Edge holding ability D2 vs S30V

I am going to work with steal that are known for edge holding
from what I have read and from personal us D2 holds and edge better
than any steel I have used.I have not made any with D2 but have some from other makers and the edge holding is second to none at 61 RC.
The biggest part of my knives are going to be used.I am wondering
about s30v and 440v for edge holding.I know S30v is more stainless
and 440v is a bear on belts.I would like to hear from other makers
and what there personal choice is when is comes to an edge and the ability to hold one.
Thanks.

I just finished putting a tactical knife on the ckd makers sales.This was my first but, not the last.I was always told that it was the ugliest cuttings steel on earth.I carry one everyday now made of D2. My.02 cents worth Robert Washburn abs journeyman smith

Over the years, I have heard various people make that same statement. "D2 takes a lousy edge and holds it forever". What the fug does that mean? In my humble opinion, D2 is some great stuff! I can get D2 very sharp fairly easily and it just keeps on cuttin and a cuttin.

I own a knife made by Mike Drost and it is D2 I have skinned 3 deer and have not had to touch it up,it has out cut every knife I own
and they are ATS 34 and 440c, it cuts circles around them.Bob Doizer
cut be wrong!I am not into mirror finish so finish is not a problem

My understanding is that D2 has a "toothier" edge than some alloys, due to a larger/less refined grain structure, would be my guess. But it's also able to be well hardened and while ti's not technically a "fine" edge, will hold that edge for a long time. Personally, I like a somewhat toothy edge. Seems to be best for all around cutting, least, the cutting I do.

Hi Nathan,
I made my first knife of D2 about 12 yrs ago, and I thought I
had died and gone to heaven. I had Paul Bos heat treat the
blades at HRC 60-61. The edge holding was, to me, truely
great. My son and friends would process many deer before
needing to sharpen. I now have used A2, not as good as D2,
CPM 3V, even better than D2, but harder to sharpen. I now
have pieces of CPM S90V and S30V to make knives to try.
I have been thinking lately, as I struggle to find the time
to work on knives, that D2 is so user friendly, that I might
end up coming full circle and go back to D2. I don't think
D2 rusts as easily as some people think, and with the use of aluminum oxide, it takes a very sharp edge and holds it a long,
long time. D2 is getting more and more popular, thanks to
Dr. D2.

Don and others thanks for all the input.I want to get a steel and stick with it,and know it's work ability in and out and it high points and low points.Now if I could find a place besides the major knife suppliers that has precision ground stock,Any one know a place were to purchase it?:)Bob Doizer has had a very big impact of D2 and it's working ability,Someone who has been in the knife making world that long must know a thing or two about it.

Speaking of D2- Do you get it annealed first? I've heard that it's a bear to grind because of the vanadium in it. I got a 16' x 4" x .25" grader blade of it for $20.00! At least I assume that it is D2- the consensus is that's what it's likely to be. It's harder than hades on my abrasive cutoff blades and just grinding it unannealed must be a chore. Can it be forged? I feel I should go back and get the remaining supply of grader blades at that price, but don't want to get a stockpile of material I can't readily use.
Thanks

Yes it should be annealed,as you said it is a bear to work with
Some folder makers grind there blades already HT,but that is after
the have profiled and drilled there holes.

Nathan- Do you buy your stock annealed or do you have to send it out for annealing and then send out again for heat treat? Do you heat treat your own?

Jantz supplies has it,I have not tried it yet but it will be the next steel I use. So far I have only used 440C.I am going to get precision
ground that is already annealed.There are alot of suppliers that have it in the annealed state,Jantz,Koval,Sheffied,Admiral,Precision ground stock cost a little more but it helps with fit and finish and cuts your time and belt cost,stripping the bark of steel is hard on belts.
The only people I would let HT my knives is Paul Bos or Dee Holder.
I will get him to HT the D2 for me to a 60 or 61 RC.I am looking forward to working with some.
:D

Better still... grind two nearly identical knives... one of D2 at Rc61 and another of S30V at Rc61. Test them both for edge holding and toughness and corrosion resistance and let us know what you think.

Better even MO better, do a third in 3V and compare. 3V at Rc61 should beat D2 in every category except corrosion resistance.

SV does hold an edge but if is not that corrosin resistance it would
render itself useless for a hard working knife,D2 haveing 12% chrome
will hold up under toucher conditions.that is reason enough for me to stay away from it.I have not worked with SV but I hear it is hard on belts and does not take the best finish.But to each there own!
I am just looking for as much info on D2 that I can learn so I will know it goods and bads.

Back