• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

EPG Knife Belt Sharpener

Hello Blade Forum Members. Here is anothe really neat knife maker's tool that I did not find for sale anymore and have had to make my own and now will make available for those of you intrested in them. It will make knife sahrpening a lot more easier and will put a supper sharp edge on a knife. Some of the things that produce a supper sharp edge using this machine are that you allways maintain the same angle by using the clamp to give you a constant angle. The other thing is that you are putting the edge on a platen ranther than on a slack belt, so the edge is more in the shape of a V rather than a U exageratedly speaking and the last thing is that you can replace the abrasive belt and replace it with a leather belt and add some rouge and use it to strop the edge and that is also better that the buffer beacause it does not give like a buffing wheel and will not distort the cutting edge. You can put a supper sharp edge on most knives in less that two minutes. You can just use it for your self or you could even start a small knife sharpping buisness with it as some other people do at farmer's markets, outdoor related shows, generate a clientel of people you know, ect..This knife sharpener uses standard 1 x 30 belts that can be purchased from Pop's Knife Supply and only cost $1.15 each and they have a good assortment of grits. It works of of standard 110 volt house hold current. I will only make them on an order basis which means I will make yours if you comfrim your order first and do not take deposits or any payment until I let you know that yours is ready to ship. The price is $425. plus shipping. You can contact me at (956) 771-7749 or email me at ep3757@yahoo.com

IMG_57531.jpg

IMG_57601.jpg

securedownload1-1.jpg

it looks like a modded harbor freight sander.

What kind of motor is on there? Looks like a great idea with putting the clamp on there though

Your machine looks nice, although you may have some patent infringement issues to deal with. Your clamp looks just like a Lanske clamp. Also from prior experience, you will have a problem sharpening large knives. There is a similar belt sharpener in production that addresses these issues. It has a belt speed of less than 900 feet per minute. It uses 3 belts that are easy to change within seconds. By using a longer deck for the clamp to ride in, you can sharpen blades of just about any length. You can see the details of this machine at http://sites.google.com/site/thesharpshoponline/. This machine is patented. The selling price for this machine is $419.95 plus shipping. I am not trying to downgrade your machine. Just want to warn you about producing this machine for sale. Personal use of your home-made machine probably won't cause you any problems, but I suggest you research patents to avoid any lawsuits for patent infringement. It could cost you more than you can make. What is your belt speed for this unit?

Dear Genehoffpauir if you like that one made out of wood better and are worried about a patent buy theirs if you have not bought it already. There is always room for all so no hard feelings and enjoy your day.

Your machine looks nice, although you may have some patent infringement issues to deal with. Your clamp looks just like a Lanske clamp. Also from prior experience, you will have a problem sharpening large knives. There is a similar belt sharpener in production that addresses these issues. It has a belt speed of less than 900 feet per minute. It uses 3 belts that are easy to change within seconds. By using a longer deck for the clamp to ride in, you can sharpen blades of just about any length. You can see the details of this machine at http://sites.google.com/site/thesharpshoponline/. This machine is patented. The selling price for this machine is $419.95 plus shipping. I am not trying to downgrade your machine. Just want to warn you about producing this machine for sale. Personal use of your home-made machine probably won't cause you any problems, but I suggest you research patents to avoid any lawsuits for patent infringement. It could cost you more than you can make. What is your belt speed for this unit?

I'm interested to see the patent info on this.

Also from prior experience, you will have a problem sharpening large knives

That's a valid point.

I have a standard kichen knife set and all were able to be sharpened with out a problem but yes a knife larger that your regular chef style knife would not work but if any one would be intrested I can make to take a 1 X 42 belt instead of the 1 X 30 amd that would give you more room to sharpen larger knives.

Enrique
Great looking grinder, Looks very well made and very well though out.
Keep up the great job of creating these awesome grinders.
I love em.
Chris

No offense to anybody, what I see from the pictures on both grinders they are similar with the same concept but not the same. One grinder has a Belt Centering lever under a wood deck, the other has an adjusting centering knob. One grinder has a flat surface that has a two bevel step the other does not. On one of the pictures the epg grinder shows that it has rubber mounts under the base, I"m guessing for vibration. Personally I think the epg grinder looks like it's built better the other grinder looks like a science project.

Nice looking rig. Does the belt travel towards the edge or away from it? When I sharpen a knife with a jig, I trace around a finger of the clamp onto the blade with a diamond glass cutter so that I always get the jig attached in the same place. This also shortens the setup time.

A couple of more questions:

What's the RPM for the motor?
What's the minimum angle (approximately is fine)?

Looks good -- better than my Harbor Freight special and freehand!

Nice machine! It looks to be an improved design of the "Lil' Sharpie" that we used to produce for Koval Knives.

They are neat machines and they do a nice job.

Great photos!

-Rob

The nice thing about patents is that they protect original ideas. I'm guessing that this idea has been around for at least 15 years or so.

Here is the page from Koval's 2003 catalog:

lil-sharpie.jpg

Mick Koval was selling these a year earlier before the catalog was updated. He had an old wooden version that he used for many years before that and he wanted to offer a more robust production model for sell. Hence the design and production of the "lil Sharpie" seen in this picture. When Jantz aquired Koval..they faded out the machine and Beaumont Metal Works stopped producing it. Beaumont Metal works designed the machine in the photo...but the concept was not new. I think Enrique took the same concept and designed an even better machine.

At this point, who really knows if a patent is legit. I guess to really know, we would need to get the number and look it up. In the meantime, this machine has been around for a while...all in various designs...and I must say that Enrique's machine is the nicest I've seen. It looks much better than the design that we produced here at Beaumont Metal Works.

I've used it on large kitchen knives and they work well. Koval sold a lot of them to professional Kitchens.

Occasionally, we still get phone calls for them. Now I know where to refer them too.

Last edited:
Thats a nice looking machine.House of Blades in Ft.Worth uses and sells something similar to that.I dont know who builds theirs. There seems to be lots of them out there.I dont see any patent problem.Good luck!

Does anyone know who has the patten for bottled water, potting soil, the concept of toilet paper or clothes pins. My idea is that I'm not exacttly copping anyones machine like I did with the JL grinder but keep in mind I did it because the person that desinged it told me he "did not give a $hit if I made it that he was no longer making it". Later I found out that Tom had bougth so called rights to make them and we talked about the issue without a fight or anything like that and I stoped making them but made my own version of a 2 X 72 belt grinder. I did not come up with the concept of a 2 X 72 grinder but did desinged my version of one so I think there should be no problem like there should not be a problem with the sharpener. It seems like a lot of people are concered about a paten and if you stop and think about a lot of knife makers copy Bob Loveless and no one says a thing and they are exact copies of his knives. Tell me what you guys think of this it is intresting to here you guys. And by the way as someone else said good thing Rob Frink does not get his feelings hurt when a lot of guys copy his KMG grinder so quit the vikering and do not worry about patent infringement that I do not care about it I just do what I think is right and fair to others. Bye the way here is picture of the 2 X 72 grinder that I make.

Thats a great looking grinder.How much are they in a basic form?Also,you make fantastic looking folders!

Yeah I really doubt that they went though the expense and time to get it a patient on that contraption

Hello, I have a patent on this device. I have had a patent for over 2 years. I will gladly look the other way if i get a lump sum of $30,000. my patent # is 3647 I 3245 am 3466 lie 877 ing. thanks Marek

Attachments

• IMG_57601.jpg
    IMG_57601.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 160
Back