Emerson Fixed Blades

I am interested in the history and lineage of Emerson's fixed blades, i.e. SPECWAR, Phaser, etc. It seems that knife publications never really covered the fixed blades as much as the folders. Does anyone have a handle on this information? Thanks guys.

This is a story I heard back when this forum was on Knifeforums. It was concerning the origin of the Vindicator fixed blade. Several years ago, Ty Stratford was doing a video for either Vunak or Cruse on knife use and at one point in the video there is a demonstation of a florette technique on a hanging side of beef. Earlier that day, Emerson had brought in just the blade (no handle slabs) of his newest creation, a chisel ground, scary sharp knife that was mean and all business.

The knife had not been named then and earned another name which I will not mention here after it split the beef open quite readily.

In the credits of the video the knife and I believe Emerson's name are listed.

Hope this helps,

Jason Yang

I agree that his fixed blades haven't recieved enough attention in the knife journals. I am more interested in the fixed blades than I am in the folders, although I am interested in all of his designs, and would welcome any information about them.

Fenris's explanation is correct. I will illuminate the actual name for historical sake and because to my knowledge most people on this Forum site are mature and understand
the nature of things. The name was Vaginator
which was changed for obvious reasons to Vindicator. I own a Vindicator, Phaser, Bodygaurd, Trivector, Carraci Dagger, Tanto neck knife (LRG.)all are awesome and fixed blades. SpecWar was a logo and name given to
the "Series" of Custom fixed Blades as well as Custom Folders.

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

[This message has been edited by Tamishigiri (edited 06 October 1999).]

Tamishigiri:
What is your opinion of the Emerson-designed Timberline Specwar? I own one (that I'm trying to sell), and would like to hear your thoughts. How does it compare to Ernie's custom fixed blades (if at all)? Thanks!

------------------
"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm."
RFrost5746@aol.com or Robert_Frost@ars.aon.com

Rfrost, As you know the Timberline SpecWar
is a great knife. But as you are aware it is a "Production" knife. It's design was derived from Emerson's custom Trivector which is one of my favorite Emerson custom's.
It is what it is... and as such a very good economical (value)survival/utility/fighting/ ? knife. As you are probably aware there are some undesirable qualities regarding the grip whem your hand is sweaty, bloody, wet etc. which present a problem w/ regards to purchase or indexing.Weapon impact or shock impact could be problematic. Hope that has been of some help for what it's worth.

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

[This message has been edited by Tamishigiri (edited 07 October 1999).]

Back