Esee 3 Standard Sheath

Has anyone ever altered the standard esee 3 plastic shealth?

Reason for the question: I just picked up one recently and the sheath is really, really, tight.... which got me to thinking:
If i were to add a couple of liners to the scales, which would then make the handle thickness about the same as my izula 2, I'm pretty sure that the handle would simply not fit into the sheath.

So, I could:
1. split the sheath by drilling out all the connecting rivets, put spaces in and then (hopefully) use some 'appropriate' screw/bolts to connect the sides together again; alternatively just remove the x2 either side of the entrance and 'hope' for no breakage; though I figure it'll still be "tight".
2. make up some custom micarta handle scales which have the original's front end (to fit the sheath) and then allow more "width" around the meat of the handle -> like in the 3D ones. I have some homemade canvas jean micarta that i could experiment with.
3. buy a custom kydex sheath (which then makes the original sheath redundant) and means less "bother".

Any other thoughts / suggestions and/or mod's that others have done in this regard?

Joe.

When you grasp the knife, just use your thumb to push the sheath next to it towards your body flexing the sheath.
That pushes the nub away and makes the knife easier to remove .I wouldn't grind the nub.
Once you know the proper method it would be too loose.

It will break in. Just use it. I’d worry about the sheath eventually losing retention if you filed down the nubs.

When you grasp the knife, just use your thumb to push the sheath next to it towards your body flexing the sheath.
That pushes the nub away and makes the knife easier to remove .I wouldn't grind the nub.
That absolutely did not work. The most efficient way to draw the knife was to use a rope to tie the sheath to a large tree (there is a nice, big hole in the sheath), then wrap a chain around the handle (no lanyard hole), attach the chain to a come-along, and the come-along to another tree. Then start cranking.

Heating the sheath did not work either.

That absolutely did not work. The most efficient way to draw the knife was to use a rope to tie the sheath to a large tree (there is a nice, big hole in the sheath), then wrap a chain around the handle (no lanyard hole), attach the chain to a come-along, and the come-along to another tree. Then start cranking.

Heating the sheath did not work either.
Holy shite. My 5 draws easier than that. Lol. I hope your joking but i honestly dont care this made me laugh pretty good. Do most people here even know you meant a tool or are they still trying to come along?

Holy shite. My 5 draws easier than that. Lol. I hope your joking but i honestly dont care this made me laugh pretty good. Do most people here even know you meant a tool or are they still trying to come along?
Yeah, my ESEE 4 draws just fine with a thumb push. So does the Izula. And the ESEE 3 now draws so nicely that I carry it more often than the Bradford Guardian 3.

Seriously, I could originally draw the ESEE 3 by holding the sheath in one hand and the handle in the other and pulling really hard, but it would not have been safe for anybody to be standing next to me. Also would not have been safe when I was driving and my wife wanted the knife to open an ebay package wrapped in 12 layers of tape.

I think that a come-along might also be known as a hand-operated ratchet cable puller, but I never heard anybody call it that. Regional names may differ.

you have to love this community for the variation of "thinking" ... together with the humour.

thanks guys :)

I didn't hate the factory sheath but the kydex I made after a while makes me so happy I cannot imagine going back. Just buy an good kydex made for the knife with the liners you want and be forever happy.

Back