Email from Nepal asking us for help. Please read.

Here's an email that was waiting for me this AM when I opened up shop. I don't know who the senders are or how they found me but here is what they had to say:
==========================================Subj: Please help Nepal from maoists terrorist
Date: 4/11/02 5:36:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time
To: himimp@aol.com

Help Nepal from Maoists terrorist

Maoists terrorist attack and kill hundreds of our
police, Army, teachers and public officials and caused
great damage and destruction, hurt business,
development and affected tourism industry.

The terrorist?s targets are local bureaucrats,
government officials and politicians, policeman and
police stations. Army, teachers, Banks. Most of our
people and children are affected by the terrorist
and they are feeling insecure both economically and
psychologically. More than a thousands of our locals
have already fled their home for the capital for
fear of terrorist.

Terrorist Maoists are no different from Peru's
Shining Path rebels, the Philippines' Abu Sayyaf
Muslim separatist group, Cambodia's Khmer Rouge or the
al-Qaida terrorist network.

With the State of Emergency extended by another three
months, the security forces have been doing their part
to rout the terrorists but fighting against terrorism,
Nepal urgently needs military equipment, because of
geographical reason, finding a terrorist in the cave
and jungle is really difficult.

Terrorist are looting our money and sending there
children to the European countries, buying a house
in Katmandu and they have billions of rupees in the
bank.

Terrorist has links with a worldwide network of
communist guerrilla and terrorist groups including
Maoist communist Center, operating in the Indian
State of Bihar, and with the Peoples War Group,
active in other Indian states Maoists rebels are
believed to have obtained a large amount of
sophisticated weapons from India?s People?s War Group.
Terrorists are trying to force a one-party system
with the help of gun in place of democracy on the
people.

Nepal can not be a republic; the King and democracy
are highly respected and their position is immensely
secure. Monarchy in Nepal has taken different forms
over three hundred thirty three years of history after
Prithvi Narayan Shah, the Great King, unified the
kingdom of Nepal on September 25, 1768.

Rita, Sadhana, Purnima, Sova.

========================================

I'm going to send a copy of this email to Nevada senators & representatives. I heard from a contact with ties to the Pentagon that there was actually some discussion in Washington about sending some Special Forces folks to Nepal for training purposes. That and some financial help might turn the tide. Maybe some emails from us can help get this thinking turned into reality. If our president means what he says about the war on terrorism then why not?

Any ideas from the experts, comments, suggestions are most welcome

I thought the bit about looting the money and ruining the country while they (the terrorists) send their children to European countries telling and disgusting, reminding me of politicians here sending their children to private school.

The time for revolution is when the people are behind you. Anything else is violence, and violence against civilians is murder.

Seems as if it is happening all over the world.

munk

After all of the Senators and Congressmen that one can think of to contact. Do not forget that there are many persons running for office this year and they are going to want to make a name for themselves. It looks like we need all the help we can gather. God Bless!!!

Semper Fi!!!!

I will try to spread the word around in Fl. Not only are there terrorists in the middle east but across many nations. I can only pray things will get better.:(

Originally posted by Bill Martino

I'm going to send a copy of this email to Nevada senators & representatives. I heard from a contact with ties to the Pentagon that there was actually some discussion in Washington about sending some Special Forces folks to Nepal for training purposes. That and some financial help might turn the tide. Maybe some emails from us can help get this thinking turned into reality. If our president means what he says about the war on terrorism then why not?

Any ideas from the experts, comments, suggestions are most welcome

I think it would be good to put together an letter utilising aspect of the anonymous Nepal-email, but perhaps tidy it up and add some things to it? For instance, mention the 'war on terrorism' (focussing on Nepal rather than Iraq would be good - I'm hoping perhaps that Blair has triggered his fall from power by backing Bush on Iraq, but I digress) - and I think Gurkhas mightn't be a bad thing to mention too - maybe a bit about the role Gurkhas have played in defending 'the free world'?

I fear the president, not unlike most politicians, is serious about getting re-elected; if he thinks a 'war on terrorism' increases his chances, then that's what he'll do (I'm not trying to be cynical, just realistic):

The key would be not only to communicate the plight of Nepal to the politicians (most of whom probably don't care, beyond what implications it has for their political careers), but to the populace at large. That is, the politicians need to have a reason for action - which they won't unless there's some amount of demand from the populace for action.

Just my thoughts - unfortunately, I believe that in this sort of case one must be highly cognisant of the Machiavellean ethos of modern politics, and play upon it accordingly. Make it an issue for the populace, who don't like to think too hard about things but likes them to be obvious (e.g. World Trade Centre is bombed, then retaliate), and it become a political issue.

Support from the Indian populace of the USA (and the UK?) might be a logical place to look for support too.

Another thought - the maoist are backed by certain interested parties in China (ultimately), some factions of which want to domain south asia - perhaps there's a 'red scare' twist one can throw in too?

--B.

on the topic of 'leading the masses', what about petitioning television news programmes to provide more coverage/report on events in Nepal?

B.

I think any communication to an elected official on this matter should emphasize terrorism is not just a muslim thing. This might take some pressure off the US in general and give a needed appearence of even handedness. We don't like terrorists; any terrorists.

munk

My wife Anne worked for the Gerogia State Senate for 13.5 years. I have contributed to several campaigns in both monetary and personal support of candidates.

She and I will forward the email along with a personal note to some people who might be able to do something about this horrific situation!

With the tragic events we personally have suffered on 9/11, this is the time for Americans to do something about these Maoist anarchists.

They have no decent creed nor aims beyond destruction of the established order and birng in anarchy. We need to do something proactive about this and do it now!

I am getting out my list.

Bill Marsh

I've known about this for about a month now. It's not just in Nepal either. Would this suprise anyone if I told you this is backed by China? Anyway, take my word for it, our government knows about it and is trying to figure out the best way to help. Either way, I have forwarded this to my fellow Mississippians in DC, especially Gene Taylor and Trent Lott. Damn communist. Why can't they see that it doesn't work? Hell, the people that INVENTED IT got rid of it for christ sakes. Of course, never said there weren't stupid people in the world.

Ben

I personally watched the Russian and Chinese Communists at work in Nepal. The Russians gave more money but the Chinese spent both money and labor much more effectively. I bitched to the US Embassy and Washington that if we were there to win the minds and hearts of the people we were getting beat up very badly by both Russian and Chinese efforts and should mend our ways which were working poorly or not at all. Nobody cared to listen. What does a first hand witness married to a Nepali and living with Nepalis know about anything going on in Nepal? The folks in Washington who have never been there, know nothing about the place and its people always know best.

An article inthe Nepal News announced the Nepali Foreign Minister's trip to the US and UK, seeking military and financial aid. I e-mailed Sen McConnell, asking if he could help in any way. I received a reply to the effect that he considered Nepal an ally, and would try to contact the FM during his visit. Nepal News yeaterday said the FM has returned home, and that a US delegation is being formed (military included) to evaluate their needs. Hopefully, this will result in some medicine that goes to the sore, and not just to the nearest pocket. The Nepali CIAA, charged with investigation corruption, is still centered around officials who have presented phony school diplomas. SHEESH!! They have to clean up their act, or 10 divisions wouldn't help their situation. With a good, firm stand by the King, useful aid, and chopping crooked necks along with Maoist necks, Nepal could just weather this, and come out ahead for a change.

It's the mid level officials that create the problem -- most of them are crooks. The guy at the top can be honest but if he's got a bunch of crooks working for him it doesn't matter. And this is one of the things that absolutely must be corrected if Nepal is to stand a chance of getting out of the present situation into a better one.

I thought about this a long time ago. I really wish there was more coverage in the US news media. I have looked on the AP wire while at work for information on the Maoist rebles and the Nepali situation. ... nada!

This sort of thing would make a great in-depth story if journalists had access. SOMEBODY should be reporting on it at least. But, with all the focus on Afganistan and the Middle East, I doubt it'll get any attention. ...

I'll try to get a letter sent off to whomever I can from SD. ... I don't know how interested Daschle will be, but John Thune (House-R) must might. He is currently running for re-election. .. but against Tim Johnson (Senate-D) in the Senate. ... the Republican party wants to get him into the Senate instead of the House to combat Daschle's influence.

He might be the best one for me to contact. I've met him before, and he's a pretty decent guy too. That always helps some. ...

Alan

It is good if you guys are able to help somehow. I'm surprised that the Brits are not doing something about it, to me it seems that they owe quite a lot to Nepal.
One of my security guards have been practically forced to leave his house in the hands of the Maoists, he is lucky enough to have the money to take care of his family and another place where to go.
Fausto

I had an idea last night. Why not post the email about the plight of Nepal on several current events forums on the net? About.com has a Civil Liberties forum and a Current Events forum where many more people would be exposed to this situation. I apologize; I've been on the net about 9 months now, have a mongrel machine that does not work right and I cannot cut and paste links. I've tried. Otherwise I would have brought your email there. (with your permission.)

I also wondered if the email should not be sent, along with a note, to the Office of Homeland Security?

The sickest feeling is knowing in a world of pain Nepal may not get the breakthrough it needs for the attention span of the US and world arena. Gotta get the spotlight.

munk

Good ideas and many thanks.

The bit about the Maoist kids getting educated in Europe and Maoists buying property in Kathmandu tells you what kind of replacement government they'd make. Always the same story. Bad replaced with worse.

Example: Remember the French businessman who finally dumped his ship's cargo into the bay rather than meet the demands of a corrupt goernment regarding importation of his products? This happened long after Nam had been "liberated."

The bit about the Maoist kids getting educated in Europe and Maoists buying property in Kathmandu tells you what kind of replacement government they'd make. Always the same story. Bad replaced with worse.
>>

The same story repeated endlessly. When we are young and in the moment, we fool ourselves with newness. The young want to fight for a good cause and change the world. This is good. We who were young must protect them from destroying the world. Those stupid maoists....young people are bent to bad will.

munk

Yes, unfortunately most (all?) revolutions simply change the names of those in power - even when revolutionaries start out idealistically, it seems by the time they achieve their objectives they have become corrupted by power. In the case of the Nepali Maoists - it doesn't seem that the 'revolution' has even started idealistically - bank-rolled by certain interested parties in China for whom Nepal in a stepping-stone, no doubt.

Any thoughts on producing a 'standard letter' on this issue (adapting the email) which would be more effective - could be posted on boards and sent to politicians & media.

--B.

Back