Elements won’t turn off on my HT oven…

Hi all! ive been using an old paragon glass fusing (i think) kiln that i put an inkbird PID on. Its been working fine, ive done at least a dozen blades in it so far. But this evening it had a short; one of the ceramic insulators on the back that the element exits through and connects to the power had worked its way loose and the element contacted the metal shell of kiln. i realized that this had happened to both sides of the element. Sparks flew, the elements went dead. the tail of the element where it had contacted the side wall had melted in half. I repaired it by adding a length of new kanthal wire to the old wire, re-twisting it and connected it to power, making sure all the ceramic insulators are snugged up tight again.
It works again, but the elements stay energized now, after the PID shouldnt be powering them. i set it to 1525 to austenitize an 80crv2 blade, but it just kept going... the PID is registering the correct temperature it seems, it was getting up to 1800+ when i checked to see if was to temperature yet. But even when the little light is off on the PID and on the SSD inside, the elements are still hot, and clearly energized when i open the door. There is no other visible damage anywhere in the system that i can see. it operating normally right before the short happened.
Does anyone have any ideas whats going on?

Well, after lots more investigation and checking everything with the Multimeter, i feel pretty sure that its just something fried inside the SSR. ill replace that and see if it fixes it.

Either the "control" function in the PID, or the SSR, is bad. Check the SSR first. Disconnect the low voltage DC wire from it and see what happens. The coils should not come on at all if the SSR is off. If the coils are off, then there is a constant voltage to the SSR which means the PID is fried.

Switching the ssr fixed the issue. I guess you’d call that failing “open”? Or I guess closed makes more sense for on actually… closed loop…

Last edited:
Back