EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

I find thats a good solution myself when flying also. Picked up a SAK Recruit last vacation at Lake Tahoe and left it for someone to find upon heading home. Its actually still in my profile pic!

I purchased my Southard secondhand as well off the exchange here and it pretty much wouldn't flip at all as the bearings were about seized up. (it was a good deal though). The modded scale on it was already installed and is actually the stocker that’s been carved with a rock pattern as well as the G10 over travel stop on the lock side to match.

I seem to recall one of the dimensions on the replacement bearings I used were different also and not an exact match but it has not been an issue. as long as one of the dimensions (ID or OD) fits correctly it should keep the bearings from wandering in the pivot and as long as the thickness is close of course.

I feel like the stock polymer cages were part of the problem (vs the metal cages which should hold up better) as when I took the knife down they did not turn freely in the scale pockets along with cupped washers although I did not replace the stock washers in mine so I may have left some action on the table but it works well enough.
after experiencing the same issue with my Spyderco domino which happens to use the exact same bearings as the Southard, the latter received the same upgrade.
looks like from your video you’ve worked out the action quite nicely on your southard.

Beautiful work as always!

Beautiful acquisition there brother and i think the standoffs and lanyard enhance the aesthetics nicely.

View attachment 1662318
The thresher doesnt get enough pocket time so out it came from its zipper pouch today. One of Massdrops nicer offerings imo and well made being manufactured by WE with equally nice action and blade geometry.
Thanks for the reply.
I never would have picked that to be the stock G10 one. Interesting that you could still use the factory washers, does that mean they are cupped like that from new?

This hasn’t been entirely true in my experience (I have three, one used heavily, one lightly, and the third stays LNIB). Admittedly the “feel” is different from most, ZT for example, but I find it quite gratifying. All of mine keep the original internals.

I’m glad you were able to get ahold of some TACO’s!!!

BINGO! The OD of those cages has to be small enough to spin freely in the pockets, or the knife WILL flip like garbage. I’ve had to radius the OD on my user a few times…but it stays sweet 😉.

As much as the cupped washers scare me, they (somewhat surprisingly) haven’t seemed to negatively impact my Spyderco Southards…yet.

—ok, yeah, I’m kind if a fanboy for the knife. 😁
Thanks again 👍 it’s good to have back ups for a knife that is definitely a keeper.

Took a spin to go rescue my oldest son up the mountain this evening, his UTV belt broke, so my bud, niece, and myself went up to rescue him.

Carried this beast Cold Steel along the way.

View attachment 1661956View attachment 1661957
Polaris Ranger - best SxS on the market. :)
Oh you guys have got me headed way off topic now. :rolleyes: MR, do you always carry the Bush Ranger when you're out in the Polaris Ranger? Nice cab mods on that six passenger. SxSxSxS+2?

I don't know what we'd do up North without our 2005 Ranger 4x4. Aside from being our usual mode of transportation around our extremely rural neighborhood and a fun way to explore the surrounding countryside, the Polaris is a serious workhouse on our Vermont acreage, towing our pull-behind mower to maintain our hilltop meadow and to restore the two small, long neglected fields on our lower acreage.

Bx7i5JJ.jpg

Hooking up the logging arch lets us haul good sized stems out of the woods...

56SiPIz.jpg

...and right to our landing near the cabin so we can buck, split, and load the wood back in the Ranger and right into the woodshed.

DRWb2ZC.jpg

If you look real carefully in the back of the Ranger you'll see my orange Endura, so I've at least got a knife in this post.

Oh you guys have got me headed way off topic now. :rolleyes: MR, do you always carry the Bush Ranger when you're out in the Polaris Ranger? Nice cab mods on that six passenger. SxSxSxS+2?

I don't know what we'd do up North without our 2005 Ranger 4x4. Aside from being our usual mode of transportation around our extremely rural neighborhood and a fun way to explore the surrounding countryside, the Polaris is a serious workhouse on our Vermont acreage, towing our pull-behind mower to maintain our hilltop meadow and to restore the two small, long neglected fields on our lower acreage.

Bx7i5JJ.jpg

Hooking up the logging arch lets us haul good sized stems out of the woods...

56SiPIz.jpg

...and right to our landing near the cabin so we can buck, split, and load the wood back in the Ranger and right into the woodshed.

DRWb2ZC.jpg

If you look real carefully in the back of the Ranger you'll see my orange Endura, so I've at least got a knife in this post.
The one in my pic my firefighter bud just bought. It has a small lift and 30 inch tires. Pretty amazing machines. I always thought there was no point for one for me, as I have several 4wd trucks with mods....but I now know better.

They are incredibly capable off road, and the smooth ride is high on the wow factor.

I was heading up the mountain on a Tacoma to tow my son and friends broken belt Ranger, and that would have taken four hours or better to get to where they were, assuming I didn't get stuck. The rescue Ranger I was on took one hour total to get there, tow them out, and take us back to our BBQ.

Pretty awesome.

I’m in the market for a small fixed blade similar to that (grind, materials, and sheath)…care to share the dimensions?
For sure.

~3" cutting edge,
~6.3" OAL,
.145" blade stock,
~0.008" BTE

The magnacut is in the 64.5-65.5 Rockwell range so it averages out to 65. The maker was deep cuts cutlery and he makes some really cool knives. I think he has a knife drop tomorrow morning at 8:00 am CST 😁

MolokaiRider MolokaiRider and Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery , our place in Vermont is in a town with 29 people per square mile and we're in kind of a remote corner of it to give you an idea. There are dirt roads, some working fields, some abandoned in succession, with mostly northern hardwoods forest. Just about everyone in our neighborhood has a side-by-side--most of them Rangers about the same vintage as mine with a CanAm, John Deere, and Kubota thrown in along with an ATV (quad bike) or two. We all have 4x4 trucks and most have tractors. If you're going into town you take your car or truck, but into the woods or around the local roads it's the Ranger.

Our lower property has one old woods road that dates back into the 1800's headed out back and through my neighbors' properties that's like a highway for the Ranger but is wicked tight and rough for a pickup through our section. Our upper acreage comprises two hilltops with a well-built gravel road climbing 200 feet to the eastern hilltop meadow, but all the other access over, back and through the woods is old skid trails that you'd never get a truck through. The Ranger gets around them like nothing, though I need to spend some time next season brush-hogging with the tow-behind as they haven't been maintained for a few years. Still, my oldest son and I went up one on the second hill last summer in the Ranger just motoring over one inch saplings like they weren't there.

Definitely amazing vehicles both for fun and work. Add a winch and throw a couple snatch bocks, a strap, and a chain in the back and you can go anywhere with confidence.

WYEUg7j.jpg

You can even pose knives on them.

uw6lrTV.jpg

Back