Elite Knifemakers for Elite Warriors.

About a year ago I was talking to my mentor in the Firearms training world. a fella named Pat Goodale he owns a company called Practical Firearms Training. www.pgpft.com Pat is a retired Marine and we were discussing some knives that I had made for Blade show. The thought struck me that allot of the active duty enlisted Marines could not afford a knife from some of the top makers out there. I discussed it with Pat and asked him if he could set it up so some knife makers could donate some knives to a Marine combat unit. He has done it. I will not give the unit info out here as they are currently deployed but they have been deployed to numerous bad places over the last few years, these are tough men who do bad things to bad people. anyway the knives will be presented to the unit at the abs expo in San Antonio in Jan. http://absknifeexpo.com/

I wanted this to be from a group of makers who are considered "top" in the field hence the name "Elite" Knifemakers. anyway I was astounded by the guys who stepped up to do this here is the list. The only stipulation was that I wanted these gentleman to build what they thought was the "ulitmate" combat knife.
Jim Rodebaugh
Shane Taylor
Michael Vagnino
Ray Rybar
Bill Burke
Jason Knight
Joe Keesler
Jim Batson
Steve Dunn
David Lisch
Henry Torres
Rick Eaton
Harvey Dean
Adam Desrosiers
J.W. Randall
E. Scott McGhee
Tom Ferry

I want to thank these gentleman, and would like to encourage everyone to thank them as well.

Last edited:
Always great to see makers helping out soldiers.

My cousin was about to deploy to Afganistan a while ago, and he went with a donated Busse and custom sheath (though the Busse was not custom).

Sure warms the heart. He sent back pics wearing the knife while running a .50 cal on a turret doing convoy protection.

What an AWESOME idea and amazing list of makers.

Can't wait to see some pictures on how these turn out.

Thanks for putting this together my friend and what a roster of superlative makers you have enlisted....I'm sure there are going to be some amazing pieces. :cool:

MANY thanks to one and all!

Great thing to do Eric. I assume there is a Fritz on the list. If not I think your knives would fit in very nicely.
Gary

Such an excellent idea.

Thanks to the makers for helping arm our service men.

Great group and anxious to see what they all come up with

No kidding. I'd pay a subscription charge just to see the photos.

Great idea and so uplifting to see broad participation from such a gifted group of makers. :thumbup:

That's a list of some pretty heavy names. The thought of Marines "doing bad things to bad people" really makes me smile. Good job!

The title of the thread made me laugh. I expected to read a bunch of rhetoric from the armchair commando brigade. :)

Instead it's a truly uplifting show of support for our troops. Thanks to you, and to some outstanding knifemakers.

This is really great. I expect some awesome and innovative designs will come out of this - everyone wins. Well except the aforementioned "bad people" :)
Such a good thing of you to do - well done.

Great idea - one of my closest friends just finished his Commando training and I'm getting him a custom made. Got to support the warriors out there.
Looking forward to see how this works out.

Thank you, Erik. And thank you to the other selfless makers who donated their time, energy, and talent to help those "rough men who stand ready . . ." :thumbup:

Good to see other knifemakers helping support our troops. They do an awful dirty job, and it's a darn good thing that there are folks out there willing to do it.

Also, I'm reeeeeeeeaaaaaaally looking forward to the pictures of all of these. :D

A great big thanks to the list of class guys willing to help out our best guys . There is always a cold beer waiting for ya all at my place . THANK YOU . Wild Bill

that is a freakin crazy list! Man, there is gonna be some stellar blades come out of this. I really look forward to seeing them and comparing them to each other. A group shot, with all the makers, would be an amazing thing to see. And in San Antonio- there is a shitload of win here.

Super idea Erik!!! Add me to the list of guys REALLY HOPING to see some photos!!!

Good on 'ya Erik. :) :thumbup:

Back