Enigma Knives Bronze No.3

I think you'll really like em. I carry mine every day pairing it with different folders. If you end up not liking either let me know and I'll buy at whatever you paid! (yeah I missed the drop! Haha)
I have two of these on the way. Really should have purchased one to try it out but I had a heck of a wait for this one and shipping was only $30 for the two. I was a little late but they still had a nice selection. Pics from their site. View attachment 903096 View attachment 903097

I think you'll really like em. I carry mine every day pairing it with different folders. If you end up not liking either let me know and I'll buy at whatever you paid! (yeah I missed the drop! Haha)
That's great to hear. Can't wait to get them. They are still making the long journey from Poland.

Still loving both of mine, been carrying my EZ open lately, (because it’s new) but after reading through the lastest on this thread, I’m gonna go grab one of my Enigmas and throw it in my pocket!

I hope you get yours soon, both of mine made it to my door here in Canada in less than two weeks, and they didn’t ship either till a couple days after the order.

Both their US2000 and M390 have proven to be outstanding for me. My fav steel is the US2000 which makes sense as my fav steel to this point has been Cruwear, and they are essentially the same. I think it’s perfect for a slipjoint, almost a stainless so you don’t have to worry about it, but eventually takes a slight patina fitting with a traditional knife. Edge retention and toughness are great yet easy to sharpen.

Still loving both of mine, been carrying my EZ open lately, (because it’s new) but after reading through the lastest on this thread, I’m gonna go grab one of my Enigmas and throw it in my pocket!

I hope you get yours soon, both of mine made it to my door here in Canada in less than two weeks, and they didn’t ship either till a couple days after the order.

Both their US2000 and M390 have proven to be outstanding for me. My fav steel is the US2000 which makes sense as my fav steel to this point has been Cruwear, and they are essentially the same. I think it’s perfect for a slipjoint, almost a stainless so you don’t have to worry about it, but eventually takes a slight patina fitting with a traditional knife. Edge retention and toughness are great yet easy to sharpen.

How do the EZ open and Enigma compare, since you have them both?

How do the EZ open and Enigma compare, since you have them both?

They are very different knives. EZ open is just that, very easy to open, light detent but not so light as to feel unsafe maybe a 4? But very different feel. The Enigma is a stiff slipjoint, to me 7-8 pull.

I prefer no easy open notch but without a nail nick it’s necessary on the Viper.

Both have fairly large handles which are great in hand and O.K. in pocket.

I like both blade shapes, but for most things I think I prefer the Enigma, with its less drastic belly and the plunge grind a little further out from the handle, (easier to wipe clean).

I’ve got US2000 and M390 Enigmas, and of course the Viper is M390. (My fav steel is Cruwear and US2000 is essentially that) So far both M390 knives are comparable. Good heat treat. The Viper was sharper out of box but both have perfectly even grinds so bringing the Enigma to a screaming edge was easy enough.

I’ll give the F&F edge to the Viper but not by a lot. The Enigma has a little gap between the spring and liners due to the washers. The Viper is open construction so not a factor. On both my Enigma’s the liners are slightly proud of the spring when open, (after a fair bit of use). I buffed the sharp edges off so you can barely notice, and if anything it provides a little more traction.

IMO both knives are worth more than the asking price and you should get both! Really though, both are using their own set of premium materials and coming in at the same price as everyone’s favourite traditional brand, (which I really like too) that uses of course good materials but as much I like 1095, steels like M390 and US2000 are quite a draw to try a different brand. Not to mention fancy pants pivots, (mosaic on Enigma and easily tightened on the Viper if ever needed), titanium liners on the Enigma, stainless steel on Viper, everyone keeps begging GEC to put out stainless and these guys are offering it with extra bells and whistles.

I really like both and am glad I don’t have to choose, but if I did have to, I’d grab an Enigma because they are not as readily available, I think there’s about 10 on their site unspoken for as of this post though...

They are very different knives. EZ open is just that, very easy to open, light detent but not so light as to feel unsafe maybe a 4? But very different feel. The Enigma is a stiff slipjoint, to me 7-8 pull.

I prefer no easy open notch but without a nail nick it’s necessary on the Viper.

Both have fairly large handles which are great in hand and O.K. in pocket.

I like both blade shapes, but for most things I think I prefer the Enigma, with its less drastic belly and the plunge grind a little further out from the handle, (easier to wipe clean).

I’ve got US2000 and M390 Enigmas, and of course the Viper is M390. (My fav steel is Cruwear and US2000 is essentially that) So far both M390 knives are comparable. Good heat treat. The Viper was sharper out of box but both have perfectly even grinds so bringing the Enigma to a screaming edge was easy enough.

I’ll give the F&F edge to the Viper but not by a lot. The Enigma has a little gap between the spring and liners due to the washers. The Viper is open construction so not a factor. On both my Enigma’s the liners are slightly proud of the spring when open, (after a fair bit of use). I buffed the sharp edges off so you can barely notice, and if anything it provides a little more traction.

IMO both knives are worth more than the asking price and you should get both! Really though, both are using their own set of premium materials and coming in at the same price as everyone’s favourite traditional brand, (which I really like too) that uses of course good materials but as much I like 1095, steels like M390 and US2000 are quite a draw to try a different brand. Not to mention fancy pants pivots, (mosaic on Enigma and easily tightened on the Viper if ever needed), titanium liners on the Enigma, stainless steel on Viper, everyone keeps begging GEC to put out stainless and these guys are offering it with extra bells and whistles.

I really like both and am glad I don’t have to choose, but if I did have to, I’d grab an Enigma because they are not as readily available, I think there’s about 10 on their site unspoken for as of this post though...
Thanks for a thorough review!

No problem, that’s part of why we’re here right? Just a difficult comparison to make considering one’s not actually a slipjoint. Another thing I’ll add is every Enigma is one of a kind, that I’ve seen anyway. Some are similar, but even the ones with the same handle material will have a different pivot.

No problem, that’s part of why we’re here right? Just a difficult comparison to make considering one’s not actually a slipjoint. Another thing I’ll add is every Enigma is one of a kind, that I’ve seen anyway. Some are similar, but even the ones with the same handle material will have a different pivot.

I understand, and really the only thing I was curious about comparing was the thinness of the grind. I think both knives look great! I have knives with smooth opening and closing and knives with snappy walk and talk. They are both good. I don't think I'll get both, though. The Enigma sounds more intriguing at the moment.

Both are ground thin behind the edge, and both have perfectly even grinds at that. They are great slicey knives! You wouldn’t be disappointed with either. I think M390 is great but I prefer the US2000, and from what I saw, that’s what Enigmas got available on their current run.

Back