1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Endura Old vs New.

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by arrowhd, Oct 24, 2011.

1. arrowhd

arrowhd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I had an Endura 4 and got rid of it. For some reason I just didn't care for it. This weekend I found what I believe is a Endura 3 at the antique market. This knife has been carried a ton but the blade was in excellent condition. Went ahead and purchased it because it was such a good deal. Anyway, after cleaning it up and carrying/using it yesterday I decided that I much prefered this one over the Endura 4. Prefer the handle design and the difference in overall weight is quite noticeable. Just wondering if anyone else prefers some of the older models more than the current Endura 4? If so, what is it that you prefer over the current model? Feel free to post photos also. Would love to see some of the older models.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pwet

pwet

Feb 13, 2009
    looks like this one had its tip reground, iirc E3 had a more acute tip.

i too prefer the endura 3 mostly because of the tip but also because the added liners don't make the E4 much more rigid so there's no point imo.

3. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002
    If you like the E3 or D3 look at the salt line.

4. arrowhd

Apr 19, 2011
    Yes, at some point it had been reground but they did a pretty good job. It was so dull that you would have had a hard time cutting butter with it though. I was suprised how well the ATS-55 steel took an edge.

Good point about the liners. This knife has been used but still locks up perfect and has no blade movement. Handle feels rock solid too.

5. arrowhd

Apr 19, 2011
    Interesting how the Salt line still retains the old handle shape.

6. pwet

pwet

Feb 13, 2009
    that's for two reasons, first is the liners, as the salt line is supposed to be as stainless as possible no liners is easier, the lockbar and blades are H1, clip is titanium and the screws are ??? more stainless than usual ...

second is that it saves costs to use something that already exists, especially since i'e read that FRN molds are pretty costly to produce/create.

7. IUKE12

IUKE12

Nov 25, 2005
    Exact opposite here, I bought my first Endura back in 1991 and have carried every generation since then. I thought the E3 was the holy grail and stocked up with duplicates, and then came the 4. I think it's the best yet, especially with the FFG blade and color choices. I sold all my NIB extra Endura3 knives as a result. To me, they feel smoother, the clip is a bit more refined, the tip is stronger, and did I mention all those neat colors:D

8. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I like them all, but the Endura 4's screw construction is a big plus, and FFG is killer. I love all of my Enduras, but I'll stick with the latest FFG flavor.

9. Fredde90210

Fredde90210

May 14, 2010
    I think the Endura 4 is the best ....so far. Hoping for a gen. 5 soon

10. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I like the E3. Light, great ergos, fits in my pockets well, pointy tip. Great EDC knife.

[​IMG]

11. scottbigboi

scottbigboi

Aug 16, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The black one belongs to my father,
    green one it's mine.
    I like the old one better,pointy tip and thicker !!

12. dialex

dialex

Oct 8, 2002
    Wow, thanks for the memories. It was nice to see the first and the last generation Enduras together. Looks like granpa Endura still is in shape ;)

13. arrowhd

Apr 19, 2011
    Great comparison photos Scott. I actually prefer the thicker saber blade myself. The FFG sure are great slicers though.

14. HuntBomb

HuntBomb

Sep 18, 2009
    4th Gen...FFG + VG-10 kick butt.

15. dennis357

dennis357

Jan 13, 2010
    I preferred the Endura 3 as it is lighter than the 4 but then they came out with the FFG blade and it is a toss up for me I like them both.