End of Watch

S&W knives are pathetic, but most people dont know the difference.
They should stick to what they do best...firearms.
Cant wait to see "End of Watch".

I noticed it and went on Google and searched for a Spyderco Tactical knife (as he called it) and searched images and did not find that knife. Definitely not a Spyderco

I just don't get why they'd call it a Spyderco when it clearly isn't? They couldn't spend an extra $30-$100 on a knife; when the cost to make the movie is in the millions of dollars?

I saw it yesterday...great movie! If you liked the high-paced style of Training Day, you'll love End Of Watch. One of the best cop-buddy movies I've seen.

IT WAS NOT A SMITH AND WESSON!

The knife mistakenly referred to as a "Spyderco tactical knife" was not a Smith and Wesson. It was a Boker Jim Wagner with a fully serrated blade recurved tanto blade. In a few other scenes you can see that the other cop uses a cheap Smith and Wesson. But the first knife shown was a Boker, not a S&W. Just a heads up.

IT WAS NOT A SMITH AND WESSON!

The knife mistakenly referred to as a "Spyderco tactical knife" was not a Smith and Wesson. It was a Boker Jim Wagner with a fully serrated blade recurved tanto blade. In a few other scenes you can see that the other cop uses a cheap Smith and Wesson. But the first knife shown was a Boker, not a S&W. Just a heads up.

You sound pretty confident shouting it all over the interwebz :D

But its not correct. The Böker has the hole on the spine and lacks the square handle with a retractable glassbreaker.

As was mentioned in post 3, its a S&W First Responder Knife. It's also has the square handle and retractable glassbreaker shown in the movie.

smith-wesson-knives-first-response-knife-sw911b-assisted-opening-3149-p.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353655185333.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353655185333.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
found you guys on google, first post here.

I was able to get this picture to help with the discussion... This should solve it. I think you may be correct that it is the first responder but, this will help anyway.
What is the general reputation on these, are they a great first knife or should I look at something else. I realize I'm only wanting one now because of the movie, but once I get online there's always 100 other options out there.

http://s11.postimage.org/jo3as0wi9/socalled_spyderco.jpg
socalled_spyderco.jpg

Last edited:
found you guys on google, first post here.

I was able to get this picture to help with the discussion... This should solve it. I think you may be correct that it is the first responder but, this will help anyway.
What is the general reputation on these, are they a great first knife or should I look at something else. I realize I'm only wanting one now because of the movie, but once I get online there's always 100 other options out there.

Fixed the link for you
socalled_spyderco.jpg

Hello Ralph and welcome to Bladeforums.

The general consensus on S&W knives is, that they are very low quality and if you search around, you wont find anybody who recommends S&W. They use crap steel and their designs are too "tactical" with a emphasis on looks and NOT on function.

If you want that particular knife only because it was in "End Of Watch" and thats what makes you happy, then by all means get it. If you are looking for a serious resuce-tool to carry and use, then there are better models out there, for example the Benchmade 915 Triage, Gerber Hinderer Rescue and the Spyderco Assist to name a few.

It would be alot easier to help you though, if you mentioned what youre looking for a knife and what its intended use will be?

Despite the mistakes, I have to say, this movie made me choke up a bit in the end. First time. Man, that was a good film.

Just watched last night & i must say the movie was pretty good. I too wondered what knife was shown in the early locker room clip. Smith & Wesson First Response Rescue Knife, Serrated, Black Blade

Pretty sad they called it a Spyderco in the movie when it wasn't. Doesn't make sense.

Why?

There is no connection between the writers, the actors or the prop-master who supplies props.

Writers write the episode, usually months in advance.

Actor just reads the lines as scripted, usually after waking up at around 4AM.

Props Dept is told to provide a "knife" for the scene...

Now there is a person/dept. called "continuity", but that usually is reserved in maintaining correct character & plot lines.

I did my research and this is what I found. I went through the "gear display"scene and these are the mistakes and the actual gear.

1 Glock 19 is a Glock 22. If you pause the film you can clearly see the "22"on the frame. As for the smaller ammo, who knows. But LAPD switched to the .40 Glock a few years back.

2 The knife is not a Syderco it is a Smith & Wesson First Response Assisted Opening Tactical Knife. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/48...34-stainless-steel-blade-polymer-handle-black

3 The 2 "Smith and Wesson"Handcuffs are actually 1 Pair of Smith and Wesson and 1 Pair "Peerless". Based on the double lock and location of the stamped text on the cuffs.

Great movie just minor discrepancies in the gear.

I thought that was the most realistic scene in the movie. I wrote it off as thought he bought one thing on Amazon and got something different.
"Look at my Spyderco."
"Dude that's a Speederco."
"Doh!"

Movie sucked.

Yes it did, and not just because someone messed up and put the wrong knife in the movie, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Watched the film last night, really enjoyed it but was pretty sad at the powerful ending! Was interested to hear Spyderco Tactical mentioned, oh well, its a Smith & Wesson in the end! Great film though!

At first I thought it was a Kershaw Offset, but it had an assisted opening blade so it wasn't an Offset, but then maybe I thought it could be a Kershaw Clash, but alas no spring loaded glass breaker! So I wondered what it was, then I realized that it looked a lot like my S&W Tactical so I started looking at S&W knives and it turned out to be a spot on match to the S&W SW911B First Responder model. S&W knives are more economical than your custom or high end tactical knives, but thus far I haven't had any fail on me and they get the job done so I can only say that they are decent for the price!

Back