EDC2 in 4V?

Will we ever see an EDC2 in 4V?

What would be the upside vs downside? Did Nathan decide a little more toughness in 3V results in a better knife and if so for what targeted uses?

Thanks but I have read that one and that’s where I got the information that Nathan feels 3V is tougher but 4V is more of interest to steel nuts. I wasn’t sure what he was talking about.

But there is a little more information in post 14 in thread titled EDC/EDC2. Nathan said he had some “sudden catastrophic failures” with 4V. I wonder what happened.

If that happened while chopping through cinder blocks or large nails, that might be fine for some. It would concern others if it happened while battoning through a pine knot. I would hope those who want to cut up a lot of cardboard have nothing to fear while using 4V.

Maybe this question belongs in the Ask Nathan a Question thread.

Last edited:
I found this post by Nathan :
“Like all steels, the corrosion resistance of 3V is greatly effected by the heat treat which determines how much free chrome there is. Since it's such a borderline material in it's corrosion resistance, this detail can have a very noticeable effect, so one can't make a broad statement. I have seen 3V be almost as stainless as 440C”.

I would imagine a couple catastrophic failures would be reason enough to stick with 3V.

Thanks but I have read that one and that’s where I got the information that Nathan feels 3V is tougher but 4V is more of interest to steel nuts. I wasn’t sure what he was talking about.

But there is a little more information in post 14 in thread titled EDC/EDC2. Nathan said he had some “sudden catastrophic failures” with 4V. I wonder what happened.

If that happened while chopping through cinder blocks or large nails, that might be fine for some. It would concern others if it happened while battoning through a pine knot. I would hope those who want to cut up a lot of cardboard have nothing to fear while using 4V.

Maybe this question belongs in the Ask Nathan a Question thread.
I'm not Nathan, but I recall him answering a similar query about the small batch of 4V LCs.

IIRC, yes, the 'catastrophic' failures were things like large chips in the edge, cracks (and possibly a breakage?), while testing 4V on things like hammering through nails and cinder blocks, not from 'normal' things like chopping wood or cutting cardboard.

He said for normal tasks like those, the 4V would hold its edge much better, and he routinely uses a 4V LC for things like that.

4V also isn't as corrosion resistant as his D3V, if that's a concern.

“4V also isn't as corrosion resistant as his D3V, if that's a concern.”

Living near the ocean makes that a huge concern. Thanks

“4V also isn't as corrosion resistant as his D3V, if that's a concern.”

Living near the ocean makes that a huge concern. Thanks
I'm not to far from the ocean and have steels that are much less corrosion resistant than 4v (1095,01,1084,L6,A2) and never had a reason/issue to be overly concerned. A little Mineral oil from time to time and no real issues.
I just got lucky and was able to pick up a EDC 1 in 4v and have zero concerns with corrosion resistance. For me 4v with better edge retention over 3v is why I chose it. On a side note, I much prefer the blade shape/larger palm swell/tad smaller size of gen 1. That spear point blade shape is just SEXY!
As an edc the pointier tip comes in more handy for me over the belly on the edc2 blade.
Once I have had it for a while and give it a good shake down, I'll revisit this post (most likely start a new thread as well) and update with how the corrosion resistance has held up. I do not plan to initially put any oil/protection on the blade for this reason.

While it’s easy to take care of various steels, it’s the huge quantity of steel that makes caring for everything a challenge. I have a much easier time of it if the steel can be kept in the house but everything outside needs to be watched and oiled frequently. I’ve made it a habit to look around for things needing a fresh coat of oil whenever going into my shed. I’ve resorted to an application of a light coat of grease for tool I don’t use very often. I need a wire brush, steel wool and high temperature paint on powered equipment.

That’s probably why we have H2 steel for some applications. It just makes life a little easier when there’s moisture and salt in the air!

Back