Emerson Commanders

I especially like the wave feature on top of my Commander's blade as it allows me to present the knife faster than any other folder I know of.

I have two complaints so far after evaluating two different commanders (one plainedge and one comboedge).
The first is that after using both of the knives for less than 3 days the blade bolt (which is adjustable) loosened to the point where the blade was extremely wobbly and felt like it was ready to fly off. I corrected this problem by re-tightening the bolt. I have to re-tighten the blade bolt often to keep it from becoming to loose.
Second, this is a result of the first problem, the left side of the blade rubs against the liner lock when opening because of the sloppiness caused by the loose blade bolt. Even when the blade bolt is tight the blade sometimes rubs against the liner lock when opening with the thumb disk method due to the fact that there is a great amount of flex/play, probably from the spacers/bushings on either side of the blade at the blade bolt juncture.
Has any other Commander owners experienced these problems?

------------------

Not me. I bought my Commander from a fellow Forumite, and it is the perfect example of quality. The blade is like silk when opening, but the pivot screw is tight. No rubbing on the liners, and best of all, the linerlock is centered perfectly on the blade. I have absolutely NO complaints. I love this knife!!

------------------
"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm."
RFrost5746@excite.com or Robert_Frost@risknetworldwide.com

I picked one up off the forums from another member too and I'm a completely satisfied customer. I haven't had a problem of the blade rubbing the liners. I also haven't experienced excessive flex or play in the blade. The pivot screw on mine would also loosen a bit after a weekend of opening and closing the blade. I put a couple of drops of Loc-tite on the pivot screw, replaced and tightened it. It still opens as smoothly and quickly as before but the pivot screw has not loosened a bit since then. I'm glad I haven't ran into these problems because this knife has became one of my favorites. Good luck on sorting out the problems with yours. If you don't mind, keep us posted on the progress.

[This message has been edited by V-1 (edited 01-14-2000).]

I've had mine over a year with no complaints. It remains my #1 daily carry choice. I have however read enough complaints for other Forum members to take their experience seriously. If I buy another Commander (I'd like a lefty with satin blade) I think I'll buy in only after personal inspection.

------------------
Life is a journey, not a guided tour -- GO ARMED!
-->BLADE

Back