Esbit vs. Hexamine vs. Trioxane...please help!!!

O.K., what do I need to know?( really, which has performed best for everybody?)I've got a couple of these little tommy stoves, and would like to get away from the 'Whisper Loud' types of stoves.

I know military personel use these types of stoves/fuels, but how well do they work in various conditions, what can be done for the best performance(primarily the fuel bars/tabs)?: wet...very cold weather...very hot weather...whole...broken into pieces...how much to use at lower temps...(how to)light with metal match...or any other info that might help.

I used heat-tabs alot in the service, US GI issue Trioxane, I believe. They are a good heat source if you make a little stove out of a tuna size can. Cut holes for air and 1/3 of a tab will heat a cup of coffee! Keep in mind that the fumes are like tear gas!! Not for use in tents!! Candles are really good heat sources, and last a long time! I've never used them to heat coffee, but a couple of candles in a tent or under a ponch can really take the chill off!

I missed this post so here is my $0.02. I have used Trioxine a lot and I always use a metal match to light it. I just scrape it a little and toss a spark on that. I use a full bar to heat ramen noodles in a canteen cup. Hexamine I do the same with. I like these due to the high heat output, no smoke, and no flames. You do need to be careful not to get too close or you will get burnt before you realize it due to the fact there is no visible flame. Have fun. Take care.

What is Esbit?

------------------
Yol bolsun,
Jamie

Logansan,

Esbit is the brand name (I think German) of another solid fuel "tablet". It might be 'spiritus' as the ones were called in my childhood. I do not know the exact ingredients.
Esbit makes also the folding pocket size mini stoves that fold into a ~2x8x12 cm metal box that can accomodate 6 airtightly packed rectangular fuel tablets. When folded out, it provides support for a pot and a platform above ground to put the fuel onto.
Simple design, packs small and provides you with a simple stove alternative.

HM

Gentlemen; would you mind informing me of the most inexpensive place to obtain some trioxane bars?

Thanks, Walt

I've purchased each type of fuel recently.

It appears that the Esbit brand fuel out performs the Hexamine stuff. It burns completely, and efficiently. It leaves virtually NO residue on the stove or pot. Now the Hexy stuff is harder to light, it leaves a mounded, hard residue that would eventually need to be chipped away. It absolutely will NOT burn through completely either!?!?!? I've only been able to get a tablet to burn completely by cutting/breaking it up. It has taken me about 5+ Hexy tablets to even come close to do what the Esbit can do.( which figuring weight and space they equal about the same) So the Hexy seems a little more involved.

Therefore I'm not very impressed by the Hexamine fuel(maybe it's an old batch-can it go bad?) So Hexy's out the window.

The test's I ran were inside @ 70ish degrees and outside @ roughly 20 degrees(with and without wind). During the colder tests they were both an absolute bear to light, so I'm not quite sure what to expect in colder temps yet.

The Trioxane just got purchased from the local Army/Navy (less than a buck a box-3 tabs) and I have yet to put it up against the Esbit. I've read that Triox is EASY to light, even with flint/steel, so we'll see. The one disadvantage I know of before testing is that the Triox is deadly(I already know not to use it indoors)and the Esbit burns clean & safely in closed spaces.

I'll continue to do some experiments and keep everyone informed of my findings(rainy season's here!)

Thank's for everyone elses input.

Originally posted by Walt Welch:
Gentlemen; would you mind informing me of the most inexpensive place to obtain some trioxane bars?

Thanks, Walt

Walt, at www.sportsmansguide.com You can get 12 packs with three bars each for $3.97.That works out to 11 cents a bar.
I've ordered from them before and orders arive within two weeks.
PAPA

Back