Recommendation? Engravograph Help

I have 4 complete brass letter/number sets available if your looking.

Can these machines be used for inlaying shields on pocket knives using the pantograph templates that Chris Crawford or others sell.? He sells 4:1 templates. I want a pantograph but can't get those huge machines, just like surface grinders, mills, down my steps to the basement.

These Hermes look like something suitable for small basement shops.

Yes, they can be used for inlaying if you use the proper cutting tool.
You can use the template with a diamond drag bit to outline your shields, then saw them out.

You can use the template with a diamond drag bit to outline your shields, then saw them out.
Bill, I had a question about an earlier comment regarding these types of pantographs for shield inlay in the covers. You'd mentioned they can be used for the outline, but not hogging out the interior? Is that correct? So I could use one with a template to do the outline, then switch to a primitive method like Dremel, drill press, or mill to hog out the middle?

I have an eye on a Gravograph IF-3 with motor. These seems similar to the New Hermes (I guess Gravograph purchased New Hermes at some point), and the Scott SM series. The Scott series the 004, and 005 seem to have the better adjustability for variable ratios.

Thanks

If you fitted the power graver with a very small tip rotary quill, you could cut out the recess.

Hi Bill.
I have an IL model Gravograph.
Do you know of a source for long shank end mills for this machine?
All I'm finding is dremel length in 1/16 inch
cutting diameter and I need a shank about 4 inches oal for this machine.
Thanks.
Kevin.

Search Ebay for cutters. There are several styles available.
The Gravograph machines do not use standard end mills.

Hi Bill.
I have an IL model Gravograph.
Do you know of a source for long shank end mills for this machine?
All I'm finding is dremel length in 1/16 inch
cutting diameter and I need a shank about 4 inches oal for this machine.
Thanks.
Kevin.
Gravograph is still in business, I believe and have extensive catalog of their bits. I also see some on ebay searching for Gravograph Cutters, or Hermes cutters.

If you still have issues finding any, I can send you one of mine, but don't ask me what the cutter is good for. I haven't gotten that far in experimenting with it. All I've used mine for is with the diamond scratch bit and scratching steel. It does ok scratching in to hardened steel. I've been experimenting with laying a mask of nail polish, scratching, and then using my electro etch to etch into and darken. That has been hit or miss for me.

Try engravers asphaultum instead of nail polish. Also, you only want a thin layer. "Graphic Chemical Senefelder's Liquid Asphaltum" is a good brand. A $20 pint will last you forever. Art suppliers sell asphaultum oil paint which is very good for etching.

Just dab or brush it on lightly or use a small rubber printer's roller. It only needs to be a thin layer to prevent the acid or electrolyte from the steel where you have not etched. Too thick and it "chips" or peels as the stylys or graver cuts trhough it.

Back