EDM heat treated blade

Is it possible to EDM or even grind a new blade shape or profile from an existing heat treated blade.i had a custom chopper made from 5160 I wish it were different or I can make a scaled down version cut out of the blade,if it can be done with our screwing it up? Thank you for your time.

It would have to be re-ground and re-heat treated after the EDM re-sghaping. .

Thank you Stacy. I tried researching for that but couldn't get enough information for me to figure it out. So like, how many times can a piece of 5160 get heat treated?and is it worth it? $$$ Or just get someone to build the blade I want? Thank you for your time.

If your 5160 chopper is a complete knife with handles, then I'd get a new knife. In order to make a new knife from your current complete knife the handles would be broken off and the blade treated as a billet. It will be more work and cost more to make a new knife from the current knife then from a new billet.

How many times can a 5160 (or any hi-carbon blade) be HT'd? Quite a number of times. By annealing to relax the steel it's ready to HT again as fresh steel. The only concern is the decarb layer that forms each HT cycle, and that's only a few thou each time with proper anti-scale coating.

I can pull the handle myself. But you are probably right about the new billet anyway . I really do like the blade for what it is. It's just " I wish that was different" now!! The blade was made exactly how I wanted it made! Ugh!! Trying to get the grail blades built and get rid of all the "almost perfect" ones! Thank you for your time.

Back