edge angle for CS Gurkha Kukri

With respect to the CS Gurkha Kukri (not the machete but the model in O-1 steel), what is the edge angle from the factory? I could not find it on the web site. Thanks.

Last edited:
Bump... CS Moderator???

I just used my Wicked Edge sharpener to work on my SK5 Gurkha Kukri this morning and with the aid of a sharpie marker I came up with 25 degrees for the edge angle. Anything less left marker at the tip but 25 degrees seemed right on and didn't remove too much metal or shrink the edge area, which is what happens when you go too far.

I would also appreciate some input from CS on this. Is the San Mai or O-1 the same angel? It would be great to get the correct angles for all the three!

Thanks,
Bill
Virginia

Bill, for some reason I believe the SMIII is factory convexed. Thanks for the info on the angle of the carbon model. Mine has only needed steeling and stropping so far. It seems a good angle for efficiency and strength.

The SMIII Trail Master and Recon Scout were convexed, but I'm not totally sure about the Kukri. 25-30* per side seems pretty common for CS's thick fixed blades with secondary bevels. I think most should fall somewhere within this range.

edit: From CS's FAQ section:

What Angle are Cold Steel knives sharpened?

This question assumes that you are interested in resharpening a Cold Steel knife. Our knives run a wide range of materials, grinds, types of edge and dimensions, depending on the size, shape and ultimate purpose of the knife. So there is no single edge bevel angle we can recommend. For example actual measured cantle angles for various model Tantos are 25.79°, 30.99° and 28.157°. We suggest that you use whatever angle most closely matches the one already established on the original factory edge. Generally, we recommend 23° to 25° as a guiding standard. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. The 25 degrees put a nice working edge on it. It really was in good shape but I never did any more than strop or touch ups here and there. It is amazing how long the factory edge lasted!

Bill

Back