Ernie Emerson at Blade Show West

I spent the whole day today at Blade Show West. Emerson Knives had a booth there.

During the morning, I spent about 1 1/2 hours speaking with Ernie and listening to him speak with others. This is the first time I have met him. Let me start off by saying that I was EXTREMELY impressed by him. He is very, very nice. He is warm, friendly, interesting, patient and intelligent. Listening to him talk about his self-defense techniques and training is fascinating and heart warming.

I decide to approach him very gently about the issue regarding the wait for his custom knives. He gave a very thoughtful explanation. He told me that he made a very difficult decision a few years ago to concentrate all of his efforts on getting his production company up and running. Unfortunately, it was a lot more work than he expected: It took much longer than he hoped and he had to devote 100% of his energy to that. He feels very, very bad towards the many customers that have a custom on order with him. I suggested to him that he put a brief explanation on his web site about this and he said he might do that.

He brought up the issue of why he doesn't contribute too much on-line. First of all, as everyone can imagine, he is very, very busy. He gets up at 4:30am most mornings. Secondly, he really does not like conflict and he feels that delicate situations and explanations can quickly cause tempers to flair. He does not like for that to happen. I'm sure I'm not explaining this clearly but I was touched by what he said.

I've gained a very high level of respect for Ernie. I purchased from him at the show a Commander even though I had recently sold mine (a mistake indeed!) I must admit that part of the reason for doing this is because I wanted to get an autographed receipt from him. The Commander is a great knife - I recommend it highly.

Ernie has a lot of friends. Many people dropped by to chat with him. People really like him.

In the afternoon, I returned to his table. Mary, his wife, had joined Ernie. I've spoken with her many times on the phone but this is the first time I met her also. She is very low key. I purchased one of their shirts and I asked to be put on the list for a CQC-8 (I also have a Viper on order which I ordered two years ago). Mary would not accept a deposit; she said she would put me down for one without a deposit. She said she has stopped collecting deposits for the customs. She said the wait would be 4+ years. I thought it was great that she did not take a deposit.

I'm sure that a lot of people are wondering if Ernie had any customs for sale at the show. He did not. Many people, including myself, asked him this. He said he simply has not had the time to make them for this show and he is working on making the customs for his back orders.

I'm glad I met Ernie today.

Don: Thank you for the "Ernie Info"! When I spoke with him a few years ago, I was similarly touched by his attitude and friendliness. He always seemed to enjoy chatting with people at the show. He answered all of my stupid questions with a smile. I have yet to buy a custom from him, but I own the entire production line. Maybe I need to get my name on the list (deposit-free!). He is one of my favorite knife makers, period.

------------------
"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm."
RFrost5746@aol.com or Robert_Frost@ars.aon.com

I was so touched by him that I can not think anything negative about him, now that I have met him. We all have to make difficult decisions in our lives and something has to be sacrificed. I'm sure that Ernie would have loved to be making his custom knives while he was setting up his production business but he is only human and there are only 24 hours in a day!

Yes, I spoke with a few years ago at the NY Custom Show and he was an extremely nice, polite guy with a sensitive side. So it is strange to hear many speak poorly of him. I understand he is extremely back logged and it is cause for dispute with many customers, but it is my belief that he is an honest person whose demand exceeded supply in too short of a time span.

[This message has been edited by Ronald Reagan (edited 09 October 1999).]

I was also at the show and must say that he did a very good job explaining things so you can make a very informed choice. The discussion has swayed me more toward a specwar or commander over a BM axis lock. This is going to be a tough decision. I know the easy answer is to get all of them, but not all of us has Bill Gates money.

------------------

Back