Emerson Fit and Finish Addendum

Maybe Mr. Emerson's post was trying to say that the overall F&F are not as important as the fact that these tools get the job done and that certain professionals enjoy using them regardless of said F&F , I mean when it comes down to it the only folks concerned with F&F are folks who have thwe time to worry about it in the first place , and trust me ! I am not trying to diss anyone... so relax you tough guys.

Not putting typed words into anyone's fingers or nothin. :)

I see everyone's point ( including Mr. Emerson's! ) and I do agree at a certain price one expects certain... niceties... and I'll will leave that right where it is.

Tostig

I'm not sure what to say about all this. Those who know me know how much I trust Emerson and his product line. I've posted my opinion on the F & F in the other thread and don't feel like going over it again. I will say that good materials cost more and you are paying for the design work. I've plenty of "pretty shiny" knives and they have their place, but sometimes you don't want a "pretty shiny" anything. I recall clearly taking steel wool and flat black paint to a lot of gear I need to carry and didn't want seen, especially at night when I was most likely to be using it. I still have a Gerber Mark I and a Mark II (from the 70's) that are totally black from when I needed to carry them. I would have loved to have had Emerson's to carry, but they didn't exist yet.

Irregardless of the various debates, i'd be concerned that the reputation of the product may eventually outshine the product. Word-of-mouth and reputation only go so far, especially if the product's quality diminishes.

Irregardless of the various debates, i'd be concerned that the reputation of the product may eventually outshine the product. Word-of-mouth and reputation only go so far, especially if the product's quality diminishes.

Lol....

Why is everyone up in arms about this? Emerson makes his knives a certain way, and they both fetch a top dollar and sell quickly. If you buy one and don't like it, return it or sell it on here; someone will buy it. Being in the military, I think it's cool that his company has a really strong tie to the military. But, I think it's sad that people will attack him on a public forum just to make a point or try to make a fool of him.

Why is everyone up in arms about this? Emerson makes his knives a certain way, and they both fetch a top dollar and sell quickly. If you buy one and don't like it, return it or sell it on here; someone will buy it. Being in the military, I think it's cool that his company has a really strong tie to the military. But, I think it's sad that people will attack him on a public forum just to make a point or try to make a fool of him.

Agreed, it shows very poor form. It is like coming into a man's house party and loudly complaining about his job performance. I have only 5 EKI knives and I am still trying to wrap my head around the fit and finish issue that some people are worked up about. My question to them is, 'Do you actually use the knives'? If you did, you would discover that the f&f on the blades are as close to perfect as you are going to get. The blade is the business end and gets the most attention, naturally. The handles are very strong and comfortable. Isn't that what a knife handle should be? When I buy an Emerson, I expect comfort, dependability and performance. I have yet to be disappointed.

However might I ask; will you ever make some more framelock knives like the HD-7 and Comrade Folder? If the prices were reasonable I sure as hell would pick up a couple.

Mr.Emerson, i believe this is a very good idea, that it would take your knives up to another level. I think that they would be very popular.

And to the people questioning security threats to the US, comming from US Army Intelligence, if you dont know what your talking about keep your mouth shut.

I tried to make a simple point, I don't care what dogs or knives the Seals used on these missions. I myself want something good and don't look at what the military uses.

For some this may be a high quality reference, for me this isn't the reason to make me go and purchase an Emerson knife. I am also not buying products because certain celebreties use them. Fit and finish is what I like in a knife and so far, from what I've seen and read from many knowledgeable and experienced knife enthousiasts is the fact that they are not happy with the f&f on these knives. This was the topic of the original thread.

Noone is attacking him. The "fit and finish" issue is Mr. Emerson's, not our's. We just want him to be honest and forthright with those on this forum that have issues with his product.

I tried to make a simple point, I don't care what dogs or knives the Seals used on these missions. I myself want something good and don't look at what the military uses.

For some this may be a high quality reference, for me this isn't the reason to make me go and purchase an Emerson knife. I am also not buying products because certain celebreties use them. Fit and finish is what I like in a knife and so far, from what I've seen and read from many knowledgeable and experienced knife enthousiasts is the fact that they are not happy with the f&f on these knives. This was the topic of the original thread.

I get that and I feel much the same just expecting a bit more from who I buy from for the money spent. However, Ernest has established the finish on his knives as is as part of the Emerson 'persona' and is not interested in changing that. So, guys wanting a higher finish from EKI know his answer and reasons as well as, much more now. I'd say just deal with it in the way we each need to or accept it for what it is. It is what it is, end of story.

STR

Don't like it, don't buy it. No one cares if you do or not.

Don't like it, don't buy it. No one cares if you do or not.

The other half of the problem is, there are people who bought and received knives that did not meet their expectations for "hard use," let alone fit and finish, before even knowing about these issues. I don't mind fit and finish personally (burn marks, rough liners), but I'd like a knife that has a lock that doesn't develop severe blade play/overtravel after a year of use. Nor should the pivot require "break in" out of the box.

That's not a whole lot to ask for, considering they've already cut costs in the fit and finish department and by using 300 series SS in the nonlocking liner instead of Ti in post 2007 knives.

Last edited:
Emerson knives are not for everyone. Those who carry and use EKI knives (myself included) feel that these knives will do whatever you need them to do. Some people don't like the knives but also want to prove that they are not good knives.

Listen, it's not gonna happen. Too many people know these knives, use them and love them and will not be swayed by the arguments about fit and finish, sticky locks etc.
I've had Emersons with sticky locks, just open them up and close them a few times and they smooth out over time and with use. Something about that process that makes the knives become "old friends", or so it seems to me.

Emerson himself was clear about the fit and finish issue, it is what it is. I like the F&F of the knives, and others don't. What's the big deal?

Do you actually read threads, or just post for the sake of posting?
What is not "honest and forthright" about his statements concerning fit and finish?

Yeah, I read a thread now and then. What makes you think I was addressing his initial post with the one you quoted? Maybe it's you who needs to go back and read the thread. Try and keep up. I don't take issue with the F&F of his knives, I really don't care. His marketing is aimed at a customer base to which I don't belong. I have some great knives that aren't finished that well, one being a Lonewolf T2 that is among my favorites. What I take issue with is his condescending attitude and dismissal of HIS customers who do have issues, and also his lack of respect for this community. I'de invite him to GTFO, but he won't do that because I'm sure BF.c sells him alot of knives.

I'll echo what others have said, in that if the quality, FF, etc are not what you'd like then voice your opinion with your wallets.

I personally don't agree with a lot of Mr. Emerson's politics. But I do admire him in terms of an entrepreneur,innovator, athlete, and family man . My CQC7 has never failed me (that being said I don't jump out of planes or de-activate sentry's...the biggest mission to date was putting down sod on my lawn) and I've never had issue with the FF either. I was able to buy mine at a reasonable price online and have no reason to question the quality behind the build.

I also understand Mr. Emerson's response on this forum. What else would you expect when you call someone out? Any one of us would stand up to defend our position and I believe he's done so in a far more controlled manner than most would considering the vitriol expressed here.

I'm proud to have owned his products, and trust them for what I use them for 100%.

At least Emerson's telling us up front about the fit and finish thing.
I don't care who does or doesn't carry them at all, but I do appreciate having the manufacturing philosophy up front so we can then make an informed knife buying decision.:)

What I take issue with is his condescending attitude and dismissal of HIS customers who do have issues, and also his lack of respect for this community. I'de invite him to GTFO, but he won't do that because I'm sure BF.c sells him alot of knives.
- Emerson will fix any knife that has functionality problems. He doesn't consider "rough" fit and finish to affect functionality. You can find numerous threads where Emerson has repaired knives with liner locks that drifted too far, etc.

- Emerson will fix any knife that has functionality problems. He doesn't consider "rough" fit and finish to affect functionality. You can find numerous threads where Emerson has repaired knives with liner locks that drifted too far, etc.

Now you see, here is an exammple of "functionality = fit." If a liner lock goes beyond the X%, they'll fix it. If "they" upheld some decent standards in the first place, that wouldn't have happened. But that is neither here nor there concerning my argument. He is behaving like a royal bastard concerning my brethren of Bladeforums.com, and you (EKI fanboys) don't care what it's doing to the community. Perhaps because you have no sense of community[speculation]. As long as the owner of the company you have blindly supported speaks here, you will fall in line. Swear alegiance to the flag, whatever flag they offer. Holy crap! was that a Mike and the Mechanics reference?

edit: I would like to appologize for my tone in this post. It is not the way I try to behave and is neither productive or welcome.

Last edited:
Back