Emerson "wave" opener legality? Also Spyderco and Cold Steel

I checked the archives and the wave opener feature is a no-go in NY and CA, but what about this pocket friction catch openers in other states? I live in Florida. I have a Spyderco (royalties to Ernie) wave coming this week and I'm curious. I've seen Cold Steel with a variation as well.

There's nothing illegal about waved knives here in California.

I don't know what "archives" you are relying on, but I would recommend reading the actual state knife laws for the most accurate information. Here's an official link to California's state knife laws http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes.xhtml

Click on "Penal Code" at the bottom of the middle column, then search for any knife related term you wish.

There's nothing illegal about waved knives here in California.

I don't know what "archives" you are relying on, but I would recommend reading the actual state knife laws for the most accurate information. Here's an official link to California's state knife laws http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes.xhtml

Click on "Penal Code" at the bottom of the middle column, then search for any knife related term you wish.

This ^^^^

The Wave is legal in CA.

If it's legal in CA then I would think it is legal in FL.
Never make assumptions regarding the law. You might have a lot to lose if your assumptions are wrong.

California and Florida are two completely separate states with their own sets of laws. And then of course there are all the various local county and city laws. If you live in Florida, it's definitely a good idea to know the specifics of both the Florida state knife laws, as well as all of the local knife laws of any city or county you are living in or might visit.

Never make assumptions regarding the law. You might have a lot to lose if your assumptions are wrong.

California and Florida are two completely separate states with their own sets of laws. And then of course there are all the various local county and city laws. If you live in Florida, it's definitely a good idea to know the specifics of both the Florida state knife laws, as well as all of the local knife laws of any city or county you are living in or might visit.

Very good advice. :thumbup:

Actually, the wave is perfectly legal in New York state. If you carry it into the city of no fun things allowed you might have an issue, but beyond that, not really. I carry an Emerson journeyman every day.

I don't believe the wave is illegal anywhere in the US. The above mentioned issue with NYC is that basically DA Vance decided about 3 years ago that any folding knife that locks is a "gravity knife", which is generally prohibited in NY state. Unfortunately, a judge in NYS issued a ruling around that time that was so far from technically accurate that it's frightening, the gist of it was basically that any locking folder is a "gravity knife", so it provides case law to support the NYC actions.

Another issue with the wave is that to use it you basically have to have the knife clipped on your pocket. In NYC, a clipped knife will get you arrested for brandishing a deadly weapon. That leads to a visit to Rikers and some time spent trying not to end up the little spoon. Amusingly, in NYC you can carry a concealed fixed blade up to 4".

I don't believe the wave is illegal anywhere in the US. The above mentioned issue with NYC is that basically DA Vance decided about 3 years ago that any folding knife that locks is a "gravity knife", which is generally prohibited in NY state. Unfortunately, a judge in NYS issued a ruling around that time that was so far from technically accurate that it's frightening, the gist of it was basically that any locking folder is a "gravity knife", so it provides case law to support the NYC actions.

Another issue with the wave is that to use it you basically have to have the knife clipped on your pocket. In NYC, a clipped knife will get you arrested for brandishing a deadly weapon. That leads to a visit to Rikers and some time spent trying not to end up the little spoon. Amusingly, in NYC you can carry a concealed fixed blade up to 4".

It is wonderful that NYC has all these law to stop crime, and the Crime Rate in the Big Apple is ZERO. THANKS TO THE WISE LAWMAKER. Crime is so low in the Big Apple Rikers Island is now a museum.

It is wonderful that NYC has all these law to stop crime, and the Crime Rate in the Big Apple is ZERO. THANKS TO THE WISE LAWMAKER. Crime is so low in the Big Apple Rikers Island is now a museum.

NYC actually is a very safe city overall based on crime RATE (crime type per 100K residents). However, there is a huge variance between parts of the city. There's very little crime in places like Staten Island and far flung areas like Far Rockaway or Brighton Beach (not counting Russian mob) or heavily patrolled and wealthy areas like Lower/Midtown Manhattan. Other areas like Harlem (duh) and Jamaica Queens are a different story.

Back