdoors I carry a Fox 40 Howler Whistle on a lanyard attached to a SAK. It's main use is a dog whistle. I trained my German Short Hair using it. I have kept one in various packs for emergency use over the years but never needed to use one.

Back