Emerson Commander, Pain to sharpen

I just took another look at the commander. I really like the little hook that catches your panta and aid in opening the blade. But there is another issue. I think that most people will not be able to sharpen the blade themselves. That reverse curve, I do not see how you are able to sharpen that using a flat stone. The only way I see, a round rod!?

Any comments?

Are you guys at emerson going to put that pant hook geature on any other knife?

------------------
sirgrumps@yahoo.com

Remember the lost of one's right does not happen overnight, but incrementally over time.

A Spyderco Sharpmaker is an outstanding investment. Get the 204. There is nothing with an edge that it can't sharpen. It is the best sharpening system I've ever encountered and well worth the money you put out for it. The Commander doesn't stand a chance against it. I have many recurved blades and this is the only way to go for sharpening them.
Go for it.

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.

The Sharpmaker defeats the nasty recurve on the Commander no problem. The trick is to have the 204 Sharpmaker because it has a 30 degree setting (30 works better because the commander has a V-grind, but sharpened only on one side). Using the 30 degree setting, and the rods turned so you're using the edges not the flats, sharpen only the ground edge. When you're done, LIGHTLY stroke the burr off the unground side. DO NOT sharpen the unground side! Using this method it's no problem to keep a Commander razor sharp. I can't take credit for this method though-Thank you Dexter
wink.gif

------------------
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n"
John Milton
There are only two types of people; those who understand this, and those who think they do.

Back