Endura Old vs New.

arrowhd

Gold Member
I had an Endura 4 and got rid of it. For some reason I just didn't care for it. This weekend I found what I believe is a Endura 3 at the antique market. This knife has been carried a ton but the blade was in excellent condition. Went ahead and purchased it because it was such a good deal. Anyway, after cleaning it up and carrying/using it yesterday I decided that I much prefered this one over the Endura 4. Prefer the handle design and the difference in overall weight is quite noticeable. Just wondering if anyone else prefers some of the older models more than the current Endura 4? If so, what is it that you prefer over the current model? Feel free to post photos also. Would love to see some of the older models.

IMG_9543.jpg

IMG_9544.jpg

looks like this one had its tip reground, iirc E3 had a more acute tip.

i too prefer the endura 3 mostly because of the tip but also because the added liners don't make the E4 much more rigid so there's no point imo.

If you like the E3 or D3 look at the salt line.

looks like this one had its tip reground, iirc E3 had a more acute tip.

Yes, at some point it had been reground but they did a pretty good job. It was so dull that you would have had a hard time cutting butter with it though. I was suprised how well the ATS-55 steel took an edge.

i too prefer the endura 3 mostly because of the tip but also because the added liners don't make the E4 much more rigid so there's no point imo.

Good point about the liners. This knife has been used but still locks up perfect and has no blade movement. Handle feels rock solid too.

that's for two reasons, first is the liners, as the salt line is supposed to be as stainless as possible no liners is easier, the lockbar and blades are H1, clip is titanium and the screws are ??? more stainless than usual ...

second is that it saves costs to use something that already exists, especially since i'e read that FRN molds are pretty costly to produce/create.

Exact opposite here, I bought my first Endura back in 1991 and have carried every generation since then. I thought the E3 was the holy grail and stocked up with duplicates, and then came the 4. I think it's the best yet, especially with the FFG blade and color choices. I sold all my NIB extra Endura3 knives as a result. To me, they feel smoother, the clip is a bit more refined, the tip is stronger, and did I mention all those neat colors:D

I like them all, but the Endura 4's screw construction is a big plus, and FFG is killer. I love all of my Enduras, but I'll stick with the latest FFG flavor.

I like the E3. Light, great ergos, fits in my pockets well, pointy tip. Great EDC knife.

mg1161q.jpg

mg1168.jpg

The black one belongs to my father,
green one it's mine.
I like the old one better,pointy tip and thicker !!

Wow, thanks for the memories. It was nice to see the first and the last generation Enduras together. Looks like granpa Endura still is in shape ;)

Great comparison photos Scott. I actually prefer the thicker saber blade myself. The FFG sure are great slicers though.

I preferred the Endura 3 as it is lighter than the 4 but then they came out with the FFG blade and it is a toss up for me I like them both.

Back